Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM

95 posts, read 201,204 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
We are planning on checking out the Cannon Beach Sandcastle Competition this Sunday, and was wondering if anyone else has gone previously?

If so, what time is optimal for viewing the sand creations? (before high tide, etc.) The Cannon beach website says there will be a bbq as well, but lists no times for spectators.
We would like to see them when they are all done, but from what i have read, all cars must be off the beach by 1:30 pm due to high tide.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

PS...We want to go to MOE'S after for a special fathers day dinner....can anyone tell me about it? All i really know is that it's right on the water.

Last edited by peaceloveandtattoos; 06-15-2011 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
I don't know where you should go on CB, but I would give Moe's a pass, i.e. don't do it. Can you maybe hold onto your appetite long enough to make it to McGrath's?

H

Old 06-16-2011, 07:34 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't know where you should go on CB, but I would give Moe's a pass, i.e. don't do it. Can you maybe hold onto your appetite long enough to make it to McGrath's?

H
Or head North and hit one of the multiple awesome places in Astoria.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H
You know it's kind of sad to find out that Moe's is considered "a pass".
Way back when, it used to be "thee-go-to place" on a trip to the coast.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Can you guys elaborate? What is wrong with Moe's? My husband really wants to go there...i think he has fond memories of it....has it become not-so-delicious or something?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Well, I think when Moe's had it's great reputation, there were just not that many great places to go eat when you went to the coast.
Their chowder was pretty darn good, and it was inexpensive, family dining.

I know that when we went to Lincoln City, Moe's was a go to place, as was Gracie's Sea Hag in Depoe Bay.
We also had a special seafood place we went to in Newport, but the name escapes me.

Moe's clam chowder used to be pretty good, and we would always get a quart or two of their chowder base to take home.
I think with the proliferation of small cafes, restaurants, and gifted chefs along the coast now, Moe's just couldn't keep up.
You can get better chowder at lots of other places, and now Moe's just seems average.
It's still better than canned chowder though.

I haven't been to Moe's for a year or two, but the impression I got last time I was there was that it's coasting on it's past reputation and mainly patronized by tourists who don't know any better.

For all I know, the original owners may have sold it and things changed. That happens.

Don't pass on it, try it out and give us some feedback!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
I know that when we went to Lincoln City, Moe's was a go to place, as was Gracie's Sea Hag in Depoe Bay. We also had a special seafood place we went to in Newport, but the name escapes me.
Oh dear. I haven't been to Gracie's in a few years but I hope it is still as good as it used to be.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:22 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh dear. I haven't been to Gracie's in a few years but I hope it is still as good as it used to be.
I don't know about "used to be," but Gracie's is almost always mentioned on any sort of "Best place to dine on the Oregon Coast" list that I've seen in the past 6-7 years. The folks at Oregon Coast Magazine must love it there, they're doing pieces on the Gracie herself at least once a year.

To be up front, my criteria for "Good food" is that I'd go out of my way to dine there again.

I personally feel that there isn't any real good dining options between Astoria all the way down to Florence.

There are certainly passable choices, but it seems most everything is about the quality of Shari's, maybe a step up. Most of it is geared towards tourists who want to go cheap on their vacation or are eating out because they're tired of hot dogs over an open fire. Or, working class locals who mostly want huge cheap portions of food.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Personally, I love Mo's. I still think their clam chowder is hard to beat. mmmmm bacon...

Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks for all the input, guys Much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon