U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM

48 posts, read 165,035 times

Advertisements

The Portland area is pretty solidly Mariners turf. Around Salem, you see a fair amount of Giants fans because the minor league team there is the single A team for SF. Down in southern Oregon it's a mix of mostly Giants and A's fans with some Mariners fans mixed in. Medford used to be the home of the single A Athletics minor league team, so there is a loyalty there that is slowly fading. Additionally, we have local tv stations that carry Giants games and some tv packages include comcast bay area and california, so that helps increase their exposure here. Also, Medford is a part of the "junior Giants", so plenty of little kids grow up here wearing Giants uniforms and such. All in all the further south in Oregon you go it's mostly Giants fans. The further north you go it's mostly Mariners fans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM

758 posts, read 2,176,217 times
They play at PGE Park. No, wait...
Well, they would have played at Merritt Paulson Park, if we'd have given it to him. And they could play in Hillsboro just fine. But instead they now play in California. For now.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 PM

758 posts, read 2,176,217 times
And if you are OK with Single-A ball, the Salem Volcanoes are just down the road, while Vancouver appears to have landed a Double-A (?) team for next year.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,805,570 times
Eugene M's

Old 06-29-2011, 08:13 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,234,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Eugene M's
I thought it was the Ems? For Emeralds?

I see M's and I think Mariners...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 PM

5,273 posts, read 13,176,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactowner View Post
Do you guys follow Seattle or maybe the Bay area teams? Just curious.
Probably depends on the persons age. I'm a native born Oregonian, but as I'm in my 50's (oh, the humanity of it all) I was following baseball long before the Mariners- or even the Seattle Pilots for those who remember them.

My team has always been the Dodgers. That said, I also follow the M's and drive up for a couple of games every season.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,738,069 times
Quote:
while Vancouver appears to have landed a Double-A (?) team for next year.
The proposal is still in the planning stages, but if minor league baseball does return to the Portland area, it will probably involve the Yakima Bears (an Arizona Diamondbacks Short-Season A affiliate playing in the same Northwest League as the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes and the Eugene Emeralds).

They would play at a new stadium to be built on the campus of Clark College near downtown Vancouver.

The Oregonian - Single-A Yakima Bears baseball team could land in Vancouver by 2012

Aside from those teams - and the college teams - there are also "collegiate" summer teams like the Corvallis Knights and the Bend Elks (both affiliated with the West Coast League). These teams play around 30 home games over the course of three months in the summer.

Oregon State University's Beavers baseball team actually won the College World Series in 2006 and 2007, which boosted their profile quite a bit. The University of Oregon Ducks haven't been quite as successful.

And though it wasn't covered as much, George Fox University's Division III baseball team won the national championship as well in 2004. In smaller college towns like Newberg, these are big events.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,779,173 times
It's Em's!

And I've heard that the new PK Park (across from Autzen Stadium) where they play is really nice! This game on the 4th will be our first time to check it out.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:40 AM

682 posts, read 1,428,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
And if you are OK with Single-A ball, the Salem Volcanoes are just down the road, while Vancouver appears to have landed a Double-A (?) team for next year.
I think the nearest Double A league is in Texas. As the other poster said, it would be a short season A league team (Northwest League).

Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 AM

13,695 posts, read 26,319,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I thought it was the Ems? For Emeralds?

I see M's and I think Mariners...
The humanity of it all is that the Emeralds are a Padres affiliate.

The Portland Beavers temporarily moved to Tucson, for those who haven't noticed. And they aren't going back to Portland, instead, they are moving to Escondido, CA for some unknown reason.

FWIW, I once met a guy from Corvallis that was a big Mariners fan (no, it wasn't Harold Reynolds).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon