U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Oregon
129 posts, read 540,860 times
Reputation: 176

Advertisements

WHy would you want to live in Medford or White City?? Those places are a real dump.. Please, anyone who is promoting these places has to live there or grew up there and actually still has some town pride left.. Do yourself a favor and live in Ashland or Phoenix/Talent if you're stuck in Southern Oregon. Personally, I would never want to live in Southern ORegon, it is way too isolated and most of the cities there are complete dumps that are infested with petty crime and drug problems. I think living in Eugene, Salem, Corvallis or Portland would be preferable to Medford.

If you want to live in Oregon live in the Willamette Valley, my advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM
 
Location: State of Jefferson coast
963 posts, read 2,803,974 times
Reputation: 1297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
WHy would you want to live in Medford or White City?? Those places are a real dump.. Please, anyone who is promoting these places has to live there or grew up there and actually still has some town pride left.. Do yourself a favor and live in Ashland or Phoenix/Talent if you're stuck in Southern Oregon. Personally, I would never want to live in Southern ORegon, it is way too isolated and most of the cities there are complete dumps that are infested with petty crime and drug problems. I think living in Eugene, Salem, Corvallis or Portland would be preferable to Medford.

If you want to live in Oregon live in the Willamette Valley, my advice.
I'm repeating myself here, but southern Oregon's livability is somewhat of a mosaic...it's patchy. You can't really broadbrush any one city as a "dump" or a "great place." White City and Medford are not cross-comparable. There are nice areas in Medford (quite a few, actually). There are dumpy areas of Talent (if there are nice areas in Phoenix, I've not seen them). Southern Oregon is different from the Willamette Valley but there are certainly dumpy crime-infested areas of Eugene and Portland, too. The OP wanted to know about nice areas around Medford. That's a perfectly reasonable question. They're out there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Oregon
65 posts, read 189,198 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
I'm repeating myself here, but southern Oregon's livability is somewhat of a mosaic...it's patchy. You can't really broadbrush any one city as a "dump" or a "great place." White City and Medford are not cross-comparable. There are nice areas in Medford (quite a few, actually). There are dumpy areas of Talent (if there are nice areas in Phoenix, I've not seen them). Southern Oregon is different from the Willamette Valley but there are certainly dumpy crime-infested areas of Eugene and Portland, too. The OP wanted to know about nice areas around Medford. That's a perfectly reasonable question. They're out there.
Well said. I don't want to live in Southern Oregon anymore, but that's because I'm 6th generation here and I've lived here my whole life. I love the Applegate Vally/Jacksonville area and Central Point in quite nice in most places. I've noticed a recurring theme on this board, and that is that people seem to think Southern Oregon is filled with ignorant hillbillies, and I find that to be wildly offensive and downright false. One thing you will find in Oregon is that those from the North think that the people in Southern Oregon are inferior. You will hear them say that we are uneducated, redneck, hillbilly, evangelical Christian types (still not sure what's wrong with being Christian, but that's an entirely different discussion altogether). I'm proud to be both educated and Christian, loyal and independent. I find Southern Oregon to be a nice blend of Southern Comfort and Northern Progressiveness. Let's be honest, both sides are a little too far to their side. So, to get back to the original question: Ruch, Jacksonville, Central Point, and East Medford are the best places in Jackson County. East Medford will be the most affordable of these options. If you can handle the commute (and the gas bill to go with), there really isn't any place quite like the Applegate Valley, and as far as I know, crime is next to nonexistent there. I hope you find accommodations that give you the life you're hoping for!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Oregon
129 posts, read 540,860 times
Reputation: 176
Compton has nice areas and bad areas too.. Have a nice time in Methford.. I prefer Phoenix, because there are a lot of nice properties outside the dumpy town.. In Medford, you are stuck in Medford..

Jacksonville is nice, but you are a bit isolated and its very touristy and tacky in a lot of ways.

Eugene and Portland have bad areas, my advice is, don't live in them. I'd still take the worst neighborhood in Eugene than most any place in Medford.. I just cannot live in that place. It is a real no man's land. The town is just really ugly and boring. NO offense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: State of Jefferson coast
963 posts, read 2,803,974 times
Reputation: 1297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
I prefer Phoenix, because there are a lot of nice properties outside the dumpy town.. In Medford, you are stuck in Medford.
That doesn't make any sense. If your assessment of Phoenix includes nearby areas outside of the city limits, why wouldn't you do the same for Medford? Have you ever even been in those beautiful hills between S. Stage Rd. and Carpenter Hill Rd: Griffin Creek Rd., Dark Hollow Rd., Buena Vista/Skyview Dr., Carriage Dr., Darrell Dr.? That's mighty fine country with come imposing estates dotting the landscape. There's nothing in the Willamette Valley that can compare to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
Jacksonville is nice, but you are a bit isolated and its very touristy and tacky in a lot of ways.
I guess one person's art and culture emphasis is another person's touristy tackiness. A bit isolated? Okay a bit...if you're on a skateboard. It's 4.8 miles from Jacksonville to downtown Medford. That's 20 minutes by bicycle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,694,796 times
Reputation: 5659
Mr. Smith W does not like S. Oregon. We get it. Plenty of us do. I just drove down to do some work in Whiskeytown National Recreation Area this week. The transect from Ashland, OR to Redding, CA is absolutely stunning and fascinating. I could say the same of the trip from Medford to Crescent City, CA. Our scenic and biological diversity are the envy of the western US. And many people know it is a fantastic place to call home. Yes, it has challenges, but I know many sophisticated and interesting people who agree with me that this is one of the world's finest places to live. I think Ashland is nicer than Medford, but Medford is a much better value than Ashland. Not a bad place to have as home base. As I say above. E. Medford is nice, affordable, and needs to make no apologies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Oregon
129 posts, read 540,860 times
Reputation: 176
I love the beauty in Southern ORegon. It does have its share.. You are wrong saying I don't like Southern Oregon. I just don't like the dumpy towns that are in Southern Oregon, especially "Dreadford", as we use to call it as a kid. I did live in Southern Oregon for 6 or 7 years, so I know a thing or two about it. Ashland is a nice town, but it is expensive, ultra-liberal and boring to live. There are very few amenities and Dreadford is the only place nearby.

Now as far as natural scenery, you have a lot. I climbed Mt McLoughlin, Mt Ashland and loved camping out in the wilderness around there. In Southern Oregon you do have amazing and empty wilderness. However, I think the scenery is much nicer in Northern Oregon and Washington, so why not just enjoy the outdoors up here, where it is greener and the mountains are more beautiful. Mt Shasta is a great site to behold, but Mt. Rainier blows it away.

I will say the Redwood Coast is nice, but the drive is so long, it gets old quick. Not the kind of trip you will do anymore than once every few months or so.

Trust me, you don't want to live in Dreadford aka Medford, or I mean Medford aka Dreadford


Eugene, despite all its drugs, college punks and bleeding heart liberal hippycrites, actually has some charm and has several affordable areas that are nice. NOt to mention, you are just 1.5 hours from Portland and have all the amenities you could desire.

If you want a creepy, meth-infested place to live, why not Salem? At least you have all the stores and amenities you desire and have even more beautiful forest scenery just 1 hour away in the Santiam National Forest. Mt. Jefferson blows away any mountain in Southern Oregon. I personally think it is more magnificent than Mt. Shasta. Something about that jagged white peak. Seeing Mt. Jefferson rising above Detroit Lake goes beyond words.


Oh yeah, one benefit of living in Southern Oregon, Crater Lake.. But, hey how many times are you really going to visit Crater Lake anyhow living in Medford? You can always visit Crater Lake if you live anywhere in Oregon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 AM
 
Location: State of Jefferson coast
963 posts, read 2,803,974 times
Reputation: 1297
From someone who lived in the Willamette Valley for 12 years...yes, it's greener...and gloomier. The average annual rainfall is not quite twice what it is in the Rogue Valley (but it's close). Sunlight starvation eventually forced me south. The scenery is a bit different in the Willamette Valley, but rather predictable. In fact, from Cottage Grove north, the scenery is pretty much the same all the way through Washington and British Columia into the Alaskan panhandle. It's basically Doug fir after Doug fir after Doug fir...a rather monotonous curtain of them everywhere you look. In the mid-valley you'll sometimes run across a few Garry oaks and you'll stare in astonishment because you've seen a tree that wasn't a Doug fir! Myself, I prefer the diversity of the Siskiyou Klamath bioregion: madrone, tanoak, incense cedar, black oak, canyon live oak, manzanita, garrya, ceanothus, chinkapin, myrtlewood, big-leak maple, Pacific dogwood...it's a botanical wonderland (check it out: About the Film.) And there's more than forest to the mix of biomes as well. There are vast open grasslands of summer gold and broad vistas like the West should have. Table Rock looks like something that should be in Arizona or New Mexico. If political jurisdictions were drawn around climate and indicator species, the Rogue Valley would be in northern California, not Oregon. Crater Lake is on UNESCO's list of the ten most unique lakes in the world (there are several other lakes in the area, too). If you want the constant in-your-face green, the coast is a short drive down Hwy. 199. Pacific rhododendron, giant chain fern, and towering redwoods brood above the coastal valleys. Snow-capped peaks and high alpine lakes are a dime a dozen in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness and other parts of the Siskiyous. Of course, you can't be lazy. You need to hike the backcountry to really see it. There's just a lot more variation in southern Oregon. And northern California will be part of your travel radius as well. It is a bit rougher around the edges than the Willamette Valley. More unusual, too. Some of us like it that way.


Last edited by Brenda-by-the-sea; 05-13-2011 at 02:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington
2,317 posts, read 7,310,635 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
I love the beauty in Southern ORegon. It does have its share.. You are wrong saying I don't like Southern Oregon. I just don't like the dumpy towns that are in Southern Oregon, especially "Dreadford", as we use to call it as a kid. I did live in Southern Oregon for 6 or 7 years, so I know a thing or two about it. Ashland is a nice town, but it is expensive, ultra-liberal and boring to live. There are very few amenities and Dreadford is the only place nearby.

Now as far as natural scenery, you have a lot. I climbed Mt McLoughlin, Mt Ashland and loved camping out in the wilderness around there. In Southern Oregon you do have amazing and empty wilderness. However, I think the scenery is much nicer in Northern Oregon and Washington, so why not just enjoy the outdoors up here, where it is greener and the mountains are more beautiful. Mt Shasta is a great site to behold, but Mt. Rainier blows it away.

I will say the Redwood Coast is nice, but the drive is so long, it gets old quick. Not the kind of trip you will do anymore than once every few months or so.

Trust me, you don't want to live in Dreadford aka Medford, or I mean Medford aka Dreadford


Eugene, despite all its drugs, college punks and bleeding heart liberal hippycrites, actually has some charm and has several affordable areas that are nice. NOt to mention, you are just 1.5 hours from Portland and have all the amenities you could desire.

If you want a creepy, meth-infested place to live, why not Salem? At least you have all the stores and amenities you desire and have even more beautiful forest scenery just 1 hour away in the Santiam National Forest. Mt. Jefferson blows away any mountain in Southern Oregon. I personally think it is more magnificent than Mt. Shasta. Something about that jagged white peak. Seeing Mt. Jefferson rising above Detroit Lake goes beyond words.


Oh yeah, one benefit of living in Southern Oregon, Crater Lake.. But, hey how many times are you really going to visit Crater Lake anyhow living in Medford? You can always visit Crater Lake if you live anywhere in Oregon.
I could do the Redwood drive every week... It's so beautiful.

Some people much prefer the drier, warmer climate in Southern Oregon. I know I even do this time of year. And those mountains down there... Wow. Sure you have Rainier and Hood and St. Helens up here, but you don't see them most of the time because of the overcast skies. I can say with certainty that the West Hills have NOTHING on the Siskiyou Mountains which you can actually see 365 days out of the year in Southern Oregon.

Medford has tons of amenities--anything in Salem that you'd want. Plus if you have allergies to grass (like I do), the Willamette Valley is the worst place in the world to be in the spring. I actually almost went to the hospital because of my allergies last June when I was in Eugene.

For a young person, perhaps Ashland or Medford would be boring, but it's alright for anyone else. I'd even live in Medford or Ashland now. It is one thing to drive up the 205 into Vancouver and catch Mt. Hood for about 5 seconds on a rare, sunny day. It's a whole other thing to walk out of your home or the store or the bank and see the Siskiyous surrounding you all 360 degrees anytime of the year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington
2,317 posts, read 7,310,635 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Of course, you can't be lazy. You need to hike the backcountry to really see it. There's just a lot more variation in southern Oregon. And northern California will be part of your travel radius as well. It is a bit rougher around the edges than the Willamette Valley. More unusual, too. Some of us like it that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top