Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 AM

10 posts, read 24,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Howdy Lisa I live in the mountains, but i have www.frontier.com for landline phone & high speed internet. I like it much better then the dialup i had for 3 lustrum. For tv i have www.directv.com since 1995. You can go to their website, put in the zipcode. They will tell you if there is service to that area.
Thanks, Hawk - Frontier has dsl in Lakeside, which may be how I end up going, but I was hoping to be hard-wired. That decision may just have to wait until we get up there...

Quote:
I burn whatever i can in a burn barrel, then go to landfill when needed.
I was wondering if that was an option! Hard to imagine here in West Texas where we've been under a burn ban for two years... but would make sense up there. Here, you're advised not to even park your car beside the road where there is any grass that can catch fire from the heat of the engine.

Quote:
There should be good bass fishin at 10mile lakes, & others along the coast. Good, friendly folks at www.oregonfishingforum.com
My boys are so looking forward to this part of it... and I'm just looking forward to looking out the windows at the lake (and yes, the rain on the lake... ) during my workday. Watching another dust devil scour off yet another layer of the topsoil in my back yard has lost its charm for me. And the 102 degrees on Mother's Day was like icing on a dirt cake...

Quote:
Best of Luck in your choices. Drive Safely...
Thanks. All good wishes gratefully accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 AM

10 posts, read 24,691 times
Default Thanks, hamellr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
There are some nice houses out there, don't get me wrong. But there are a lot of run down places too. If someone is moving into the area sight unseen, they should be wary of what they're going to find. This is one place where I feel that outside looks of a house have nothing to do with how it's going to be inside. It seems every house I've been in in the area has a leaking roof and/or windows and mold growing on walls and ceilings.
I really appreciate your point of view, and the advice. My husband and I discussed at length the fact that there might be issues with the house... and both felt that, for one year, we could pretty much deal with most things. And I've done more than one repair to a rent house and taken it off the rent in order to live in some place that's dry and healthy... That said, I do understand, too, that it could be worse than we can imagine, but we're big people, and we can deal.

It's the risk that we're taking in order to not be where we are... we certainly had the option to live in West Texas for another two or three years and do what we're doing and put a chunk of money away... but with no public land to fish or hunt, no place to even go to target practice, my husband and son literally have nothing to do here together except go bowling or play online games.

For me, the frustrations include the fact that it's 102 degrees outside by the first week of May, and you step out your front door and get mugged by a dust devil on most days, and you can't keep a plant alive without pouring copious amounts of water onto it, and you pay for every precious drop of water that you use. The cactus grow just fine, and even flower for a few days each year... but you aren't exactly going to pick one and put it in a vase on your counter. I want green, growing things. I ache for them... and to be able to walk outside (even with a raincoat on) and be able to draw a breath that isn't superheated.

OK, I'll shut up now... those are just a few of our reasons...

Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
LISA,

Frontier is a Hard-Wired Landline Phone Company. They put cable underground at my place.

Burning at home isn't allowed during FIRE SEASON. Contact your Fire Dept to learn current RULES, for SAFETY.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:46 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
LISA,

Burning at home isn't allowed during FIRE SEASON. Contact your Fire Dept to learn current RULES, for SAFETY.

Burning household trash has not been legal anywhere in the USA since oh, about 1983 or so. The word just hasn't got around to rural people, many of which are still doing things like their great grandparents did. Some of them would be using an outhouse if the gummint didn't make them put in a septic system.

Paper is not horrible, but burning plastics put an amazing assortment of toxins and carcinogens into the air, most of which end up contaminating your house and your neighbors.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:24 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Burning household trash has not been legal anywhere in the USA since oh, about 1983 or so. The word just hasn't got around to rural people, many of which are still doing things like their great grandparents did. Some of them would be using an outhouse if the gummint didn't make them put in a septic system.

Paper is not horrible, but burning plastics put an amazing assortment of toxins and carcinogens into the air, most of which end up contaminating your house and your neighbors.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I want you for my neighbor.
Mine don't seem to 'get it'.
Grrrrr.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:52 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
BigFeets is my neighbor.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,211 times
Hi Lisa,
West Texas, huh? My hubby and I are currently in Amarillo and have purchased some property in North Bend, but are going to retire to Coos Bay/North Bend several years down the road. I hope you love it there. I know its cooler! We have now had 25 day of >100 degree weather. I cannot give you any real useful information about resources in the area, but I do wish you well.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 PM

200 posts, read 447,703 times
North Bend has always been the High School of choice in the area, enjoy your move!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 AM

41 posts, read 119,229 times
I'm certain you've discovered by now that Lakeside, much like the surrounding area is beautiful but backwards. Was horrified to hear they'd closed a portion of the lake for recreational use due to some alge issue. Beautiful, but I would have definitely recommended an extended visit before relocating to Lakeside.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:47 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie J Lewis View Post
I'm certain you've discovered by now that Lakeside, much like the surrounding area is beautiful but backwards. Was horrified to hear they'd closed a portion of the lake for recreational use due to some alge issue. Beautiful, but I would have definitely recommended an extended visit before relocating to Lakeside.
Or they'll close it due to the water lilies. Someone was drowned back in the 80's because they got caught in them when they were too thick.

That lake has always been kind of weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon