U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 AM

12 posts, read 21,470 times

Advertisements

I'd like to return to my home state of Oregon, and don't really care which area I live in. However, I have one of the less appealing degrees, Liberal Studies, and about one year of experience in the mental health field as Mental Health Para-professional (MHPP in Arkansas is equivalent to Oregon's QMHA). My job title is case manager, and I do the usual case manager duties: connect client's with resources, arrange for and provide transportation, teach social skills, assist in journaling, workbooks, etc.

I work with a diverse population, with diagnoses such as bipolar, borderline personality disorder, intermittent explosive disorder, major depression, etc. My question is this: is the competition for this type of job in this field fierce? I love what I do, and I want to keep doing it. In Arkansas, there is little competition for this type of job, and my liberal studies degree does not detract from my experience and skills base.

My plan is to transfer my graduate level MSW courses to PSU's MSW program - but I can't do that if I can't get a job.

What are your thoughts, folks? I want to come home, but I also need to know what I am up against. I'd even get a second bachelor's degree in psychology if that is what it takes to get a job in case management to get me through the two years that it will take to get my MSW. I'd also be happy to take a case management role in a releated field, such as at DHS.

My questions are: is the competition for these types of jobs in this field ore related fields fierce?

What is the pay for these types of jobs (mental health case mangers in Arkansas make $25.00 per billable hour, but typically only bill 4 hours per day. Salaried, non billable per hour jobs are about $12.50 per hour). I work for a mental health counseling agency.

Are these jobs advertised, or does each company generally just pull from recently submitted applications and resumes? I don't see a lot of advertised jobs as a QMHA.

Thanks so much for reading!

Last edited by pavs; 06-01-2011 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,612 times
Hi PAVS,

I am sorry to say, but the job/employment prospects are few and far between here in Oregon in general, including/especially QMHA opportunities. We have a horrendous unemployment rate. Furthermore, you'd need to have 3 years of experience not just one to be considered a QMHA in Oregon since you don't have a Bachelors in Psychology or related. If you are "lucky" enough to work here in Oregon as a QMHA, you'll only be looking at $10-$12/hr. 24/hr shift work. So, if I were you, I'd stay in AK!!! You'd be taking a HUGE risk moving back here!!! Also, could the weather be worse?!?! It is dark and rainy at least 10 months out of the year here LOL. I WISH I could move!!! My husband and I are stuck here in Oregon though b/c we have a home

In order to have a chance at a counseling/case manager position (or anything related) you'll really need a Master's Degree, not just a Bachelors. Oregon is a very well educated state and therefore, you'll be completing with a lot of cherries ripe for the pickin.'

I TRULY hope this HELPS you. It would be VERY sad if you moved here and things didn't work out b/c on one took the time to tell you what the reality is here in Oregon. I am sorry, I wish I could paint you a rosy picture, but like I said, hopefully you'll appreciate the truth.
Good luck to you!

Last edited by wonderingabout2011; 10-01-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon