U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 PM

65 posts, read 189,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Rhododendron occidentale is native to Southern Oregon and many people find it preferable to the show garden varieties found in Portland landscaped yards.

Anyway, the whole state is beautiful; no need to put down other people's personal preferences simply because you don't share them.

Great photos, mdvaden; thanks.
Thanks, Met. You are so right; Oregon as a whole is a beautiful state. I love the Willamette valley; there's really no place like it. I just don't like people bad-mouthing the rogue valley like its inferior. Its equal, but different. That's all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 PM

22,571 posts, read 30,535,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjojo View Post
Thanks, Met. You are so right; Oregon as a whole is a beautiful state. I love the Willamette valley; there's really no place like it. I just don't like people bad-mouthing the rogue valley like its inferior. Its equal, but different. That's all.
Can't blame you there, I actually prefer the Rogue Valley myself.

You're in for some big changes when you come up to Alaska, though. Nothing about it is much like Oregon, even on the southern panhandle where I'm at, but then I'm sure you already know that Alaska has attributes of it's own.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 AM

1,458 posts, read 5,609,493 times
From my experience down there, the niceness and affordability depends on both housing and travel time (fuel) for recreation. For example, from Washington County, it was like 70 miles worth of fuel to the ocean. But from Jackson County down there, it was more like 100 miles worth of fuel to the ocean. Our housing budget was tied to our recreation budget and we had to tweak housing costs in Jackson County because of our recreation style.

As far as the school districts, we had a good impression of the Medford School District, which also expands into Applegate Valley a ways. Since the bus goes out that way, and house rent can be under $1000, that enables employment in Grants Pass if you need it, though children could be getting educated the other direction.

Medford has plenty of places to shop for clothing and goods, so that keeps travel expense mellow from that angle.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-18-2011 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: use DM to address your moderation concerns

Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 AM

247 posts, read 688,823 times
These are some pics from the Twin Creeks neighborhood in Central Point. We moved here from DC in April and love it.

Also a couple pics of the 30 minute drive from our house up to Applegate Lake.
Attached Thumbnails
What areas around Medford are nice/affordable? What areas to avoid? Is White City trashy?-img_4172.jpg   What areas around Medford are nice/affordable? What areas to avoid? Is White City trashy?-img_4175.jpg   What areas around Medford are nice/affordable? What areas to avoid? Is White City trashy?-img_4195.jpg   What areas around Medford are nice/affordable? What areas to avoid? Is White City trashy?-img_4197.jpg   What areas around Medford are nice/affordable? What areas to avoid? Is White City trashy?-img_4203.jpg  

Old 07-23-2011, 04:32 PM

174 posts, read 401,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Those are two different questions. Which are you most interested in: areas that are nice, or areas that are affordable?
Do you always answer a question with another question? And, it looks like the OP is interested in an area that is nice AS WELL AS affordable!

I would also like to find the nice & affordable place. Any reasonable suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:35 PM

174 posts, read 401,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauravdn View Post
moving to Medford this summer. Looking to rent a 3 bd for under $1,000 so looking for affordable, yet nice/safe neighborhoods. There are some nice newer homes available in White City, but I've been told by someone who lived in the area 15 yrs ago to avoid White City b/c it is trashy. Is it still this way? Has it had a turn around? I have 2 young children and we're quite picky where we live... as picky as we can be on a student's small income... Any ideas of places to look at, neighborhoods to avoid would be welcome... Also any ideas on elementary schools as well??
You know, a question like this will get a slew of answers, although most answers do not have anything to do with the question. Realistically, if you were to contact a broker/agent in the general area, they could tell you where the areas that are family-friendly, lower crime, nicer kept are located. And remember, that an agent gets paid out of the SELLERS proceeds, so for the buyer, it is going to be close to a no-cost answer. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,105 times
Default I just moved to Meford and love it.

I can't believe the nasty things people are saying about Medford! I just moved here in June 2011. I live in North Medford, off Howard. The neighborhood was built in the 1960s, so maybe some of you would think it a slum area. But, the homes are well built, the lots large, the neighbors nice, the street newly paved with sidewalks and streetlights. We can walk to city parks, have close access to I5, and shopping, including the mall. The schools are good. It is safe on the crime maps. I did a lot of research before deciding on Medford. The neighborhood is a diverse, with a mix of professional and blue collar workers. Children play outside safely. The community college is only a few miles away, which is one of the big reasons I choose Medford. It is a fairly new transfer center to SOU. The library is fantastic.
Sure, Ashland is nicer, but I couldn't afford a house there. I can be there in a few minutes if I wanted to.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 PM

963 posts, read 2,803,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleoftheroad View Post
I would also like to find the nice & affordable place. Any reasonable suggestions?

thanks in advance!

So you want to have your cake and eat it, too? Lack of affordability comes from strong market competition. "Nice" places (whatever that means to any particular person) have the greatest amount of competition. I guess I'm not seeing what the OP is conceptualizing as "nice" that will at the same time be unpopular in terms of what other people also want. If you want what everyone else wants, then you'll have to pay a premium for it, whether it's an iPad, a car that gets more than 50 mpg, or a 3 bdrm. house in a safe, attractive neighborhood.

One idea, though, is to search the HUD list of foreclosures on FHA loans. There have been some real buys in southern Oregon lately on those houses. Many are going for $100k or more off the last sales price from five or six years ago.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,143 times
As a person from the midwest who travels to the northwest quite a bit I can help answer all the points made here. Oregon is a gorgeous state no matter what the area. Comparing different areas is like comparing apples to oranges. Some like apples some like oranges. Both are great.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM

12 posts, read 49,182 times
i have lived in the Medford area my whole life. (25 yrs.) i know that may not seem like much to some but I've lived here long enough to tell you what areas are nice and which ares to avoid. I haven't read through all the pages here, but from the first couple I've read, I'm surprised no one has mentioned living in Eagle Point. It is a nice safe community centrally located. Close to schools and good for middle of the road familys. As with every town there is good and bad. But over all EP is a good town. Ashland is full of hippy college students and preepy upper class families. (I know there are exceptions to everything, but I'm going off a majority scale.) West medford is full of low income crack heads, east medford is a decent place but kind of snobbish. White city is mostly hispanic, gang bangers, & trashy people. Avoid it if you can! Central point is a good choice. Good for families.

Unemployment is high in this area (as is many other places) Housing costs in this area are average depends on what you are looking for. The scenery in my opion is beautiful. You are a close driving distance to camping, fishing, hunting and beautiful lakes and of course our Rogue River. How can you beat that? But yet you have all the amenities of a big city. Shopping, Dining, etc. All in all its not a bad place to live. But it has its downers as well. Hope I covered all that you would need to know. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon