Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM

29 posts, read 104,843 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been planning a trip to the Oregon Coast for months and are supposed to be leaving this Monday, April 11th but Im just a little bit worried about the weather. I keep trying to read the weather forcasts but they all vary so much I can not gage what we will be up against. We're used to the cold so it's not a problem but we wanted to camp at some of the beaches along the way. We're starting at Brookings and going up to Newport. What is the weather really doing there right now? Will it be too cold to camp? I know the humidity there makes a lot of difference so somebody please tell me what's going on with the weather! Please!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
I apologize in advance, I'm actually not in Oregon right now so I don't know what the weather on the Coast is doing.

But it's going to be a crap shoot to some extent due to the geography of the Oregon Coast. Driving between Brookings and Newport you can easily see three or four different weather patterns. There can also be huge difference in weather between the morning and afternoon. Overcast and foggy until noon, then burns off into 70 degree weather. Or raining all day, and clear skies after dark. Or misty rain, and wind gusts all day and night.

I'd personally expect the weather to be raining, and in the 40-50s. In my opinion you'd be better off deciding where you want to stay and what you want to do, then looking at the weather in nearby cities.

Keep in mind also that while all Oregon Beaches are public, it's not possible to actually camp on many of the beaches - specifically those within any cities limits, or at most parks, especially State Parks. But you can frequently find campgrounds a few miles inland. You can camp in the Sand Dunes area between Coos Bay and Newport, but you need to avoid the Wildlife Preserves. Look for tourism kiosks for information about local places to camp, also pickup free tourism magazines just about anywhere along Highway 101.

The other thing to look at are RV parks, especially around the more touristy cities with fishing access such as Charleston and Waldport. Some of them have tent camping, but it's usually not that great. Avoid any of the coastal KOA campgrounds though. They all suck big time.

Oregon State Parks South Beach just south of Newport is nice, as is Beverly Beach a few miles north of Newport. Bradley Lake Campground in Bandon is OK, it used to be better but they cut down all the trees. I don't have any recommendations further south of Bandon as I have family in the area and never go camping down there.

BTW I can highly recommend the Lighthouse Inn in Florence if you decide to go that route (or need to go that route due to rain,) and if you want to head a bit further north, the Looking Glass Inn in Lincoln City. Both are about $60/night and dog friendly. I've spent a many nights in both.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:02 AM

103 posts, read 523,786 times
It looks like the rain is beginning to stop. I'm from Reedsport, and we have had 3 yes 3 days of sun here. Temps are around 45 night 55-61 day. A free camping area is 4 miles to the north down Sparrow Park Road. Its located at the top of the hill going north out of Gardner. Old town in Florence is nice. Do some shopping, eat and have a brew at the Beachcomer Pub many Oregon breers on tap and good food. As far as most cambing that I do, I backpack in.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
If it does rain & y'all don't wanna camp in tents, Yurts can be found to rent, along the way. Do an internet search to find their locations.

Have a Fantastic ADventure...

Drive Safely.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Thank you all so much for the info on the weather, I cant wait to come and visit!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,452,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley3b View Post
My family and I have been planning a trip to the Oregon Coast for months and are supposed to be leaving this Monday, April 11th but Im just a little bit worried about the weather.
It rains.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
What is today won't be for tomorrow. Heck, what is this hour probably won't be for the next. Just bring supplies for all types of weather and be prepared for all changes.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Minervah :"What is today won't be for tomorrow. Heck, what is this hour probably won't be for the next".
I sort of had a feeling this might be the case..lol!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:39 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,156 times
What it's like right now in Brookings: gray, drippy skies, 49F, wind about 11 mph. On the Oregon Coast, rain and wind are to be expected during spring even in the best of times. During La Niña years, the chill and cloudiness is amplified. Temps are running 7-8 degree below normal. We had a freeze warning two days ago. There will probably be sun breaks as well, but chilly weather will persist.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
It rains.
And the wind blows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon