Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 75,343 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to buy 10.5 acres in Bly, Oregon. This lot is in the Klamath Falls Forest Estates Sycan unit subdivision, off Maple Way. I plan to go there around April 1st, 2011 to see before I purchase. Is anyone familiar with this area and can tell me more about it? Good, bad, etc. I know it is pretty remote. I was wondering if you can get in and out of the area with a 4 wheeler? Or, do you have to hibernate for the winter? I think this is considered high desert area? Am I right on that? If so, what does that mean? I seen pictures of the lot. All flat with rocks and few trees. Does anything grow on that? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Very sparsely populated, pretty remote, gravel roads in fair to poor shape. It's been snowing out that way all week (not much accumulation), so it's currently pretty muddy and that's likely to be the case into early April, as the forecast is for a wetter-than-normal spring. In winter there is a significant snow pack and occasional below-zero temps.

The people who live there are going for isolation and privacy. "City" services (city water, city sewer, police, fire, ambulance) are not really available out there (volunteer fire and ambulance) and you need to check the location of the nearest phone and power, as it's expensive to have it run very far.

Depth to water is potentially an issue, as well as getting a clear perc. There are also some land use restrictions (fencing and outbuildings) because of wildlife habitat and trails, but that depends on the exact lot. Make sure you know what the restrictions are before buying. Although the land is remote, you must still comply with Oregon and Klamath County building codes.

There are a couple of threads in the Oregon forum that talk about the area, the main one would be:

//www.city-data.com/forum/orego...-dig-well.html

Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM

"Very sparsely populated, pretty remote, gravel roads in fair to poor shape. It's been snowing out that way all week (not much accumulation), so it's currently pretty muddy and that's likely to be the case into early April, as the forecast is for a wetter-than-normal spring. In winter there is a significant snow pack and occasional below-zero temps.....

Thank you! I read those threads, so how close are you to the lot I am looking at? What info do you need to know for sure? Thanks!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherg4re View Post
Thank you! I read those threads, so how close are you to the lot I am looking at? What info do you need to know for sure? Thanks!
Bly is probably 40 miles east of my house (it's 6 miles from here to Chiloquin, also to the east).

As far as info you need:

-- what lots nearby have a producing water well on them? How deep did they have to go, what flow rate did they get, how good is the water? If you can get a physical property address or tax lot number, you can look up the record yourself on the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality's (DEQ) website.

-- has the lot ever had a perc test? "Yes" is not enough of an answer, the question is if the perc test is on file with Kamath on-site (the local wing of the DEQ). If it isn't on file, or if it's too old, it'll have to be done all over again.

-- is there power ON the property? If not where, exactly, is the nearest junction box. You can try to go off-grid out there with solar, batteries and a generator (you won't make it through the winter on solar alone), but it'd be nice to have electric power (there is no natural gas out here, only propane).

-- where is the closest phone line in? Cell reception here isn't very good, and we're within 5 miles of Highway 97. A friend who lives out on Sprague Road, closer to Bly, has no reception at home.

-- what are the zoning restrictions on the lot, not just from the subdivision, but the county, state and government? This one is trickier because you frequently end up trusting your real estate agent and that can be a bad idea. I THINK that whoever holds the title/trust deed has a full list of restrictions, but you may well have to come into Klamath Falls and talk to the county about it.

From the little driving around I've done up that way, I can tell you that there are people who haven't bothered with niceties like well water or sewer or power. My guess is that a lot of the dwellings up that way would be deemed illegal by the county, if they ever bothered to check. I don't care to live that way, but some people must.

My growing season, here by the lake, is significantly longer than the season out that way. I'm at a lower elevation and the lake moderates temps. I'd guess that my growing season is 120-135 days, and that yours would be right around 80-90 days because of late frosts and freezes

here's a general climate reference:
http://www.klamathpartnership.org/pd...cteristics.pdf

Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am looking to buy 10.5 acres in Bly, Oregon. This lot is in the Klamath Falls Forest Estates Sycan unit subdivision, off Maple Way. I plan to go there around April 1st, 2011 to see before I purchase. Is anyone familiar with this area and can tell me more about it? Good, bad, etc. I know it is pretty remote. I was wondering if you can get in and out of the area with a 4 wheeler? Or, do you have to hibernate for the winter? I think this is considered high desert area? Am I right on that? If so, what does that mean? I seen pictures of the lot. All flat with rocks and few trees. Does anything grow on that? Thank you in advance!

Hmmmmm........lot prices in that area are absolute rock bottom bargains compared to vacant land in the rest of the county. That should tell you something.

I guess it really depends what your intent for the property is.

As for growing stuff, the native vegetation is going to be a mix of stunted pines, pissifers and rabbit brush.

Two things tend to limit vegetation: lack of soil and lack of water.

This is definitely an area where a buyer really needs to do their due diligence before plunking any cash on the table.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Thank you everyone! Very helpful information. I will proceed with caution. Can you suggest better areas for me to look at? I'm just looking for land, and I do want to be off grid with well & solar, but not stuck or snowed in somewhere.

Thanks again!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 AM

What else do want in property? If, for instance, you want to grow all (or most) of your own food, you need a greenhouse and probably hydroponics to do it out that way. You'll need to check the CCRs to see if you can have livestock (well, legally anyway)

You'll need a high-clearance 4WD and probably a plow on the front in winter, or you WILL be snowed in.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone! Very helpful information. I will proceed with caution. Can you suggest better areas for me to look at? I'm just looking for land, and I do want to be off grid with well & solar, but not stuck or snowed in somewhere.

Thanks again!
There is plenty of land available, but the cost maybe more then you're willing to pay. If you head north from Klamath Falls, you have a few choices along the Sprague River. There is lots of options down around Coos Bay and out towards Coquille. There is also still land available along the Columbia towards Astoria in Rainier/Clatskanie.

With the economy as it is, a lot of family farms and such are on the market in the more depressed areas.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Quote:

Thanks again!

Might want to try these sites to see what other options may be available:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Zillow - Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Real Estate Values

Herald and News

Klamath Falls Real Estate, Fisher Nicholson Realtors, LLC

Keep in mind that you can be quite remote and live an off-the-grid lifestyle without being so isolated that you're house bound every time it snows.

Good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:03 AM..

Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 AM

23 posts, read 50,402 times
You really want to go look before buying, not much will grow on most of that ground, scab rock, juniper trees, very cold in winter, muddy, very dusty in summer, growing a garden is a joke around here unless you have a heated green house. Some of those Forest Estates properties can get to be a real bugger to get to in the winter even with 4wd. Used to be lots of "undesireable" folks living in those areas as well, better than it used to be now i think. About 50 miles to town, thats after you make it to the pavement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon