Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM

19 posts, read 63,244 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to the Southern Oregon area and have a few questions about Rogue River. One of the reasons why we like S. Oregon is the rural feel, but with a good sized city (Medford) close by. We are outdoorsy people who love to hike, camp and garden. I have visited the area, but I am still not very familiar with the climate. From what I gather, Grants Pass has a much longer growing season and a more mild winter than Ashland or Medford. I've toured Ashland, Medford, Gold Hill, Rogue River and Grants Pass. We fell in love with the Gold Hill/Rogue River area. I have been unable to find really good information regarding the climate there (gardening season, annual rainfall, etc.) Are the Gold Hill and Rogue River climates closer to the climate in Medford (drier, colder winters) or Grants Pass (more rain, moderate temps)? Any info on climate would be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM

541 posts, read 1,731,056 times
Rogue River's climate is mild during summer when temperatures tend that to be in the 60's. During winter it is cold and temperatures tend to be in the 40's.

The warmest month of the year is August with an average maximum temperature of 89.00 degrees Fahrenheit, while the coldest month of the year is January with an average minimum temperature of 31.10 degrees Fahrenheit.

Temperature variations between night and day tend to be big during summer with a difference that can reach 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and fairly limited during winter with an average difference of 19 degrees Fahrenheit.

The annual average precipitation is about 31.02 Inches. Winter months tend to be wetter than summer months. The wettest month of the year is December with an average rainfall of 5.40 Inches.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
The vegetable growing season is from early May through the beginning of October, about 150 days. Medford, Oregon is one of the prime gardening areas in the Pacific Northwest.

Southern Oregon has a very long growing season for the Northwest. Here are the dates of the last frosts of the year on average. This will be the beginning of the outdoor growing season for most plants

Weather Data | Facebook

And here is the first freeze

NOAA's National Weather Service-Average date of first fall freeze

Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Rogue River usually has mild winters, warm summers...

Similar to Grants Pass in most ways cept the fog.

I love the cherry blossom trees blooming in the spring, & the wildflowers in meadows + lilacs......the forest critters are having babies, the fish are spawning...

Rogue River Chamber | About Rogue River

Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM

158 posts, read 517,286 times
I would like to know the basic distance from Rogue River to Major Medical facilities? Are there enough MD's and DO's there to take care of the population? How long is the drive to the Hospital?

Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
You closest hospital would be Three Rivers in Grants Pass. If you are a medicare patient with no supplemental insurance, or uninsured working class, you may have trouble finding a primary care doc to take you as a patient. Siskiyou Community Health handles routine medical care for low income patients.

It will take about 20 minutes to get to the hospital from Rogue River.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,598 times
Ah, Slowink, you ask a very important question. Most of the medical facilities of any note are in Medford (Ashland has a community hospital). We met someone who had a lovely home on the river in Shady Cove but moved to Medford because when his neighbor had a medical emergency, the ambulance took forty minutes to get there. Keep that in mind when thinking of a move to rural, charming but remote areas in Jackson County.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
The big reason rural people die younger than urban people is access to emergency medical care.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM

158 posts, read 517,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Ah, Slowink, you ask a very important question. Most of the medical facilities of any note are in Medford (Ashland has a community hospital). We met someone who had a lovely home on the river in Shady Cove but moved to Medford because when his neighbor had a medical emergency, the ambulance took forty minutes to get there. Keep that in mind when thinking of a move to rural, charming but remote areas in Jackson County.

I have been away from the city data site for a while. Thanks for your responses. We are still working at making Southern Oregon our home. I am a retired Teamster, so most Doctors are happy to take care of me. I was Born and Raised on a farm in Minnesota, so I long for some acreage in the country. But I also have a list of Medical problems, so My wife has big concerns about country living. Until reading these posts, I gave that little thought. I would imagine, due to my conditions, I should concentrate on living in the city. Perhaps I will be lucky and find a big lot.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,180 times
Default Evans Valley weather compared to Rogue River?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Rogue River usually has mild winters, warm summers...

Similar to Grants Pass in most ways cept the fog.

I love the cherry blossom trees blooming in the spring, & the wildflowers in meadows + lilacs......the forest critters are having babies, the fish are spawning...

[URL="http://rogueriverchamber.com/about/"]Rogue River Chamber | About Rogue River[/URL]
Hello Hawk J,

"Long time listener, first time caller" getting more serious about a move to SW Oregon...so I just signed on... I've been looking at properties in the Evans Valley just north of Rogue River. Is the micro-climate the same or different? Does the winter fog push up into the Evans Valley? Does the Evans Valley have the same highs and lows as Rogue River in the winter/summer?

Thanks so much,

Beaumont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon