U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:11 PM

185 posts, read 703,735 times

Advertisements

Go to Smith Rock SP just outside of Redmond. Great hiking & rockclimbing
You can tent camp overite so it makes for a great weekend trip
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,438,765 times
Sometimes there is snow and ice inland during winter. That doesn't make for very good traveling conditions, so often times we'll go somewhere during fall. The weather is usually alright during the fall season.

No I don't feel a real need to get away during winter. You get used to the rain after a while.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:22 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,771,221 times
If you suffer from SAD, there is no place in Oregon that will cure you in the middle of the winter. The days are too short. Even in Eastern Oregon, the cloud cover is pretty continuous.

Plan on light treatments, drugs, or winter vacations in Mexico.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,199 posts, read 45,368,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you suffer from SAD, there is no place in Oregon that will cure you in the middle of the winter. The days are too short. Even in Eastern Oregon, the cloud cover is pretty continuous.

Plan on light treatments, drugs, or winter vacations in Mexico.
very true, I'd head to southern hemisphere. When I traveled to Asia every month I met lots of folks from northern Canada who had farms or homes in both hemispheres.

a frequent trip to the Cook islands should help

I still see flights to Singapore for $500 (plus you will get nearly enough air miles for a free domestic flight, like So Cal or Mexico ) You can take a weekend flight , then return on a Monday morning and if you transit in Seattle, you can be back to work by 9AM Monday. It only ends up being a one hour flight, but it seems a bit longer...

As mentioned it is possible to head to southern OR or NO Cal. I use a 10-14 day weather map to look for sunny areas, and take quick trips to those spots. I am a bit sunshine deprived having grown up in CO and WYO with 300+ days of sunshine. It could snow 12" overnight and melt off by noon. I hate getting those calls in January when the CO residents mention 60 - 70F day after a chinook wind evening; knowing that I won't see 70F till June and likely not much sun till then either.

WARNING, you may not get used to rain and gray. (If you truly have SAD, that is not possible). Nights are worse for me, (really, really dark and rainy, and gross when you run over possums that you don't see). I really miss the moon and stars. It helped to work night shift, and be under bright lights for an extra 10 hrs / day. Plus you are free all day to get outside and catch what light there is. (Commute is much better too ) Pay was 10% greater too. (helps make up for the 8% tax)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-02-2007 at 02:02 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM

59 posts, read 214,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Let's hope not. Juniper is a water thief that exterminates all competing vegetation. It has unfortunately spread because of fire suppression. If an area attains a 60% closed canopy of Juniper, it will be so ecologically damaged that it will never recover naturally, even if the juniper is removed.

Vast areas of Eastern Oregon need to burn, as soon as possible. However, the spread of housing into rural areas puts homes at risk from brush fires, so that is a real problem.

In the long run, the recent fires near Burns are the best thing that could have happened to the area. In the short run, many ranchers lost all their summer forage for cattle, and will have to sharply reduce the size of their herds to get by.
Disregarding the facts of ecology, the smell of Juniper reminds one of eastern Oregon. How that got sidetracked into ecological discussion is beyond comprehension.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:04 PM

35 posts, read 181,630 times
We need to lighten up *wink* *wink*

Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 PM

504 posts, read 1,331,068 times
Kah-Nee-Tah! And the drive there from Portland is wonderful. First the mountains, then the open Ponderosa pine forests and finally - the desert!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 AM

1,313 posts, read 6,030,774 times
It might sound ironic, but often the best bet for a nearby sun break in the middle of the winter is the coast. In the valley you have mountains on both sides that lock in the clouds. The coast is often clear between storm cells, but you have to time it right.

Another issue for SAD sufferers, though, is that morning sunlight is particularly important...as soon as you wake up. Your retinas have just been through eight to ten hours of light privation and your dopamine receptors are hungry for the chemical satisfaction that comes when photons strike them. The fact that the sun might break through the fog at noon and leave nothing but clear skies for another eight hours does not entirely compensate for a gloomy morning (though it's better than all-day overcast).

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM

162 posts, read 476,825 times
Everyone sais that the best escape is to go to Bend in the wintertime, but everytime I look at the forecast for Bend in the winter, it is primarily gray like Portland. However, if it is sunny, I do recommend a trip out there. I spent a day there this past weekend and went to Smith Rock and must say that it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The desert landscape made me think I was in New Mexico or Utah and not Oregon. From the top you have a beautiful view of the desert landscape to the east and the three sisters, Mt. Jefferson to the west.

In the end I think its best to do everything you can to adjust to the gray because we cant be getting in the car and driving 3 hours to the east everytime it is cloudy. That would be unhealthy and expensive at the same time.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:44 PM

96 posts, read 147,767 times
I live in Eastern Oregon. Pretty much anywhere east of the Cascades is drier and has more sun. I love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon