Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 AM

200 posts, read 509,058 times

Advertisements

FWIW, looking at the OP's posted criteria, I would suggest a close look at Minden, Nevada. IMO, few places are more beautiful than Carson Valley. Carson City, 20 minutes away, has a Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Costco etc. An international airport and major medical services are avaiailable 50 miles away in Reno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 PM

200 posts, read 447,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
On another thread, they stated they wanted to be in a place with a lot of white people. Salem has a large Hispanic population.
Everywhere has a large Hispanic population. I've never seen a dmv yet that didn't have spanish signs, manuals and voter registrations. How much larger can a "welcome mat" get?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 PM

758 posts, read 2,372,185 times
I'm beginning to think we've been punked!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 PM

51 posts, read 94,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky_beauty View Post
Everywhere has a large Hispanic population. I've never seen a dmv yet that didn't have spanish signs, manuals and voter registrations. How much larger can a "welcome mat" get?

I have visited Oregon multiple times and seen maybe 3 Mexicans. If you walk into a walmart in California its 99% mexicans, at least where I live. The cosco in Roseburg blew my mind, ALL white people. So I don't know what you guys are talking about. I am sure eugne and salem have Hispanics.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 PM

200 posts, read 447,779 times
oh, ROSEBURG! lol you have a whole 'nother problem in Douglas county.

Roseburg is pretty civilized, but in other parts of the county... Have you ever seen True Blood? the "Hot Shots" neighborhood comes to mind.

Has it also occurred to you that Wal Mart and Costco have slightly different clientele by nature of the stores?

Last edited by dusky_beauty; 07-22-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 10:34 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Outside Ashland sounds like the best overall match for what your looking for, to me.

Sisters is by itself quite small and might have a bit more winter than you want and and I'd think activity shuts down pretty far outside summer & fall. Right outside Bend might work but there are some past threads on its weather you should probably read thru regarding amount of "gloom" / reactions to it and the amount of spring and when it arrives and make you own judgment.

In eastern Oregon there is LaGrande, though it may fail on the near big city / brand name stores and much upscale development factors but it does well on some of the other criteria. The Running Y Ranch outside of Klamath Falls (now under new ownership and intending to expand and push the upscale factor) or something similar nearby might meet a few of your criteria but probably falls short on more.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-22-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 PM

42 posts, read 71,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Outside Ashland sounds like the best overall match for what your looking for, to me.

Sisters is by itself quite small and might have a bit more winter than you want and and I'd think activity shuts down pretty far outside summer & fall. Right outside Bend might work but there are some past threads on its weather you should probably read thru regarding amount of "gloom" / reactions to it and the amount of spring and when it arrives and make you own judgment.

In eastern Oregon there is LaGrande, though it may fail on the near big city / brand name stores and much upscale development factors but it does well on some of the other criteria. The Running Y Ranch outside of Klamath Falls (now under new ownership and intending to expand and push the upscale factor) or something similar nearby might meet a few of your criteria but probably falls short on more.
Thanks NW Crow. Will check into LaGrande (I see that is really east Oregon) and perhaps more into Ashland, but, as of now we're thinking Bend (and that surrounding area) seems to be what we're looking for...but of course we won't know for sure until we actually go for a visit. Your input is much appreciated!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 PM

42 posts, read 71,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenes2 View Post
FWIW, looking at the OP's posted criteria, I would suggest a close look at Minden, Nevada. IMO, few places are more beautiful than Carson Valley. Carson City, 20 minutes away, has a Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Costco etc. An international airport and major medical services are avaiailable 50 miles away in Reno.
Thanks for your suggestion but we're really looking for places in Oregon, not Nevada.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
oh, ROSEBURG! lol you have a whole 'nother problem in Douglas county.

Roseburg is pretty civilized, but in other parts of the county... Have you ever seen True Blood? the "Hot Shots" neighborhood comes to mind.

Has it also occurred to you that Wal Mart and Costco have slightly different clientele by nature of the stores?

Wal marts where I live is like a hub for mexicans. They love wal mart. Target often has at least a few white people. I wouldn't go to cost you less it seems very ghetto. I am use to meth heads, crack heads, pot heads, and everything you can think of. We have the ICE in the valley that stuff is everywhere.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:

When you call the Oregon state DMV do you have to press 1 for English???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon