U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 AM

148 posts, read 306,383 times

Advertisements

Does Eagle Point have the same reputation as White City?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM

963 posts, read 2,753,949 times
Not exactly. Eagle Point is a little nicer. But it is still mostly cookie-cutter subdivisions in a rather remote community with little to do. At one time, it was thought to be "up and coming" (a phrase much applied to underdog communities in the Rogue Valley) and was even pronounced "the next Ashland" by a few overconfident promoters after actor Patrick Duffy ("Bobby" from Dallas and the Man from Atlantis) moved into a nearby rural area. That transformation didn't happen and never will. It's much more blue-collar. There are a lot of young families with kids there, more than you would see in other areas of the valley. Roll-away basketball hoops on driveways seem to be an obligatory fixture in EP. Many streets are lined with bumper-to-bumper parked cars. It looks as if there's a big dinner party or garage sale nearby, but there isn't...it just always looks that way. Eagle Point property values fell further downhill than most of the rest of the valley when the real estate bubble burst so the property there is less expensive (lots of foreclosures), but doesn't hold its value as well as better areas of the valley. Eagle Point schools are also plagued with problems even though they have nice campuses.

The only grocery store options are Ray's and Wal-Mart...both with dismal selections of low-quality foods, so plan on shopping in Medford or Ashland. When I lived in Eagle Point, I wore out my tires going to Medford, J'ville and Ashland every chance I had.

On the positive side, the mountain views from EP are probably the best in the valley. In spring it almost looks more like Idaho than Oregon as you look south toward Medford. Air quality is probably a little better on the bad days as well.

Last edited by Brenda-by-the-sea; 05-03-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Default Eagle Point

Thanks Brenda for your input. I am coming to Oregon this week to check out the area. Right now, I am focusing more on Medford and Central Point. I did notice as you pointed out the good house prices in Eagle Point, and was curious if it was in the same category as White City, because I had also noticed lower home prices there. But now understand the reason for that.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,761,207 times
Check out Shady Cove while you are there.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:25 AM

1,458 posts, read 5,521,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesharona View Post
Does Eagle Point have the same reputation as White City?
Not even close.

Honestly, Eagle Point reminds me of Beaverton (now 90,000) back in the early 60s (7,000).

Although Grants Pass would be my first choice, near Medford, I'd pick Ruch / Applegate Valley, Eagle Point, Central Point.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Default visit to Rogue Valley

I enjoyed my visit to Rogue Valley. I saw several things I liked in Central Point. My agent also showed me some things in East Medford. I am concerned about the property taxes in certain areas. I wish I knew what areas typically are high and which are lower but there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. She stated alot depends on the school district. Being on a fixed income now, this will definately be a consideration when selecting a home.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:16 PM

16,217 posts, read 19,252,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesharona View Post
I enjoyed my visit to Rogue Valley. I saw several things I liked in Central Point. My agent also showed me some things in East Medford. I am concerned about the property taxes in certain areas. I wish I knew what areas typically are high and which are lower but there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. She stated alot depends on the school district. Being on a fixed income now, this will definately be a consideration when selecting a home.

Property Taxes: Deferral Programs Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/SCD/faq.shtml#Anchor-Do-23240 - broken link)

The way i understand the Oregon Law, is when a person reach's 62 years of age, you may defer your property tax until after you have passed, & your estate is settled with your surviving family members.

I may have understood this wrong.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,613 times
After living all over the country with my Naval Officer husband, we settled in Eagle Point when my husband retired in 1977.
We loved the small town atmosphere and still had the option of going to Medford to shop at Sears, Penny's, and Montgomery Ward -prior to the Rogue Valley Mall's arrival. Five of our 9 children graduated from E.P. Highschool, two with scholarships. The general friendliness of the people speak for the qualities of Eagle Point, and I will never move from E.P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon