Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:10 PM

35 posts, read 63,982 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your responses... this is great! It's really helping up learn the state before we travel there.

We have heard great things about Eugene! I guess we were initially not interested in the city because we heard there was high crime... perhaps that is not the case. We have so much crime here in Sacramento.. I want to get away from it! But by what you wrote haggardhouseelf, it sounds like an amazing town! Which parts of Eugene do you feel are best to live in?

What about Roseburg? Or Cottage Grove? Anyone know anything about those two towns?

Regarding Ashland.... Initially it seems like an ideal place to raise our kids, but then I hear so much about drugs in the school systems that I am just not so sure?

Keep the info. coming.... this site in incredibly helpful! Thank you all again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&T View Post

We have heard great things about Eugene! I guess we were initially not interested in the city because we heard there was high crime... perhaps that is not the case. We have so much crime here in Sacramento.. I want to get away from it! But by what you wrote haggardhouseelf, it sounds like an amazing town! Which parts of Eugene do you feel are best to live in?
There are certainly parts of the city that we would NOT live in. Those areas have a lot of transients and property crime and questionable things going on. In our experience over the past 17 years living in lots of different places - large and small cities, red and blue states - no place is entirely free from crime. Or meth. Or the homeless problem. Etc...

We live in the northern area of Eugene near Gilham Elementary school. Gilham is a great school, we've been very happy with it. Cal Young - which is the middle school which Gilham feeds into - is also an OK middle school. It used to be a sort of dumpy depressing school but they are in a brand new and beautiful building now, with a new principal who is really great, and things are really on the up-and-up for that middle school. Gilham and Cal Young feed into Sheldon High School, which was ranked as the #2 High School in the state of Oregon this past year. Sheldon does have the IHS program, and so also the the IB program, which is really nice.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
large and small cities, red and blue states - no place is entirely free from crime. Or meth. Or the homeless problem. Etc...
Or talk about drugs in the schools....

Quote:
I hear so much about drugs in the school systems that I am just not so sure?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
What about Roseburg? Or Cottage Grove? Anyone know anything about those two towns?

Regarding Ashland.... Initially it seems like an ideal place to raise our kids, but then I hear so much about drugs in the school systems that I am just not so sure?
Roseburg- Nice place. However, it's kinda become a bit of a druggie area in general. An overgrown lumber town. It's pretty, but I'm not so sure it'd be #1 place to raise a family.

Cottage Grove- My home town!! I have fond memories and think highly of it.

Ashland- Beautiful town! A long ways from the coast and maybe has more screwballs and druggies than any town in Oregon on a per capita basis in my opinion. Very hot in the summer as well.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:03 PM

35 posts, read 63,982 times
Thanks again everyone. We are very excited to make our trip up to Oregon. :-) I know we will eventually find a place that is right for our family... I just hope we choose the right place the first time around! :-)

Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM

20 posts, read 35,992 times
so out of the towns you had listed which are low crime and close to stores etc i also want to move and have been researching alot of areas and i live in ca near modesto and crime and drugs are insane here!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
You need to find a nicer neighborhood in your current community.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Hello again, and thank you for the replies.

By larger town I would mean a town that has access to shopping, activites for kids, etc. With three little kids in tow I don't want to have to drive 45 minutes every time I need to get some major shopping done. :-) So I don't have a particular population number in mind..... Ideally driving distance to the coast would be 1- 2 hours max... this is one of the drawbacks of Ashland for us.

Bluebird39- we are actually traveling to Portland next week. We will stop by Olympia as well.. I have also heard great things about that area. Can you explain your Ashland school comment a little more about being a strange mix of society? Honestly, this is one thing that am unsure of with the Ashland area. I love the hippie town, but I don't know if it will be too much for me once I am there? Any further info. would be great.. feel free to PM if you want. :-) Oh, why did you move from Ashland and where are you living now?

David- why Ashland for you? What do you love about Ashland? What do you dislike about the town? Are you raising a family as well?

Blazer prophet- thank you for all those places... We will look into them. The only place we have considered on your list was Corvallis, but then people say it's very "gray" all winter... and even fall and spring. We can definitely take a change in weather from Sacramento, but gray 8-9 months of the year would not work for us. Would you agree with the "gray" comment? I know everyone has different thoughts on this....

Thank you everyone!
seems we are both seeking the same things for a place and town to live for children and within the same things

Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You need to find a nicer neighborhood in your current community.
nicer is really nowhere around the valley here. My family is all from oregon and we have friends out there so we are set on wanting to move i hate cali.. we pay so much money to rent we pay 1550 a month and where we live is nice area newwer home but still doesnt define that there is nuttin here but drugs and crime and is getting worse. I want my kids to grow up better place, ca is too hot the people and attitudes i come across now just bother me alot, i would love san diego not trying to spend about 2500month to rent out there when we can move our family somewhere we can be close to river mountains and more outdoor family things and in a postive beautiful state where life is happier! Jobs are bad everywhere and i know there is drugs and crime everywhere but for my kids to live a better life somewhere else where its not over populated and overrated with drugs and crime then im sure youd understand

Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
There are many neighborhoods in Oregon that are a great place to raise children. Focus on finding a job first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon