U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 15,219 times

Advertisements

I've never been there but I heard that Baker City (located on the Oregon/Idaho border on the Oregon side on Interstate 84) is an excellent town to get away to if you want to get away from the rain in the winter time. But, in the summer time, it can get up to 110 degerees F. Ouch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 AM

723 posts, read 1,163,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonj338 View Post
I've never been there but I heard that Baker City (located on the Oregon/Idaho border on the Oregon side on Interstate 84) is an excellent town to get away to if you want to get away from the rain in the winter time. But, in the summer time, it can get up to 110 degerees F. Ouch.
Well, Baker City is sunnier than Portland no doubt about that, but 110F would be a bit far-fetched, even for that area. Hermiston and Pendleton, followed by The Dalles are probably the 3 hottest areas in the summer and rarely do either of those 3 touch 110. Over 100F is common in the summer over there, but not more than a few degrees above that.

Bend, OR ( right in the center of the state ) is a popular getaway. It is only a 3 hr drive ( roughly ) from no matter what section of the state you are in, has a lot of great recreation around it w/ Mt. Jefferson, etc, isn't quite as hot as the Hermiston, Pendleton and The Dalles, but VERY cold in the winter where single digits are common.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,460 times
Default mark467

If you read or listen to weather reports you know the extreme cold in Eastern Oregon. I lived 8 years in Burns and one year in John Day Or. It gets extremely cold with snow galore. However, if you are in high desert country it is a dry cold. Albeit still very cold. The upside to living in Eastern Or., is the very limited days of extreme fog,(unlike Southern Or.), and the fishing and hunting is great along with other outdoor recreation. The people are way friendlier in small towns and yes, the sun does shine way more in the winter than on the western side, and you're not caught up in traffic Now that I am retired my wife and I are planning the rest of our retirement days in La grande Or. To each their own. there is no such thing as perfect weather all year around. It's what you are or can be acclimated to. I love Eastern Oregon!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:42 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,493,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark467 View Post
...........Now that I am retired my wife and I are planning the rest of our retirement days in La grande Or. To each their own. there is no such thing as perfect weather all year around. It's what you are or can be acclimated to. I love Eastern Oregon!
Mark, welcome to beautiful and friendly Northeast Oregon.

Now that there are two of us, I am going to to demand equal treatment and insist that an Eastern Oregon sub-forum be created. Eastern Oregonians want to feel SPECIAL, too.

I see a couple of posts back that somebody is repeating the Western Oregon urban legend – that Eastern Oregon is scorching hot in the summer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonj338 View Post
Actually, the highest recorded temperature EVER in Baker City was 106 degrees in August, 1961. (Highest ever west of the Cascades: Portland 107, Eugene 108, Grants Pass 113.)

Average summer temperatures in most of Eastern Oregon are about the same or slightly higher than in the Willamette Valley and lower than Southern Oregon. Eastern Oregon humidity is lower than either of those two places:

Climate Comparison for Baker City, OR and Eugene, OR

Climate Comparison for Baker City, OR and Grants Pass, OR

Since Shangri-La is already taken, we will have to call it Shambhala:

Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 AM

235 posts, read 280,235 times
beautiful! ok, I'm convinced - there have to be SOME jobs there, right?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,332,102 times
The DEFINITIVE escape from the rain and clouds for Portlanders, is Maryhill. Located in the dry shadow ( the mountains mostly block rain from happening) of the mountains, a bit east of The Dalles, is Maryhill. The center of things is Maryhill museum, which is a mansion built by Sam Hill, and now a museum. One of the driest spots in Oregon, it's a little more than two hours away.

It is on the Washington side, a little ways from the highway 97 bridge.

If that proves to not be interesting enough, you can go south on 97 from I-84, to Moro and visit the Sherman County historical museum.

If, all of that leaves you bored, go back to The Dalles, and visit the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center.

There's bound to be more than a day's worth of interest.

Check the hours for the Sherman County museum before you go there. It isn't always open, with seasonal closures and irregular hours.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 PM

664 posts, read 963,080 times
Since you revived the thread :-) My suggestion is to get outdoors. If you are inside the world looks dark and gloomy. Outside it is probably not raining constantly-and you are out in the light.
Walk it off! Walking Events and Clubs in Oregon and SW Washington Join up with a group of people and walk through local towns and countryside. You might get wet sometimes but you can dress for that. And you will be out and about.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:18 PM

70 posts, read 90,971 times
May I recommend the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Baker City. If time permits, take a drive to Richland, Halfway, and into Hells Canyon, then possibly try the Wallowas and/or enter Idaho and then drive back through Cambridge and Weiser, Idaho, and then return to Oregon at Ontario; visit Burns, go to John Day on 395 and on back to foggy bottom on 26. Beautiful vistas and, in many ways, a step back 50 to 75 years in time. You will then be able to say you visited Eastern Oregon. However, if you really want to see the beautiful country, take the 200 mile "outback trail" through South Central Oregon from Burns. Some thirty years ago I toyed with the idea of conducting guided outback tours with 4WD SUVs for those not lucky enough to live over here, but never got it going because of a general lack of accomodations for groups. A great deal depends on how much of your interest is adventure, and sight- seeing, and how much is treatment for SAD

Old 09-20-2013, 04:53 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,218,764 times
So why doesn't someone start a NE Oregon thread? Could be interesting especially insider touring info for those of us who don't know the area well.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,371,380 times
or..... take the max to the airport and get on a plane, fly somewhere sunny for 1.5 days. Cheaper than therapy. October early November fares are reasonable. After Christmas you could probably find a nice round trip ticket.

Usually Memorial day weekend I would make a run to Hells Canyon. Usually sunny if a little cool at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon