Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

"Used to be" is just since I was last there a few years ago. My friends and I went every summer to travel along the coast and that was one place we were sure to stop. I think we will do that this year again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:45 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,393 times
Tidal Raves in Depoe Bay is good. The view of the bay is great too.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:58 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Here's the "Gracie's" I'm talking about:

Gracie's Sea Hag Official Home Page. The Oregon Coasts' most popular family seafood restaurant. Located in Depoe Bay Oregon the heart of the Oregon Coast.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Me too. I think my sign may be an old one. I had it in my picture file to show a friend a long time ago because my kitty's name is Gracie. I didn't realize it had changed.

But it's the one in DePoe Bay for sure.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 PM

95 posts, read 201,224 times
Well, we went to cannon beach today...turns out the sandcastle competition was yesterday, but that's ok. We all had fun playing on the beach for a while. We did go to Mo's, and it was perfect for what we were looking for. The noise level was perfect for my tired kids, and we were really happy with the food and service. We got there right before they got busy, too. it was a lovely day! Coming from az, I never liked seafood so I never ate it.....I ordered the halibut fish and chips with clam chowder, and ate all of it! It was a personal victory for me, as I have never eaten that much seafood I am hoping to make fish more of a staple in my diet here.
I appreciate all of the input, guys! Thanks!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,220 times
This is interesting to see people transcend from the Sandcastle Contest (it was last Saturday June 18th and I forgot about it- you would have wanted to be there as early as possible on Saturday morning as the mid day tide washes in and rinses all the castles away.) Interesting how the conversation here transcended on where to go to eat about places no longer really existing like Moes’, as far as I know. There are also excellent eateries to the south in the Manzanita Beach Nahalem Bay areas. I have not ventured much toward Astoria over the years but hear that it is built up a bit. It is just not as popular as Cannon Beach for scenery. There is much confusion over the years as people from outside of Oregon come here and take a day trip, missing beautiful Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park, and Indian Beach to the adjacent north of Cannon Beach, also Manzanita to the south a few miles with excellent little eateries and bistros, famous breakfast restaurants with all including the excellent Sleepy Monk Coffee Roasters coffees from South Cannon Beach and the immediate Tolavana Park suburb of Cannon Beach. So places like Moe’s are easily forgotten now. The mistake many will make is that they seem to think there is some beautiful mystery movie image of Astoria because of the Goonies movie being filmed there 20 years ago- to their surprise, they are disappointed that Astoria in not a gorgeous Hollywood movie atmosphere yet Gearheart to the immediate south of Seaside is quite inviting for the retirement class. Many outsiders forget to ever make it to Cannon Beach or Manzanita- too bad. This is the false image we can thank from Hollywood movies. Talk to locals instead and drive the entire north coast to the south central to Lincoln City, Newport and Depoe Bay. You’ll discover hundreds of restaurants.

I have resided my entire life in the Portland area and as our parents took us to Cannon Beach every summer to stay in cottages, as we watched the region change- businesses have come and gone and many restaurants that were once popular with the general family dining crowds have now decreased in popularity as Cannon Beach has grown with vacation homes from outsiders, the more trendy restaurants have pervaded the area. Moe’s was originally a single popular sea food restaurant in the Lincoln City at the central Oregon Coast area near the Salishan Spit where my wife and I took our kids many years ago. They then added a second Moe’s in northern Lincoln City area and this is when I believe the quality of over production and possible management changes hurt them. Then another one appeared some years later in Cannon Beach.

As of lately Cannon Beach has so many restaurants now, The Wayfarer is still the choice for best evening dining (where the old entrance to drive onto the beach still remains for official vehicles only, next to the old Ecola Hotel) but many families may find it too expensive. I personally like to take friends there from out of state as haystack Rock can be seen from the far west side windows within the restaurant and the outside dining deck is beautiful on warm summer days. Many other downtown restaurant venues are also popular but thinking now, I cannot even picture that Moe’s still exists there.

I completely forgot about the Sand Castle Contest this year just after reminding everyone else in the Portland area about it prior to the Rose Festival. Also the first messages here asked about it on a Sunday- It is always on a Saturday and was scheduled for June 18th this past weekend as I write here in Monday morning June 20th. I’m sure you’ll see photos of this years event eventually in the Web. – Mark Seibold, Portland Oregon

Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,220 times
*My apologies for mispelling the north cost city of Gearhart

Also here are many links about the Sandcastle Contest, although I have not seen news of it as of Sunday night- since the contest was just yesterday (Saturday June 18th 2011) *Here is the official announcement times and ending by 1 PM Saturday for autos to be off the beach because fo incoming tide >
2011 Cannon Beach Oregon Sandcastle Day Schedule
47th Annual SandCastle Contest - Oregon Coast Visitors Association
Cannon Beach Net - Sandcastle Contest Photos
47th Annual SandCastle Contest in Cannon Beach*Oregon - Travel Oregon

Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Lets see if'n this thing works...

2011 Cannon Beach Oregon Sandcastle Day Schedule
47th Annual SandCastle Contest - Oregon Coast Visitors Association
Cannon Beach Net - Sandcastle Contest Photos
47th Annual SandCastle Contest in Cannon Beach*Oregon - Travel Oregon

Beautiful pics Bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon