Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM

13 posts, read 122,487 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I currently live in the hell hole of the US....Texas. We would love to move to Oregon, but home prices are out of sight. Is there one area (where people are free to think for themselves) where homes might be a little more affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 08:35 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Most of the eastern part of the state is more affordable. Take a look at Pendleton, La Grande, Baker city, Ontario or most places east of the Cascade mountains. They all get a bit of snow in winter.
I'm not sure what you mean by free to think for themselves.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,798 times
Real estate sales are slowing everywhere including Oregon. We are transitioning from a sellers market to a buyers market. Prices are already being reduced in Oregon. The longer you wait, the better the selection and price.

Real estate prices have gotten way out of hand. Incomes of local residents are not large enough to purchase a property in the city in which they live. Eighty percent of Californian's could not afford to buy the house they are currently living in. The thing that scares me most is that half of the homes sold in the last two years have been sold with no money down here in San Diego. Californians are not to blame for driving up Oregon real estate prices. The lowest interest rates in 50 years and the money supply are to blame.

The answer to your question is to rent until prices bottom.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,129 times
Hi Barnum_ Just like you and your family, we are trying to move out of the hell hole of texas as well.. we are looking at the northeastern part of Oregon.. LaGrande to start, and then on down the list.. If you are like me and are looking on line, ITS sad to see what you get for your money.. We have a beautiful home here in Houston, and wish we could move it with us.. it will probaly only sell for about 140,000.00, but in Oregon it could go for an easy 350,000.00!!!!!!!! IT kills us to think we will have to take a step back, but to live in Oregon and have all the Beauty it has to offer, I guess we will make the sacrafice.. What parts of texas are you in?

Old 09-02-2006, 02:28 PM

The Dallas area....hot as hell area..

Old 09-03-2006, 06:55 AM

As for using the term "free to think for themselves".... one would have to move here from the northeast to understand.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:03 AM

31 posts, read 203,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnum View Post
As for using the term "free to think for themselves".... one would have to move here from the northeast to understand.
I think what you are trying to say is..you like the more "Liberal" mindset.
Isn't Texas Conservative?
Anyway...Oregon is VERY Liberal..and you can say and do pretty much what you want...and MOST people will leave you alone. I do Love Oregon!!!!

Old 09-03-2006, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,129 times
Default Texas Heat

Quote:
The Dallas area....hot as hell area..

Yeah we here ya, we are in Houston.. and I cant take our 5 month old little girl out for walks or anything cause the heat and humidity is just horrid.. we went and spent three weeks in central oregon, Bend, prineville etc, and to have to come back home here is the PITTS!! My lil girl did so well in Oregon and had so much fun being outside! Its amazing how the weather can change you!

No wonder Texas is the fatest state... etc.. Its tooo **** hot to go outside and do anything!!

Old 09-03-2006, 05:20 PM

Yes, Texas is VERY CONSERVATIVE. VERY RELIGIOUS. VERY HOT. VERY ANNOYING....

Likewise they love our current president. What does that tell you about the mindset here?

Old 09-03-2006, 05:41 PM

31 posts, read 203,639 times
Quote:
Yes, Texas is VERY CONSERVATIVE. VERY RELIGIOUS. VERY HOT. VERY ANNOYING....

Likewise they love our current president. What does that tell you about the mindset here?

Sorry to know...that your still living in Texas.
The grass is greener in Oregon...but why is the grass greener????
It rains alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon