Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 18,135 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Oregon. I'm a Jersey girl who has lived in SE New Mexico 4 years...love the weather, low cost of living, sparse population...BUT..they are offering more money and perhaps a better opportunity; I'm not sure I want to deal with the rain, traffic, increased housing cost....any thoughts?? I have 5 kids and husband to move too.....and could most likely go anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, I work in healthcare...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 10:34 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
love to help you, not really sure on your question though.....Sounds kinda like your thinkin outloud.
Anything a bit more specific we could help you with?
Rain will depend on where you go. And its not as bad as many say. I have a dear friend in Texas, and she says shes so sick of the flooding evertime it rains, she is counting the days when she can come back to Oregon and the worst that happens when it rains, is you get wet. lol, actually, it can and has been worse, we've had flooding, and slides due to too much rain. But you know, I only recall once when it rained so much, caused floods where roads were closed and people lost possessions. But it lasted only a few days, and most of those who lost anything, were lowland by rivers/creeks.
Traffic, that depends on where youre at. Ya, Portland area can be a real snarl. And downtown Tigard, 205 can be nasty during rush hour, the typical tie ups. Or you can move out to the coast like I did and have no traffic at all really. Road rage has gone from daily to rarely out here.
increased housing costs, well, i cant help you there, some say their going up, others say their going down. And again, its going to depend on the area you decide upon.
anyhow, if you have anything more specific, Id love to be of help.
Best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 PM

59 posts, read 270,873 times
If you aren't into rain you might consider someplace in Central Oregon or Central Washington.

Bend, Oregon is a great place for a family. You wouldn't have rain or traffic issues, but housing is probably more than in SE NM. Not sure

If you can deal with a bit of rain, I love Corvallis, Oregon. A charming college town in a gorgeous area, close to the beautiful Oregon Coast. Salem, Oregon is about an hour north or so and is quite affordable and would have a lot of job opportunities. That is where went to high school, so I'm kind of partial.

Those are my favorite places in the Pacific Northwest.

You could also look into Southern Oregon (Medford, for example).

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Waterlily; 08-13-2007 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Should be about Oregon

Old 08-17-2007, 03:43 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,375 times
When someone says they're 'moving to Oregon' that's like saying you're 'moving to New England', lol. It's a big state. Where in OR were you thinking of moving? It's diverse in terms of climate and landscape too. Good luck, keep us posted!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 AM

12 posts, read 56,227 times
bend is the "sunny" city in Oregon. we are on the east side of the cascade mountians. High desert, dry air, hot, but not humid. Very beautiful.
Check out st charles medical center for employment or bend memorial clinic.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:14 PM

174 posts, read 940,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMom View Post
I am considering moving to Oregon. I'm a Jersey girl who has lived in SE New Mexico 4 years...love the weather, low cost of living, sparse population...BUT..they are offering more money and perhaps a better opportunity; I'm not sure I want to deal with the rain, traffic, increased housing cost....any thoughts?? I have 5 kids and husband to move too.....and could most likely go anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, I work in healthcare...
I just left Montana for Spokane for better money and work, or so I thought. I hated it so badly I left after six months. SO think twice if you enjoy your low cost of living and sparse population. You won't find that in Oregon. Spokane was a big bustling icky city and I couldn't wait to return to the wide open space. The money wasn't worth the stress and it's better for raising kids here I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon