U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,594,805 times

Advertisements

Klamath Falls Gems at Kiger Stadium, a 60+ year old all-wood structure, one of the last left.

http://ci.klamath-falls.or.us/visito.../kiger-stadium
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,775,928 times
The Em's game was awesome last night! And I've never seen a fireworks show like that. It was huge! I think they said over 3000 shells or something. So much fun. And the Em's won their 13th game in a row! Go Em's!!!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:37 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,735,769 times
There was an article yesterday about attendance rising at Volcanoes games, perhaps due to the absence of the Beavers:

Salem-Keizer Volcanoes attendance surges in wake of Portland Beavers' departure

Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Verizon Wireless is giving away free vouchers for the Em's game tonight: Verizon Wireless Partners Wth Ems to Distribute Free Tickets For The July 5th Ballpark Buy-out | Eugene Emeralds News

If the #1 Em's win tonight they will break the record for the most consecutive wins in NW League history! Last night's game (they played the Vancouver Canadian's) was awesome... Lee Orr hit a three-run homer! There was one player on the Vancouver team they seemed to be picking on. Whenever he'd strike out they would have 50% off beer for the next 15 minutes. He struck out everytime! You'd see people running up the stands to get their beer.

PK Park is really nice. The seats are comfy and the variety of food and drinks was great. I got some ice cream served in a little souvenir Em's hat - sweet. We made the mistake of sitting in the middle of a row, though - next time we're getting seats at the end of a row by the stairs. Easier to get in and out when you want more beer, snowcones, whatever! Sluggo kept everyone entertained, there were lots of contests going on, and the music was great. We are baseball newbies, but I have a feeling we're going to become regulars. We had so much fun!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:28 PM

899 posts, read 2,688,403 times
So glad you enjoyed the game..These games are such fun to go to..We have been two of the Volcano games so far and will get tickets in the morning for 2 more in the next 3 weeks..We see each team that the Volcanos play at least once..
Last year we met a man who drove down from Astoria for the game..
We get seats on the 3rd base line...
Later all

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The humanity of it all is that the Emeralds are a Padres affiliate.
Hi David - So can you explain to a baseball newbie such as myself what that means? What are these "affiliates" I keep hearing about? Thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM

13,694 posts, read 26,301,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Hi David - So can you explain to a baseball newbie such as myself what that means? What are these "affiliates" I keep hearing about? Thanks!
Hehe.

Every Northwest League team has a parent, in the Emeralds' case, it is the San Diego Padres.

Every year, Major League Baseball has a draft (of mostly high school and college players), and the players selected in that draft usually sign with the team that drafts them, and the team then sends them to the minor leagues.

Some of the better draftees are immediately sent to the Northwest League, which is a Short Season Class A league. Others have to work their way up from Rookie Ball.

The minor league levels go as follows:

Rookie Ball
Short Season A ball (the Northwest League teams are here, like the Emeralds)
Long Season A ball
Class A Advanced
Double-A (AA)
Triple-A (AAA)
Major League Baseball (MLB)

Most players begin their careers in Rookie or some level of A ball. They move up levels as they get better, with the ultimate goal being the major leagues. Most of the boys you watch play are 18 or 19 years old.

The San Diego Padres (and all other MLB teams) have affiliates at each level listed above. If an Em's player progresses through the minor league system as planned (without getting traded to another organization, which does happen quite often), he will be a San Diego Padre someday. All Em's players are under San Diego Padres' contract and control.

For example, when the Em's play the Everett Aquasox, they are playing against the Seattle Mariners affiliate, players who may be future Seattle Mariners.

Following the season, the better Em's players will move up to higher A teams in Fort Wayne, IN or Lake Elsinore, CA, or to the AA team in San Antonio, TX.

The players who aren't showing progress or a high level of potential at the end of the season, may be released, many to never be seen on the baseball scene again. This is their shot. It's very rare for an A-ball player to stay with the same team for more than two seasons, without getting moved up or released.

I attended several dozen Everett Giants/Aquasox games as a kid, and maybe only a dozen players I ever saw play made it to the MLB (including players I saw from the visiting teams).

Note too, that it isn't uncommon for any given minor league team to change affiliations after a number (sometimes as low as 3) years.

Last edited by Count David; 07-06-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Thank you! I'm kinda sad now, though, because I already have two favorite players. #27 Lee Orr and #19 Cory Spangenberg! Those guys are awesome! It's sad to get attached and then possibly never see them again. I also like #37 Zach Kometami but mostly because I like his name! Hee hee! He seems like a good player too, though, but I'm so new to baseball I don't really know what I'm talking about. I saw three different pitchers play - out of those three I thought Juan Herrera #44 was the best. Boy he wasn't letting anybody steal any bases!! Don't even think about it!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,232,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
The only thing I would add to David's excellent explanation (David, I'd rep ya if I could) is that these minor league teams are often called "farm clubs" because they develop and grow talent for the parent organization.

The "parent" that David refers to is a major league team, a privately owned company, that reaches an agreement with a minor league team, another privately owned company to send them the players they've signed contracts to. One prerogative the major league team gets in this agreement is to trade players and move them up and down in the classes as they see fit, which can cause fits for the minor league team when it happens. The minor league team is often used as a place where a major league player who is injured is sent to begin playing again, usually for a short time so he isn't just thrown in against the big-leaguers.

I love minor league ball...it is usually much more family friendly (as in cheaper), has many more promotions and is often just a lot more fun. Their names show a lot more regional flavor and character than the majors. I love hearing names like the Memphis Chicks, the Birmingham Barons, the Chattanooga Lookouts, the Durham Bulls, the Hawaiian Islanders, the Tuscon Toros, the Phoenix Firebirds, and who can forget the Toledo Mud Hens?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM

48 posts, read 164,984 times
Default Teams / players

You can catch great future stars in the minor leagues. I saw Tim Lincecum play for the Volcanoes, as well as Emanuel Burris. Down in Medford, before they sold their team to Vancover, Jose Canseco, Miguel Tejada, one of the Giambi brothers and a rumor that Mark McGuire played for the southern Oregon a's.

Some of my favorite minor league team names would have to be the Modesto Nuts and the Montgomery Biscuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon