Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,559 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We have visited Lake Oswego and find it absolutely beautiful. We're considering a move there from San Francisco, and it seems perfect for us in so many ways- we're quiet, eco-conscious, outdoorsy, etc. Our only concern is about the atmosphere for gay/lesbian couples. We're a lesbian couple, and we're looking for a place where we'll be comfortable, and where people in general won't be concerned about sexual orientation. If anyone has thoughts on how Lake Oswego sits on the socially progressive vs. discriminatory continuum, we'd really appreciate hearing your replies. Thanks very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM

141 posts, read 400,985 times
There are other areas around where your family would probably feel more comfortable.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM

14 posts, read 18,442 times
Not true at all; you should be just fine!!! There are, of course, more liberal areas in the portland metro but you will find the majority of residents to be educated, tolerant folks. I grew up there and had a friend with two moms and, as far as i could tell, it was a non-issue.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 AM

Thank you so much - that's just what we were hoping! We'd like to just do our regular neighborhood activities, (e.g., taking walks, watering the flowers, sitting at a cafe, going to the Farmer's Market), and have our sexual orientation simply be one of a number of possible combinations, as irrelevant to most people as our vegetable selection might be. :-)

Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
I personally think you'd be happier closer in, such as the Hawthorn District, down around Sellwood, near Alberta, or in the Mt. Tabor area. All of the same-sex couples I know live in one of these four areas, with Hawthorn and Mt. Tabor being the favorites.

Lake Oswego does not have the same sort of community feeling that it sounds like you're looking for. It's not a walkable city for the most part, there aren't a lot of cafes to sit at. Watering the flowers is done by immigrants in logo'ed sweat shirts. You get more of a hoity-toity feeling there, and in my opinion just does not seem friendly unless you drive the right type of car and have the right type of job. The local Farmers Market seems more like an afterthought for the city to fit in with it's neighbors.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM

Thanks very much to each of you for your thoughtful replies. We really appreciate people taking the time to help us!

Old 03-12-2011, 02:28 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
My dear friends in Lake Oswego jokingly call it 'Lake NoNegro.' The joke is that if you see a black person there, it's a Trailblazer. However, I don't know of any homophobic undercurrents--but I hardly get around town much. I do know that those same friends' son is gayer than the 90s, and they never seemed worried about living there with regard to that.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,846 times
We moved here from the Bay Area almost 20 years ago, and I have to say that at that time, it was a bit of a culture shock regarding the lack of diversity. There was an anti-gay proposition on the November ballot, which unfortunately happens in a lot of places. What stuck in my mind, though, is that a friend who was a minister in a small town west of Portland asked my husband and I to come to a town hall meeting to discuss the issue from the "against" perspective, as he couldn't find any people in his congregation that were willing to do so. We were shocked, as we hadn't realized that there are parts of Oregon that are extremely conservative. I remember having the discussion that if the measure passed, we would have to move. Thankfully, it didn't, so here we are.

Having said that, yes, there are some very conservative areas in Oregon, and as you probably know, some very liberal ones as well. Basically, the Portland Metro area and Eugene are the most liberal areas in the state. Of course, there are conservative sections within each area. Lake Oswego, as one poster mentioned, is not exactly known for their diversity. We have friends who live there, and as in all towns, you can find nice and not so nice people. To be honest, I wouldn't pick that as my first choice if I were moving here as a lesbian couple. Don't want to generalize, but the stereotype of Lake O is Conservative, White, Republican. You can take that FWIW.

I live in Beaverton, and you some could say the same about this town. We do have gay friends who live here, and i've asked them if they've ever felt excluded. Sure, there are some close-minded people, but overall, I think their experience has been positive. It's pretty much suburbia, so if you're looking for a more urban environment, you might want to consider Portland.

I'll also say that in 20 years, the diversity in this area has definitely improved!

Good luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon