U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,371,905 times

Advertisements

Well, I could just be another Ashland liberal, but I could care less about any baseball played by anyone over 12. I have never had a single discussion about it with any of my friends. Not to say it is not popular and a great game, but many Oregonians are much more into running, hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, whatever, than baseball.

Am I in the minority?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,776,975 times
Fiddlehead - I can totally relate because that's how I was up until a few weeks ago. Unless my kids were out there playing, I couldn't care less about sports at all. (And I'm from Dallas, TX where saying you don't like sports is like saying outloud in polite company that you don't eat meat, don't drink beer, and don't go to church, either. I had a lot of strikes against me in that state.) But watching those Em's play on the 4th of July at PK Park did something to me - I like small-town minor league baseball. Who woulda' thought?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,736,545 times
Minor-league baseball or local college baseball is a different experience from attending a game between two of the big national teams in the MLB.

National Geographic ran an article back in April 1991 called "A Season in the Minors" that followed the travails of minor-league players traveling between smaller stadiums in smaller cities, and it is still a good introduction to the nature and psychology of minor-league baseball.

Minor-league games aren't media events in the same way that "corporate league" games usually are. Their primary importance is to the local community. These games are not being broadcast on national or regional TV. They live and die within the context of the fans who show up to watch.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 PM

899 posts, read 2,688,572 times
I totally 100 percent agree with the above posters..We have tickets for tonights Volcano-Tri-Cities game and since the Volcano's have won their last 6 in a row, we expect to have our cowbell tuned up for a good game..The fans love these teams, give Umps a bad time and hoot howl on good plays and bad ones too.Its just a fun evening for the whole family.
Fiddlehead you should come up to Eugene and see the Em's play sometime..You will enjoy it..
Later all ..

Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 PM

I'll have to look for that NG tablemtn - thanks. (Sometimes at Smith's Family bookstore - used bookstores - and also the public libraries you can find old issues.)

Yes I think that's what got me - the family atmosphere and just the wholesomeness that I felt while at the game. You felt like the players were really putting their heart into it, too. I've been to Texas Ranger's games and didn't enjoy myself at all - and it wasn't just the heat! lol

Anyone tried the Sluggo Nacho Dog at PK Park? I didn't, but I keep hearing about it! They were even talking about it on the radio this morning....

Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 AM

405 posts, read 1,147,546 times
Everybody in Portland cheers for the Ducks football and Trailblazers basketball.. Baseball doesn't exist here.. Sorry. However, everybody is really raving over our professional soccer team! Go Timbers Go!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 AM

Portland is so weird.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 AM

Mystic, thanks for the chuckle..
We meet a number of people at Volcano games who come down
from Portland to watch these young men play ball and have good time..
Going to the game on Monday night

Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,736,545 times
The Oregonian carried an article recently about the Portland suburb of Milwaukee potentially building a new stadium near an under-construction light rail line, and aiming to house a single-A baseball team by the 2014 summer season:

Milwaukie takes serious steps to lure minor league baseball

As the rising attendance at Salem-Keizer Volcanoes games shows, there is a significant demand in the Portland metro area for a baseball team. If Vancouver's team transfers over from Yakima, the Portland area might eventually have two single-A teams to replace the triple-A Beavers.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 AM

HI
Been hearing to that Vancouver is looking into a single A team also..When you go to these games, you see families, little league teams get to participate in opening ceremonies, you meet a lot of nice people and its just fun...I hope that someone north of us will jump on the band wagon and get another team in the neighbor hood..
This week Volcano stadium is hosting the American Legion tournament..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon