Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 PM

200 posts, read 447,597 times

Advertisements

If you can get the time pres, I suggest road tripping the areas you're interested in (especially if you have some summer vacation time coming your way.) It's really cool to see and understand how the land separates the state.

My suggestion of a good route would be to take the I-5 north up, then break off East over the Cascades either by way of Brownsville or Lebanon to Sweet Home, and take HWY 20. (Beautiful farm villages) The cascades are BREATHTAKING via that route. That will take you to Sisters and then Bend. From there, head north to Redmond, and then Madras (MAD- RASS as the locals say it)

Continue North to The Dalles, and then wind your way west following the columbia river into Portland, and get back on the I-5 to head South into Salem. From there, I would take to the coast, and enjoy the slow meander south back into california.
The coasties will be happy to see you, california plates and all, as they spend great deals of their chamber of commerce budget to attract california tourist money.

Re, Faith:
We reap what we sow, it is written and that's the only book I seem to need. Best I can do is represent myself and my brethren well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 PM

42 posts, read 71,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky_beauty View Post
If you can get the time pres, I suggest road tripping the areas you're interested in (especially if you have some summer vacation time coming your way.) It's really cool to see and understand how the land separates the state.

My suggestion of a good route would be to take the I-5 north up, then break off East over the Cascades either by way of Brownsville or Lebanon to Sweet Home, and take HWY 20. (Beautiful farm villages) The cascades are BREATHTAKING via that route. That will take you to Sisters and then Bend. From there, head north to Redmond, and then Madras (MAD- RASS as the locals say it)

Continue North to The Dalles, and then wind your way west following the columbia river into Portland, and get back on the I-5 to head South into Salem. From there, I would take to the coast, and enjoy the slow meander south back into california.
The coasties will be happy to see you, california plates and all, as they spend great deals of their chamber of commerce budget to attract california tourist money.

Re, Faith:
We reap what we sow, it is written and that's the only book I seem to need. Best I can do is represent myself and my brethren well.
Amen to that! (re, your very last statement). --Looking at a map of Oregon right now and I see, very clearly, the route you're describing. GREAT idea and very doable! Again, thank you ...for all your time and insight!!! ...and I just know you will find your perfect place in Missouri as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 PM

200 posts, read 447,597 times
I sent a friend invite, feel free to shoot me questions anytime.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 PM

42 posts, read 71,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky_beauty View Post
I sent a friend invite, feel free to shoot me questions anytime.
I just accepted. ...not quite sure how this all works (as this is my first time on a forum, but I gather it's similar to Facebook...which I have to say, I'm rarely on. Don't care too much for it!).

But, good to know you will be there if I have an qs. Thanks a million!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
"I just accepted. ...not quite sure how this all works (as this is my first time on a forum, but I gather it's similar to Facebook...which I have to say, I'm rarely on. Don't care too much for it!).

But, good to know you will be there if I have an qs. Thanks a million! "

DO be sure to post your original question on the WA and Idaho forums! I am curious how they compare.

Now I will let you in on a dirty little secret:

Half the people in Oregon are from - wait for it - California! Even me (though 19 years ago, and I was born in Seattle... and my grandpa in Portland ... )

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
Madras... Every area has its own strangely-pronounced place name, in order to separate locals from unlocals...

On my side of the Cascades, we have Lake Oswego, which is pronounced "Sucker Lake." It's true!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgcrush78 View Post
Wow, as a local, I have to say I've never heard it pronounced that way.

Perhaps try "MAD-riss". Otherwise you might get some funny looks.

Mad-riss would be the correct way to say it.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,676 times
Everyone here is encouraging you to come, but the wealthy elite , with their fancy security systems, who kick locals off their land or zone our pristine beautiful places to construct giant palaces are only helping to destroy the state of ORegon. IT isn't so much as California or Oregon, as much as the wealthy elite from California who move up here to take advantage of cheap land and drive the prices through the roof. Many of these people don't contribute anything to the local economy, but rather enrich themselves and keep out anyone not apart of their little circle.

Sorry, preshies, these people can flatter you all they like, but a majority of people will think of you as an invader. There will also be those who kiss your behind and try to pamper you, because they envy your riches.

Your mindset is very Californian though.. Many wealthy Oregonians don't worry about security systems, gated communities and isolating themselves in little California enclaves..

Anyway, hope you enjoy Oregon for it's good points.. Soon, we won't have any forests left, so that the elite dreamers can build their giant palaces and have all the most beautiful spots for themselves. Only a matter of time before the Columbia Gorge is private property. Heck, a good portion of the Oregon coast is off-limits, because rich California (and others) people built their summer beach mansions all along the coast, which they probably only live in like 2 months of the year.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Everyone here is encouraging you to come, but the wealthy elite , with their fancy security systems, who kick locals off their land or zone our pristine beautiful places to construct giant palaces are only helping to destroy the state of ORegon. IT isn't so much as California or Oregon, as much as the wealthy elite from California who move up here to take advantage of cheap land and drive the prices through the roof. Many of these people don't contribute anything to the local economy, but rather enrich themselves and keep out anyone not apart of their little circle.

Sorry, preshies, these people can flatter you all they like, but a majority of people will think of you as an invader. There will also be those who kiss your behind and try to pamper you, because they envy your riches.

Your mindset is very Californian though.. Many wealthy Oregonians don't worry about security systems, gated communities and isolating themselves in little California enclaves..

Anyway, hope you enjoy Oregon for it's good points.. Soon, we won't have any forests left, so that the elite dreamers can build their giant palaces and have all the most beautiful spots for themselves. Only a matter of time before the Columbia Gorge is private property. Heck, a good portion of the Oregon coast is off-limits, because rich California (and others) people built their summer beach mansions all along the coast, which they probably only live in like 2 months of the year.
You write some of the most caustic posts on this forum and I'm not sure you realize that the tone of your posts sounds depressed and bitter.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,676 times
Thank you Silverfall.. I am depressed and bitter.. I wish I could be a happy, go-lucky person like you. I've lived all over this state and watched forests become decimated, beautiful nature and farm areas turn into suburban waste. I've also seen areas that use to be nice for hiking turn into private property and beautiful views now obstructed by rows of giant mansions.

Going to the COlumbia Gorge is liking going to Disneyland now. There is garbage all over the place, it's so crowded you cannot even park at Multnomah Falls unless you go early in the morning. People are switchbacking off trails and eroding the forests. I watched some Indian guys, throw their cigarette butts right into the pool at lower Multnomah Falls. If I wasn't a religious person I'd probably have belted them one in the nose for that. But, I will leave that to God.

Yeah, I am bitter and tired.. The world as we know it is passing away. And, these stuck-up aristocrats who come here to build their palaces and walled communities are just part of it. They don't come to help become part of the community, but rather push out the community to set up their own little societies of people of their class level. It's just classism all over again.

Sad you are driking preshie's kool-aid, Silverfall, but then you're a real estate agent, so who needs to look to you for sympathy in regards to their woes of over-development.

On another note, I am ticked off at a lot of the local people who want to clearcut all the forests. However, despite the fact I think they are stupid for wanting to do this, I find many of them to be good-hearted people who are worried for their families. THe constant drive to survive in this state has led to this corporate logging. Anyhow, it is mostly corporations who are doing the logging now. Most of the small logging communities were dismantled along time ago. People need their paper plates , paper towels and 5000 sq ft palaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon