Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2006, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 44,763 times

Advertisements

Hello all....
Really enjoy reading this forum! In one of the posts awhile back--someone made reference to the fact that life in Eugene and the surrounding area was really hazardous if you have allergies--grass growning capitol and all.

So--we had looked in the Bandon to Coos Bay/North Bend area---some very pretty parts there ! But I had heard some nice things about Roseburg as well--a little larger area more 'services'--jobs etc. and not far from the coast. We love to have our garden and grow as much of our own veggies as possible. Was thinking that the warmer climate might be better for this--though personally I prefer rain/cooler temps and the coast there is beautiful (health reasons--don't tolerate much prolonged heat ).

My concern with Roseburg is--is the allergy situation as bad there also? Opinions--good/bad of the area are welcome...
As for the coastal areas--when we were up there it looked like some people had nice gardens --seasonally ?? And the fact that the 101 was THE ONLY way in and out of every town was kind of distressing to me--. I like to have a few ways in and out of an area--just me I guess. If the highway if fogged in or has a landslide--youre stranded. Where we live we have a highway (one of a few) that is similar and it's a mess in bad weather or if an accident ties it up.

Thanks to all for the input---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 04:52 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,214 times
I grew up in Roseburg and never had an allergy problem until I moved to Michigan. The correct answer is to get allergy tested and move to the area that has the least amount of what you are allergic to. If you are not allergic to mold, a series of shots will fix the problem permanently.

Inland cities such as Eugene, Corvallis, Salem, and Sutherlin, have easy and quick access to the beautiful and always air conditioned Oregon coast. Roseburg would be a great pick if you like to grow your own vegetables. Fruit trees are abundant in the area as well.

Here is a link to the local paper:

http://www.newsreview.info/

Here is an informative page on just about everything your would want to know about Roseburg:

//www.city-data.com/city/Roseburg-Oregon.html

I liked living in Roseburg more than I liked living in Portland. Please don’t tell anyone I told you that?

Good Luck!

Old 08-25-2006, 05:06 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
Roseburg is okay but it does get pretty warm during the summer. Also I need to explain that you escape from Bandon,Coos Bay and North Bend if you needed to. You can take Highway 42 from either Bandon or just below Coos Bay. Also there are a few minor roads that'll take you out of the city. Cape Argo highway will go southwest along by Charleston the tiny seaport village.

Now having said that let me say that I don't know that any of us have needed to escape from here.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 PM

10 posts, read 44,763 times
Thanks to you both for your input---My allergies aren't horrendous usually--it was just the WARNING that I'd read about Eugene being very prone to that kind of thing. And I'd read that Roseburg has little wind--(award or something for lowest wind velocity I think?) so I thought maybe this'd create a similar air pollution/allergen problem. Glad to hear that is probably not the case. Thanks clear2land.

And--Waterlily (love your name--)I enjoy your reading your replies especially b/c I see you're on the coast. I didn't mean to upset you--inferring that one needed an 'escape' per se---just seeing (and traveling on) the ONE main road in/out: I was wondering if that had been an issue. We've had landslides take out portions of roads here and for sometimes weeks the area is isolated to a certain extent--slowing deliveries and IF Emergency vehicle help is needed for someone it could be a timely issue. Seeing areas of the 101 so close to the ocean (so pretty) and having lived on the beachfront myself thru some pretty bad storms I just wondered if it was a concern.
In any case--thanks for telling me about the other roads.
You DO have a beautiful area there. I have wanted to go back to see some of the areas that my gr.parents were from. Gr.father had the first Ford dealership in Albany ! And my gr.mother had settled there as a child with her family after walking the Oregon trail as a Child ! --she lived a long life--long enough to see the moon landing--a long way from prairie schooners!

Again thanks--

Old 08-25-2006, 06:52 PM

45 posts, read 256,014 times
Default Allergy problems in Roseburg

A while back I was the one that said in some Eugene thread that there were serious allergy problems. I was raised in Roseburg, so I have quite a bit of experience about its allergy problems. You get a few sniffles that's about it. Roseburg Valley is cut off from Eugene's Willamette Valley so no worries about the allergy problem. It was very good there. It got hot in August but it wasn't scorching as Medford had it. It has bad traffic problems thanks to the VA being in the center of the city (nothing against the VA- that's just how it was set up in the early foundations).

Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
That's alright Socadje. No offense is taken. I just didn't want possible visitors to the coast to think they'd get stuck here because that's not likely.
Good luck with Roseburg. I was over there a couple of weeks ago. it's looking pretty nice.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:13 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
I just returned from Roseburg and it's 92 degrees there while meanwhile, back home on the coast here, it's 57 degrees. Home Sweet Home.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 PM

112 posts, read 716,381 times
Hi Socadje! Great question! Allergies...let me tell you a little bit about my experiences with this topic. I'm a seasonal allergy sufferer, in fact, I've taken probably every allergy medication known to man to try to combat the sniffy runny nose itchy eye issues, and nothing seems to work. Might just be me. When I go on vacation to some place dry, ie. Arizona, Nevada...my allergies clear up. For the majority of the year I'm fine, but Spring time when flowers are out and everything is in bloom I'm miserable. Of course I'm the only one in my family that seems to get it this bad, so it all depends on how bad your allergies are. Once things heat up in summer, I'm usually fine for the rest of the year. I notice my allergies do better on the coast where its cooler and a little more moist...not humid...just moist. The fresh air coming in off the ocean probably helps a little bit as well. Like Seashelly said, it does get hot in Roseburg. I've seen several websites that state summer high's get into the high 80's, try upper 90's, and depending on the year (2006 was a hot one) there can be several days of temperatures above 100 degrees. The good news, is that the super hot days are usually limited. July-August. The other piece of good news is that most houses have air conditioning these days. :-) The coast is about an hour or so away, and it's always PERFECT during the summer...a great way to escape the heat. It's nice to be able to get in the car and drive to cooler temps in a day trip. When I lived in Texas, it was hot, humid and miserable. You could drive in 7 hours in any direction, and you were still in Texas...still hot and miserable. LOL!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 AM

7 posts, read 38,050 times
Default Roseburg.reply

Reply is below..after quoted part...
....As for the coastal areas--when we were up there it looked like some people had nice gardens --seasonally ?? And the fact that the 101 was THE ONLY way in and out of every town was kind of distressing to me--. I like to have a few ways in and out of an area--just me I guess. If the highway if fogged in or has a landslide--youre stranded....

Reply: ROSEBURG. You're right. Roseburg IS a lil' bigger--BUT--it gets hot--and humid, in summer and it is probably the LEAST windy place in the state...so you just bake in the summer heat.

Also, I am wonder WHERE you went on the Oregon Coast when you say HWY 101 is the only way out. If you were on the coast at NEWPORT, Oregon, you could easily take HWY 20 back inland to Interstate 5. If you were in FLORENCE on the coast, you could taake HWY 126 back inland to EUGENE. If you were down in Coos Bay, you can take HWY 42 back inland to GREEN and then a short drive I-5 a few miles and you're in Roseburg.

Roseburg has a FRED MEYER (one stop shopping) and its own hospital in town (Mercy Hospital). see also...i think its Roseburg Visitor's Center and Convention Bureau -
I drove thru roseburg a couple times...seems like a nice town away from rat-race, but i read that alot of people out of work there. Douglas County is hurting for jobs. maybe its getting better. Just be ready for hot summers and no wind...but the nearby area is GREAT for hiking and fishing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon