U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,730,975 times

Advertisements

This may be a silly question, but with all the rain & dampness do you get much mold there? I heard someone say a while back that they lived near Coos Bay in a RV & they had mold problems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,503,124 times
Yes we do. Usually from improperly sealed windows in bedrooms/bathrooms. I see it in a lot of lower income housing, or places that aren't taken care of.

I also think it's a different type of black mold as it doesn't seem to have many spores although it does effect some people's asthma still.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Yes we do. Usually from improperly sealed windows in bedrooms/bathrooms. I see it in a lot of lower income housing, or places that aren't taken care of.

I also think it's a different type of black mold as it doesn't seem to have many spores although it does effect some people's asthma still.
That's what made me start thinking about it when considering moving to Oregon, because I have really bad asthma. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 AM

480 posts, read 2,334,974 times
The high desert (east of the Cascades) doesn't have the mold problem found in the more humid parts of the state but even here we have what is called snow mold that sometimes grows in the shady areas of grass (but not inside our homes)

Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,055,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
The high desert (east of the Cascades) doesn't have the mold problem found in the more humid parts of the state but even here we have what is called snow mold that sometimes grows in the shady areas of grass (but not inside our homes)
This is partially true, although black (and other types) of molds that grow in homes can be found here. In fact, my home had some minor black mold issues, which as hamellr stated, was due to old aluminum windows. We fixed the issue and haven't had it, but it can happen, even in dry climates.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,503,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
This is partially true, although black (and other types) of molds that grow in homes can be found here. In fact, my home had some minor black mold issues, which as hamellr stated, was due to old aluminum windows. We fixed the issue and haven't had it, but it can happen, even in dry climates.
Yep! It's caused by condensation collecting where there is an extreme temperature difference. In the case of one of my old apartments this was leading to rot under the window sill and causing bigger issues.

Coupled with a lack of response of any kind about fixing the problem by the Apartment management led me to leave that place.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 PM

14,981 posts, read 36,862,421 times
We do have mold in Oregon and proper ventilation typically takes care of it. For example, most older homes don't have fans in their bathrooms, as people were supposed to open the window when taking a shower. Most people don't do that, and alas...humid room, water, plus spores (which are everywhere and natural), means mold growth. As long as water/moisture is controlled mold growth won't happen, but failure to fix a leaking sink, roof leak, etc makes our Oregon mold spores happy.

Was in a foreclosure the a month ago that had the garage filled with mold. Based on the electrical wiring in there, I'm pretty sure it was a happy grow lab for a while. I wouldn't freak out about it, but just know what you need to do to prevent it from growing in your home.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:56 PM

758 posts, read 2,223,185 times
Yes, as others have noted, proper ventilation and sealing does the trick. Run the fan for ten minutes after your shower; use mild bleach solution to kill it, and there are clear sprays that can be used to prevent its formation.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:09 PM

15,294 posts, read 15,458,743 times
Mostly in older homes that have poor drainage, no moisture barrier in the crawl space, blocked or nonexistent crawl space and attic ventilation, poor insulation in the walls, poorly maintained roof and gutters, etc. Most older homes were built in the era of wood heat, which really sucks the moisture out of a house.

Modern, well maintained houses don't have a problem with mold.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Thanks you so much for all your responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: