Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziera View Post
I read some people in Portland/Salem etc (rainy areas) will escape on weekends to the Eastern part of Oregon.

Can someone tell me where to go to get some brighter skies?

Thanks
I used to go to Sisters/Bend area. Beautiful over there. The smell of Ponderosa pine is still lingering in my memory when I think of those places. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Most of Eastern Oregon is continually thankful for western Oregon's confusing Bend/central Oregon with Eastern Oregon...

Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 PM

114 posts, read 334,554 times
Bend area is much drier and sunny than western oregon.

Lots to do and great trails, restaurants etc.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
Default The Cascades

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Most of Eastern Oregon is continually thankful for western Oregon's confusing Bend/central Oregon with Eastern Oregon...
I can't speak for other Western Oregonians, but to me anything west of the Cascades is Western Oregon and anything EAST of the Cascades is Eastern Oregon. All of the eastern 2/3 of Oregon has a markedly drier, more extreme climate than that in the western 1/3..

Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
I escape to the movies! Or a good book! Or to bed! Sleep is good. Netflix is also your friend.

When it's mucky outside, for far too long, and I feel the weather beginning to bring me down, the last thing I want to do is drive in it more than I have to. The breaks in weather come soon enough, and when that old sun comes out to shine and play - so do I!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:37 AM

378 posts, read 1,570,513 times
Or put your rain coat on and take a nice long walk or jog. That changes your perspective and gets those endorphins working. When you get back, you change into something soft and warm, and you feel so cozy. You know that nothing lasts, so soon enough the sun will be out and you will be wishing for some rain.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
I can't speak for other Western Oregonians, but to me anything west of the Cascades is Western Oregon and anything EAST of the Cascades is Eastern Oregon. All of the eastern 2/3 of Oregon has a markedly drier, more extreme climate than that in the western 1/3..
I think what skinem was trying to say... All the Westerners are flocking to Bend instead of heading further east to "real" Eastern Oregon and the People of the East are glad for that so that their part of the state doesn't end up like Bend!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:20 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
Or put your rain coat on and take a nice long walk or jog. That changes your perspective and gets those endorphins working. When you get back, you change into something soft and warm, and you feel so cozy.
This is, indeed, good advice. The combination of cabin fever, sedentary habits and SAD makes for a depression trifecta. It's critcally important to get adequate exercise in the shank of winter. Do "suit up" and get outside when the weather is foul. That's also the best light therapy. Even on the darkest of days, photons make their way through the clouds -- much more so than they do through windows. If there is enough light for you to see, then there is a therapy benefit to going outdoors.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
I had SAD in Portland as well and was tempted by those light treatments. Pretty sad that one has to buy a light to feel good (no pun intended). Anyway, my solution... we moved to Spokane Washington.. a lot more sunshine but I still get depressed in the winter months. It is much better than the crap that one must put up with in Southern Cal. I would never go back to that rat race no matter how much sun there is. I would rather be SAD then MAD...LOL

Anyway, I am tired and need to go to bed, getting silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you suffer from SAD, there is no place in Oregon that will cure you in the middle of the winter. The days are too short. Even in Eastern Oregon, the cloud cover is pretty continuous.

Plan on light treatments, drugs, or winter vacations in Mexico.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
Running Y near Klamath Falls, Eagle Crest near Redmond.

But really you're swapping rain for snow because during winter when it's rainy in the west it's snowy in the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon