Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 14,443 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My family is considering moving to Oregon - and by the research I have done, it seems like Brookings is one of the nicest cities to move to.

However, I have some big questions that will really impact our decision to move:

1. I have looked at so-called temperatures (and they seem excellent!), but how is the wind chill?? I don't want to be fooled by weather reports.

2. Are the winds very chilly in the winter?

3. Are there frequent storms? If so, how often do they occur?

4. How is the economy, especially compared to Indiana, if you can compare?

Thank you for all info you can give me!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 06:44 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Any coastal town will have winter storms, but I can assure you the wind chill is MUCH worse in Indiana. As for the economy, it stinks. Brookings is indeed a very pretty town.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 14,443 times
Oh, the wind chill is good news!

When you say the economy stinks, do you mean worse than other areas of the country, or about the same?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbou View Post
Oh, the wind chill is good news!

When you say the economy stinks, do you mean worse than other areas of the country, or about the same?
Some Oregon coastal cities are, literally, shutting down (Yachats as an example). Brookings is a retirement community predominately and retirees aren't exactly big spenders and it's basically a service industry area. That said, it also depends on what you do for a living (or can do). I mean, people who are good with their hands can often make out a living. I suggest going to the Oregon State Employment web site and looking seeing what types of jobs are open in Brookings and get a feel for it. My sister lived there and worked a state job- she loved it and I enjoyed visiting. However, it is a very remote area- which appeals to some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon