U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 PM

174 posts, read 402,020 times

Advertisements

We have journeyed to Redmond, Central Point, Eagle Point, and enjoyed all of the areas for different reasons. We were also considering looking into Medford, and last night we were out to dinner, and the owner of the place was chatting us up (we have known her for a few years). When I mentioned that Medford was the next place we were going to look at, she stated "Medford is the pits!" She went on telling us how when she moved to Or, she and her husband stayed in Medford, looking for a decent home, at a decent price. It never happened, and after a few months of renting, they returned to their home and business in way Northern California.

I'm hoping that she was 'puffing' a bit about Medford. But can those of you living there, or other nearby Oregon cities and towns
respond? Is Medford not in the same 'league' as Eagle Point, Central Point, Redmond, etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 03:58 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,582,408 times
I've lived in Southern Oregon since I was 10 years old, I'm now 61. Medford is a city of 80,000 people, there are most likely 80,000 different opinions of Medford. Not everyone is going to have a good exerience in this town and not everyone is going to find their utopia here, it is what you make it. There are great neighborhoods in Medford and there are neighborhoods that I wouldn't even concider moving into. You can find these neighborhood on the east side, west side, north side and south side. Is Medford a nice place to live, I think so, I've never had a problem here with my neighbors and I've have found that most of the people here are friendly, I do think that ones life style will dictate how they view Medford.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 AM

174 posts, read 402,020 times
Default thanx Terryj

Given your knowledge, can you name 3 or 4 specific areas that are low-crime, and mostly owner occupied? Or, conversely, specific areas to avoid?

We are low-mid 60's, and really want a trouble-free (I know, its relative) area that is quiet, and a place where people take good care of their property, and have a sense of pride. And if they know how to shoot, and have an organized 'neighborhood watch' group formed, even better.

On the other hand, if you lived on a cul-d-sac in Eagle Point, you can still get mugged, I suppose. I'm just trying to get the best odds. We are both feeling about to old to fight, and think possibly that a moderate whoopin might kill either one or both of us. So, we practice regularly at the local range, and would probably be an unpleasant surprise for any wanna-be mugger or thief!

Last question for now....Is Oregon (Medford) a "Castle Doctrine" state?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM

As far as neighborhoods you qweried about, they can be found all over Medford, however, you can be in a neighborhood that you feel secure in and just 3 blocks away you'll find a neighborhood with questionable characters. I live in Southwest Medford, it is an established neighborhood will realitive low crime. It is south of Steward Road and east of Kings hwy, there are allot of families here with children and the children are not afraid to play on the streets.
As far as the Castle Doctrine in Oregon goes, you are allow to protect yourself from property invaders, the use of "deadly force" is allowed ONLY if you feel your life is endagered. In other words, if you were to shoot someone who invaded your home who was unarmed, you made have a problem.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 PM

247 posts, read 689,384 times
I mentioned it before, but I love the Twin Creeks development in Central Point.

The Rogue Valley gets a lot of negative PR but it's not nearly as bad as some seem to think. Go live in DC, Detroit or NYC and tell me Medford is terrible.

It's on the upswing. REI and Trader Joe's have been confirmed to be coming to Medford's new Northgate Center. Other stores will be announced soon. Construction has already started on the complex.

Yes, we have seen some jobs leave recently. That's terrible. But apparently Musician's Friend has been planning this move to LA for years and the layoffs at Erickson Air Crane are common and cyclical. I believe a someone should be recruiting a software company to move into the old MF building, it's perfect.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:14 PM

739 posts, read 1,730,158 times
Here is two-cents worth from someone who has lived in Ashland for over five years; originally from NY, lived in SoCal for five years before winding up here.
Many of the perceptions are true but many are not. For my DH and I, choosing Ashland boiled down to the fact that we could probably sell easier if the need arose because of the perception that is is 'better' than nearby towns.
Medford has East Medford, which is lovely but 'still Medford', we were told. We looked there and found some nice homes. Sure enough though, five years and one Real Estate collapse later, home values have held up more (if you can call it that) in Ashland than those in East Medford.
Our realtor wouldn't take us to Central Point or Eagle Point, at the time. Home prices there have not held up well at all. It could be that new arrivals check out Ashland first based on the perception (there's that word again) that it is 'better' than Medford. And so it goes.
Medford, IMHO, is a typical suburb. It is convenient, comfortable and has the required amenities. It could be anywhere.
Ashland is a quaint, small 'Bedford Falls' type of town. Yes, it has hippies but they don't bother me too much. It has a nice downtown but for necessities the shopping is better in Medford. There are several places to buy groceries but if you want underwear, you shop elsewhere.
A lot of people move here from San Francisco, aka The Bay Area. I think they find it attractive to be only fourteen miles from the NorCal border. It's less driving time to go back and forth. That may contribute to the perception that Ashland is 'better'. Whatever it is and whether or not it's true, home values here have held up. Not well, but slightly better than other places.
Schools? Everywhere people think their schools are good. Ashland High School had the highest percentage of graduates who went on to college compared to other public schools.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Most property crime in Medford are crimes of opportunity, you supply the opportunity and someone will most likely take you up on it. Medford has a high transient population due to it being the first major city coming north from California and the last major city heading south out of Oregon. Neighborhoods that border I-5 are normaly the ones with high property crime, the futher away from I-5 the less transient property crime, there is nowhere in Medford that is imune to property crime. Like I said in the begining of this post, "It's mostly a crime of opportunity".

Old 11-20-2011, 01:07 AM

5 posts, read 11,647 times
I lived in White City for a while and I myself would avoid it, its very small with not much to do. But I personally would never move back there. You should look into Eagle point.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM

10 posts, read 18,312 times
Default "The reports of our death are greatly exagerated."

Stumbled on to this Forum/thread quite by accident. Come November 6th there will be a ballot measure to Incorporate White City. At present, name not withstanding, we're just part of Jackson County. At one time WC was referred to as "Felony Flats," and that was a reasonable description.

All that ended years ago when Jackson County 'sank' about $85 million in Urban Rehab funds into the area. Money well spent. The only time it gets 'noisy' around here is the 4th of July and New Years Eve. Crime rate is minimal and well in line for any other So. Oregon Community.

The 'old' WC was someplace to avoid, but after the U-Rehab it is now one of the most affordable places in all of Jackson County. Brand new home (1400 - 1500 sq feet) will run in the mid-$170's. And that usually includes landscaping. As to 'brand new homes,' something like 350 of them have been built in the past 5 years. Reason being was the original cost of the land for development; far less than anyplace in the area.

Average residents age is in the low 30's, but this is changing as older 'empty-nests' sell their high value home and relocate. Which is how I got here.

But back to the Incorporation for a moment. Personally I'm going to vote 'No' as I can't find out a thing that suggests what the new Cities budget might be. Tax wise it's supposed to be $1.45/$1,000 valuation; but no clue as to how that stacks up to financial realities. Obstinately there will be about 8,600 residents, but no word as to how many properties are really covered (or the combined valuation vis a vis the buck forty five). Etc.

Fred Evans

Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM

11 posts, read 49,357 times
Incorporate as a separate city or merge into Medford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon