U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:58 PM

985 posts, read 1,299,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Maybe, having lived in a much more rural area, I am easy to please, but I am rarely bored here (and if I am, well, housecleaning and home repair await my attention ....). The wineries and the music at most of them are fun, I like the farmer's markets, the farmstands, the local "foodie" movement, the recreation in the Cascades and - very occasionally - at the Coast.

This week I have been to: Lake of the Woods on the hottest day to float around and cool off; out to dinner at Elements Tapas, my favorite local restaurant; a winery to hear a local band I like; a cooking class; and tonight I'll be at a pub in Central Point to hear a band I like.
Sounds perfect to me! I'm trying to get moved down there, and have the same taste in entertainment as you. Give me a good farmer's market, farm stands, wineries and restaurants...and I'm good to go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 03:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 17,067,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
Sounds perfect to me! I'm trying to get moved down there, and have the same taste in entertainment as you. Give me a good farmer's market, farm stands, wineries and restaurants...and I'm good to go.
I'll be honest and say that there aren't a ton of good restaurants here - but there are some gems.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 AM

273 posts, read 320,207 times
I finally got to eat at Kaleidoscope Pizza

Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 AM

6,401 posts, read 4,071,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Central Point or Medford would be my choice. If you go into Ruch, in Applegate Valley, that's a Jacksonville address and the school bus comes out there for high school, too.

Note the hills. They are golden and more barren on the east side. And if you drive into the valley, note the hills on the west are greener with more trees.

If you get into a neighborhood on the west side of Medford or Central Point, the mountains put you in shade about 1 hour earlier in that warm climate.

If you go on the east side, you will be in the sun for an extra hour. Likewise, the westside sees sunrise one hour earlier, but its a cooler light.

Does the mountains put you in the shade 1 hour earlier in Ruch, Jacksonville also than in east Medford? Thanks.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Does the mountains put you in the shade 1 hour earlier in Ruch, Jacksonville also than in east Medford? Thanks.
A lot of the area from Jacksonville to the west/northwest is in canyons. The smaller, local side canyons can have more effect than the larger mountain ranges. Having lived in canyons, my main concern out that way is fire - canyons tend to have only one way in and out. Hwy 238, from Jacksonville to Grants Pass, is the major road, but a lot of the side roads are dead ends.

I don't think that alleged hour of less sun is worth being a major location criteria. The hot part of the summer day is between 4 and 6pm, and the sun doesn't go down until 9:30, even with the western mountain ranges (so called "civil twilight" right now is 8:45 and we are two months past the solstice, one month from the fall equinox). So an hour less sun in the afternoon isn't really going to buy you much. You can get a lot more bang for your buck from shade trees.

Certainly it depends on what you are looking for - a more rural property, with a bit of acreage? Old Stage Rd, along the western edge of the valley, has some nice properties with great valley views, from Gold Hill down through Central Point to Jacksonville, without being too far from the shopping/restaurants in the valley. It's not cheap, though

Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 PM

6,401 posts, read 4,071,030 times
Thanks for your reply PNW Gal I always find your posts informative.
What I was interested in is more sun in the winter if there happens to be some sun. I read on this forum a little longer sun on a winter day makes it feel a bit warmer and that makes sense.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Thanks for your reply PNW Gal I always find your posts informative.
What I was interested in is more sun in the winter if there happens to be some sun. I read on this forum a little longer sun on a winter day makes it feel a bit warmer and that makes sense.
Certainly living in the hills or in the canyons will block some sun. Since Medford is (mostly) in a long narrow N-S trending valley, the sun rises and sets for us a little later than it should by the astronomical clock. From the west-facing window of my house, I can watch the sunlight hit the western peaks first and then quickly slide east across the valley toward me.

The flip side of the sun going down at 9:30 or so at night in the summer is that it goes down before 5 in the shortest part of winter.

I'd definitely look at things that blocked solar access to the house, with the rough criteria: deciduous trees good, fixed solid objects (hills, houses, big evergreens) bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon