Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,187 times

Advertisements

I'm considering Oregon State University for my Master's Degree which I'll begin in the fall of 2012. I've never been to Oregon and the farthest west I've been is Wyoming. I'm from Michigan so I know Oregon will be a lot different from here. I have a few questions about the area that I hope you guys won't mind answering.

How expensive is it to live as a college student in Corvallis? I'll probably live off campus so I'd like to get a general idea of how much rent, food and gas costs over there.

Are the people friendly? I don't mean to offend anyone with this question, but I've lived in Michigan all my life and the lack of friendliness here is starting to wear on me. I don't speak for all of Michigan, but the area I'm in is rather rude. Are people in Corvallis willing to make friends?

I'm a black female and I know that Oregon has a very small population of black people. I don't really care about finding other black people (It's not like I'm going to be searching for them), I just would like to know if I'll be accepted by people there. It won't bother me if I'm the only black person around wherever I go, I just don't want to be treated differently because of it. Also, I'm interested in dating wherever I go for my MBA, so are people in Corvallis open to interracial dating? Would men there date a black woman?

If someone could help me out here I would really appreciate it, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM

43 posts, read 228,030 times
If you go to craigslist you'll see a good representation of the average rent you'll be paying. If you're just looking for a room, then it averages about 350 - 500 + utilities. You'll need to start searching early though, they go quickly. Gas is about 3.50$/g but the town is mostly walkable if you live within a mile or 2 of OSU and the buses are free.

We have a Safeway, Trader Joe's, and Fred Meyer, so food prices are average if you shop there. Our Co-op & Market Choice are more expensive. The summer's farmer market has decent pricing.

People in Corvallis are very friendly, we're pretty laid back in general. I've seen interracial couples here, and haven't seen anyone react negatively. From what I've seen on the forums, minorities have said they haven't had any major issues with racism here. I think there are a couple threads within the last year addressing the topic.

We're a fairly liberal little college town and the campus is beautiful. Goodluck!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I have a nephew going to school there. He found a clean 1 bedroom in walking distance (15 minutes) of campus for $400 a month + utilities. Plan on cooking your own food. The campus food service is outrageously expensive. I don't think anyone will care what color your skin is.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
How expensive is it to live as a college student in Corvallis?
A nice 1-BR runs around $450-550/month, depending on how new the building is and how close you are to campus. Food can be either insanely cheap (if you shop at Grocery Outlet) or take up your entire salary and then some (if you shop at Market of Choice). Electricity can get rather expensive when it's cold out, especially if you live in an older place with poor insulation, but on the up side, summer is pretty mild so you won't need AC.

No one will notice or care that you're black. It's true that there are very few black people in town, but there are considerable asian/latino/middle eastern populations. Corvallis is an extremely liberal place.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,060 times
Great (small) restaurants there as well. My kid went to OSU and I still go to corvallis to eat out and tailgate!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:05 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLagoon91 View Post
so are people in Corvallis open to interracial dating? Would men there date a black woman?
There was something a bit strange in how this question was framed...some stroke of irony or paradox...but it took me a minute to put my finger on it.

In parts of the country where "interracial dating" is truly accepted, that term -- "interracial" -- isn't applied to it. There just isn't that much cognizance about that particular feature of the relationship. In Oregon generally, people don't poke their noses into private interpersonal matters to the extent that they do in the South and the East. Even Oregonians who don't really approve of pairings that are interracial, same-sex, premarital or what have you, generally tolerate them without comment. But in Corvallis there's much more emphasis on celebrating diversity. So I would say, yes, people in Corvallis are open to "interracial" relationships, but they don't really call them that (unless perhaps they're over the age of 70).

Now you'll still have to deal with all the appearance prejudices that come with being a woman: too fat/too thin, too old/too young, not big enough on top/too big on bottom, too tall/too short, hair not right, smile not fetching enough, teeth not white enough/straight enough, skin not smooth enough...if you can make it through all those male pre-screening hurdles, you'll be in the Corvallis dating loop no matter what your ethnicity.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM

43 posts, read 228,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
There was something a bit strange in how this question was framed...some stroke of irony or paradox...but it took me a minute to put my finger on it.

In parts of the country where "interracial dating" is truly accepted, that term -- "interracial" -- isn't applied to it. There just isn't that much cognizance about that particular feature of the relationship. In Oregon generally, people don't poke their noses into private interpersonal matters to the extent that they do in the South and the East. Even Oregonians who don't really approve of pairings that are interracial, same-sex, premarital or what have you, generally tolerate them without comment. But in Corvallis there's much more emphasis on celebrating diversity. So I would say, yes, people in Corvallis are open to "interracial" relationships, but they don't really call them that (unless perhaps they're over the age of 70).
Hah, I was trying to figure out why I felt a little weird in how I answered that question. I'd rep you, but apparently I've been repping you too much.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:49 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Now you'll still have to deal with all the appearance prejudices that come with being a woman: too fat/too thin, too old/too young, not big enough on top/too big on bottom, too tall/too short, hair not right, smile not fetching enough, teeth not white enough/straight enough, skin not smooth enough...if you can make it through all those male pre-screening hurdles, you'll be in the Corvallis dating loop no matter what your ethnicity.
Good point, but one man's fright is another's fancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: