Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:01 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,178,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety First View Post
Things I consider and would like to see in my new home:

* Lack of illegal aliens

* Government that is liberty loving and non-invasive (respects self-defense, 2nd amendment rights, will not limit number of dogs)

* Populace that has a large majority of white folks

* Low rainfall measurements, lack of heavy snows, fairly mild summer

* Availability of lots with 1 acre or more of land (either with a home or suitable for building)

* Grocery stores and a hospital within short distance

Thanks to all who read and can offer a firsthand or intimately knowledgeable view of the area.
I live in Baker City:

No illegal aliens.

Guns and dogs should not be lumped together in a single category. No problem with gun ownership. Crime rate is so low that self-defense probably does not apply. If you want more than four dogs you must get a kennel license-not because of invasive government, but because Baker City is a nice place to live and the citizens want to keep it that way.

Population is 95% white. In spite of what some urban people might think this indicates, there are no white supremacist groups.

(A person who wants to live in a homogeneous population is not always a racist. There are good reasons for wanting to do so. See this study by a liberal academic:
Bowling With Our Own by John Leo )

13 inches of precipitation per year, some snow, but usually not heavy. It does get hot in the summer.

Large lots are available in the area, but may be hard to find within the city limits.

One Safeway, one Albertson’s and one independent supermarket. A small but modern hospital.

Google Baker City for more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 19,886 times
Safety First - Forget Baker City. 2000 Census only had 94% of the population as white. That other 6% could be scary.

You might want to consider Kwigillingok, Alaska. But wait! Does Native American count as "white"? I'm never sure about these things.

I'm sure the fine citizens of Kwigillingok will welcome you and your wonderful family with open arms!

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times
Doesn't Safety First have a right to choose where he wants to live based on what he feels is best for him and his family?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:00 PM

11 posts, read 30,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I think the following towns meet your requirements: La Grande and Baker City. Both places have less than 15,000 people, but do have the basic amenities of a supermarket and a hospital. La Grande also has a college. However, both towns are quite isolated from larger metro areas, especially during winter months. Check with a local realtor about acreage outside both towns. Home prices are very low in both towns, but selection is limited.

They are on my list of places to look at. Thanks for sharing what you know.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:38 PM

11 posts, read 30,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I live in Baker City:

No illegal aliens.

Guns and dogs should not be lumped together in a single category. No problem with gun ownership. Crime rate is so low that self-defense probably does not apply. If you want more than four dogs you must get a kennel license-not because of invasive government, but because Baker City is a nice place to live and the citizens want to keep it that way.

Population is 95% white. In spite of what some urban people might think this indicates, there are no white supremacist groups.

(A person who wants to live in a homogeneous population is not always a racist. There are good reasons for wanting to do so. See this study by a liberal academic:
Bowling With Our Own by John Leo )

13 inches of precipitation per year, some snow, but usually not heavy. It does get hot in the summer.

Large lots are available in the area, but may be hard to find within the city limits.

One Safeway, one Albertson’s and one independent supermarket. A small but modern hospital.

Google Baker City for more information.
Very informative... especially about your dog regulations and the local amenities. Sounds like a nice place. Will check it out.

Thank you very much.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:46 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakoda29 View Post
Safety First - Forget Baker City. 2000 Census only had 94% of the population as white. That other 6% could be scary.

You might want to consider Kwigillingok, Alaska. But wait! Does Native American count as "white"? I'm never sure about these things.
Interesting you should mention this. I just moved to Baker City from Bethel, AK, which, of course, is just upriver from Kwigillingok on the flat, treeless tundra. Lived there for 13 years. Bethel has an even more diverse population than Kwigillingok. Mostly Yupik' Eskimo. Second largest group is whites, also many Koreans, people from the Philippines, Mexico, Central America, etc.

Interesting statistic:

Kwigillingok, population about 350: registered sex offenders 5.
Bethel, population about 6000: registered sex offenders 84
Baker City, population about 10,000: registered sex offenders ZERO.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times
American Renaissance News: Top 100 Least Racially Diverse Cities (pop. 5,000+) (http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2007/08/top_100_least_r.php - broken link)

Does this help anyone?

Old 09-02-2007, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,208 times
Baker county does have sex offenders... we had on right in our neighborhood. I think Baker is the last to make them register. Oregon is one of the last States to put them online. They want you to mail away for the list. Also in 2000 Baker County was listed as the number one county in Oregon for insest. It all happens here in little old baker too.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
I was just through there, and visited LaGrande and Pendleton, both nice little towns. LaGrande has Eastern Oregon University and I think a hospital. I know Pendleton has a fair sized hospital. Both really pretty, clean towns with friendly people. Probably would be nice retirement spots as well as good for families.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,093 times
Yeah, North Idaho is a better choice. La Grande, like many areas of OR is fairly white, but has a hospital and a liberal college_so racism is NOT tolerated. A good number of the students who support the community are foreign exchange.
Better yet, you'd do well to move to East Oakland or South San Francisco.

Last edited by eoyellow; 03-18-2008 at 04:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon