Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 AM

10 posts, read 87,906 times

Advertisements

Hi! My mom and I have been wanting to move to Oregon, probably the Redmond/Bend area. Possibly Portland. Is Oregon okay for asthmatics? I've read on the internet that Portland was rated one of the "best" cities for asthmatics to live in, but I don't know. I've also been told that Bend is "perfect" for asthmatics. Is it very humid there? I would hate for my mom to suffer if we move there. I would really appreciate a response, or two. I'm a bit worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,142,848 times
It depends upon where in Oregon you move to, and what triggers your asthma. As far as humidity goes, again, it depend upon where and what you're used to.

The Bend area wouldn't be considered humid. There are some areas of Oregon less humid, but others more so. In general just remember the east side of the Cascades is the dry side, the west side the more humid side. (In general, the humid side still doesn't hold a candle to eastern US and southern humidity.) Portland is quite a bit damper than Bend.

As far as how Bend is for asthmatics, I think it'll depend. I have a sister that is sev erely asthmatic and had no trouble there. She got hammered when she traveled to the west side, any where from Portland on down to Cottage Grove. I, on the other hand, if I spent much more than a week in Bend, I started having a little bit of nagging cough, but nothing bad.

Of course, that's just us and your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:08 PM

758 posts, read 2,362,191 times
Hard to say about Portland. The Willamette Valley has the world's highest grass pollen counts. The native Americans thought the valley was inhabited by evil spirits as a result.
Bend/Redmond would be more tree pollen. Bend/Redmond are much drier.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
It depends upon where in Oregon you move to, and what triggers your asthma.
Thanks for your response! I guess we'll just have to make a trip out there to see how it is. My asthma is at its most worse when I'm near animals and allot of dust. So I think it might be okay, but I still want to check it out first. Again, thanks!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Hard to say about Portland. The Willamette Valley has the world's highest grass pollen counts.
I don't know how I'll react to grass pollen, but I think I'll have to just visit Portland before I move and see how it is for me. I keep getting conflicting info about the area. Thank you for your response!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:20 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,142,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKnight View Post
Thanks for your response! I guess we'll just have to make a trip out there to see how it is. My asthma is at its most worse when I'm near animals and allot of dust. So I think it might be okay, but I still want to check it out first. Again, thanks!
If dust is a trigger, central or eastern Oregon may not be for you.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
If dust is a trigger, central or eastern Oregon may not be for you.
Okay. I was just reading about the Bend/Redmond area, and I saw that it was surrounded by "deserts"? That definitely raises an issue for me. I would have never thought there would be deserts in Oregon, but we learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,382,939 times
All you need to know about Oregon's desert: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Desert_(Oregon)

That and that it's a great place to visit.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
All you need to know about Oregon's desert: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Desert_(Oregon)

That and that it's a great place to visit.

Thanks for sharing!! Fort Rock and the Pueblo Mountains look beautiful!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,311,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKnight View Post
I don't know how I'll react to grass pollen, but I think I'll have to just visit Portland before I move and see how it is for me. I keep getting conflicting info about the area. Thank you for your response!
You are getting conflicting opinions because different people are affected differently. Some allergy/asthma sufferers feel better at the ocean, some in the desert, nobody (with asthma) in the valley.

As an allergy/asthma sufferer I can tell you that you have to come out and spend time here yourself. Also you can take what is called the PNW Allergy Panel which will expose you to the various allergens native to Oregon to see how you will react to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon