Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times

Advertisements

As a midwesterner, I sure got a kick out of the "snow" reporting and updates on the Portland media this weekend. That was a riot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
As a midwesterner, I sure got a kick out of the "snow" reporting and updates on the Portland media this weekend. That was a riot.
It's not the snow that is the problem, it's the black ice under it that hovers right at freezing temperatures and is extremely slick. It hasn't been bad yet, but I'd still be careful driving until temperatures get above freezing again.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 AM

1,094 posts, read 883,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Many intersection don't even have a flashing yellow arrow, but it's only used here in some intersections which have a separate set of signals for the left turn. The order in the "tree" is:
Solid red
Solid Yellow or Yellow arrow (flashing and non-flashing)
Solid Green

The solid red and green are pretty obvious - the solid yellow is used between the solid green and the solid red to tell you your right-of-way is ending. The flashing yellow arrow is a yield to tell you that you may turn left if it's clear. The flashing yellow arrow goes to a solid yellow arrow at the end of the cycle, right before it turns red.
More on this.

The old method of using a five-light signal (circular red, circular yellow, circular green, yellow arrow, green arrow) is not prohibited, but it is greatly restricted:

- It can't be placed over the left turn lane. It must be over the lane line separating the left turn lane from the thru lane, or over the thru lane.

- If left turns are allowed in both directions on circular greens, the sequence must be limited so that circular greens facing opposite ways must end at the same time. This is necessary to prevent the yellow trap hazard.

The new flashing yellow arrow four-light signal has the following advantages:

- The sequence of lights is not limited. Circular greens can end at different times.

- The flashing yellow arrow shows whenever the oncoming cars have circular green. This prevents yellow trap.

- The flashing yellow arrow can be shown while the adjacent thru signals have circular yellow or circular red. This is impossible with the circular green left turn.

- The signal shows a red arrow when the cross street has green lights.

- Sequences that are not allowed (or possible) using circular green for left turns are possible with flashing yellow arrows.

- Green light progression is now possible in more two-way streets.

The difference between circular green and flashing yellow arrows is the indication given to drivers who are NOT turning left.

Note that a steady red arrow means you can not go. A flashing yellow arrow allows a turn after a stop.

Note that the word "solid" is confusing here, because some people take it to mean circular, while others take it to mean not flashing. So I (and the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices) use "steady" for not flashing, and "circular" for not an arrow.

Quote:
In England, the solid yellow is used in both directions to tell you the light is about to change - before the red AND before the green.
This is strictly forbidden in the US. Too many idiots went on the yellow before green, while too many other idiots ran the yellow at the same time.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
It's not the snow that is the problem, it's the black ice under it that hovers right at freezing temperatures and is extremely slick. It hasn't been bad yet, but I'd still be careful driving until temperatures get above freezing again.
Sure I get that - my point was to the OP's question that I found the incessant media hype unusual. Isn't it winter?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

To tell the truth, even Portlanders laugh at the media circus when snow is forecast.
Usually they forecast snow two or three times before we get any.

It's kind of a Portland tradition.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:16 AM

247 posts, read 745,233 times
I'm sorry, I just have to chuckle at the PDXers abandoning their cars in 3" of snow.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Well when there's slick ice UNDER that 3" of snow and you have no traction, what are you supposed to do, carry your car home?

Come on, it snows maybe ONCE a year in Portland.

Our cars are set up to drive in 40°F rain, not snow.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBoy914 View Post
I'm sorry, I just have to chuckle at the PDXers abandoning their cars in 3" of snow.
How much black ice was under that snow? Was it on a sloping street? Were the cars slipping and sliding? You have to take in account all potentially dangerous driving conditions and not just the ones you see.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 PM

247 posts, read 745,233 times
From a friend who was on the scene, there was no black ice in this spot.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 PM

14 posts, read 26,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Oregon requires studded tires to be removed by April 1. Many times that is just a smidge early, and we have a late winter storm that dumps quite a bit of snow in the Cascades, but by April 15 spring is well on its way. You should be OK anywhere except high in the Rockies, where I have seen snow on the 4th of July.

If you are driving a U-Haul and the weather turns ugly, just pull into a motel and wait it out. Chalk the 2 or 3 extra days up to travel expense.
Larry, thank you so much for your response! Sorry, I am a bit late, but I was away from this forum for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon