U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:12 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,667,402 times

Advertisements

I drive east on I 84, usually have to get past Hood River or The Dalles to find sun!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 25,476 times
Default So. Cal. is hell on earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I had SAD in Portland as well and was tempted by those light treatments. Pretty sad that one has to buy a light to feel good (no pun intended). Anyway, my solution... we moved to Spokane Washington.. a lot more sunshine but I still get depressed in the winter months. It is much better than the crap that one must put up with in Southern Cal. I would never go back to that rat race no matter how much sun there is. I would rather be SAD then MAD...LOL

Anyway, I am tired and need to go to bed, getting silly
Rayln, I know what you're talking about, this hell foresaken trash dump L.A. has made violent seniors dangerous, old ladies flipping me the bird over a parking slot, I'M outa here, Brookings here I come!!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 PM

899 posts, read 2,699,111 times
We netflix and always seem to have good movie to watch..I am a hort volunteer at a nearby garden in silverton and we garden in the winter ..Love being outside in anything above 35..I think you have to stay busy to beat the gloomy atitude.
I feel sorry for those of you with SAD

Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 PM

723 posts, read 1,163,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziera View Post
I read some people in Portland/Salem etc (rainy areas) will escape on weekends to the Eastern part of Oregon.

Can someone tell me where to go to get some brighter skies?

Thanks
I think those around Portland only have to go to The Dalles, OR ( about 80 miles east of Portland ) as The Dalles is much dryer, much hotter ( and colder too ) because it is clear skies more than 75% of the year.

Those around Eugene probably would go to Bend. Once you get south of Roseburg, cloudy skies are not really an issue anymore.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,979,856 times
Why would anyone want to escape the clouds and rain? Just think it could be blizzarding as in the east.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:15 PM

723 posts, read 1,163,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Why would anyone want to escape the clouds and rain? Just think it could be blizzarding as in the east.
I totally agree. Most people around here though don't even think about that, because they act as if the clouds and rain are the worst the weather could be, that is, until we get freezing rain or days of cold and snow ( very rare here ) and then they go back to bitching about the rain again...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM

113 posts, read 228,447 times
I never get away from the rain, my moss-coat would dry out.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,799,164 times
The lousiest weather of the year is any sunny day over 85 degrees. When it hits 90, I start looking for shelter, and 100 degrees is just miserable. A little rain is no reason not to be outside. You aren't the Wicked Witch of the West. You won't melt.

Carhartt has wonderful nanofiber rain gear that is cloth that never gets wet. It ventilates like any other piece of clothing. The wind blows right through it, enough that sometimes I wear a wind breaker under the rain gear. It completely eliminates the "soaking in your own sweat" feeling of rubber rain gear. It's expensive, but well worth it.

Once you start spending your days outside, you quickly find out that the cloud cover breaks up on most days, even in the dead of winter.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,271,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The lousiest weather of the year is any sunny day over 85 degrees. When it hits 90, I start looking for shelter, and 100 degrees is just miserable. A little rain is no reason not to be outside. You aren't the Wicked Witch of the West. You won't melt.

Carhartt has wonderful nanofiber rain gear that is cloth that never gets wet. It ventilates like any other piece of clothing. The wind blows right through it, enough that sometimes I wear a wind breaker under the rain gear. It completely eliminates the "soaking in your own sweat" feeling of rubber rain gear. It's expensive, but well worth it.

Once you start spending your days outside, you quickly find out that the cloud cover breaks up on most days, even in the dead of winter.
Are you SURE you won't melt?

When living in Umatilla County (roughly 6 inches of rain a year) you'd think so. It sprinkled one Halloween we were there and people talked about keeping their kids in. There was talk about "the hard rain" when you could walk between the raindrops. They reacted to it like Southerners do to snow...

It's just what you're used to. I'd rather be working outside getting snowed on at 25 degrees than working outside getting rained on at 35...

Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,799,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Are you SURE you won't melt?

When living in Umatilla County (roughly 6 inches of rain a year) you'd think so. It sprinkled one Halloween we were there and people talked about keeping their kids in. There was talk about "the hard rain" when you could walk between the raindrops. They reacted to it like Southerners do to snow...

It's just what you're used to. I'd rather be working outside getting snowed on at 25 degrees than working outside getting rained on at 35...
It's all about having the right gear. That's why I mentioned the Carhartt rain gear. When it gets cold enough to snow, the rain gear goes in a closet and the thinsulate ear flap cap and gloves come out. I also have a 15 year old pair of Danner boots that will take me anywhere. The leather is oil finish, the seams are tight, and I have kept the boots greased and waxed for as long as I have owned them. I use a layer of boot grease, let it dry, then wax the boots with a heavy layer of paste wax polish. I can slog through mud and water all day long with dry, warm feet.

I worked construction for 25 years before trading my hammer for a desk, and learned how to stay comfortable outdoors in all sorts of weather. My whole life I have suffered from SAD, which is why I spent my youth working outside. Now, I just take light treatments three days a week, but I still take care of my ranch, hunt and fish in all kinds of weather. For hunting, the nastier the weather the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon