Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:11 PM

72 posts, read 113,254 times

Advertisements

We are two active, 55 year old retirees from the mid-west planning a scouting trip to Oregon in September. We plan to rent a small pop-up trailer and camp while checking out the Willamette valley (Eugene, Corvallis, Salem, maybe Portland.)

We'd like a place where we could garden and enjoy the outdoors (hiking and biking primarily.) Walkability would be great also.

We recently came back from visiting a resort community in the south that was wasn't our cup of tea. Too much traffic, winding roads and angry people tailgating. We have plenty of that here. No need to move where there are more of them.

We have looked at Bend, Medford, Ashland and the southern coast on a previous trip and decided they weren't for us.

Any suggestions on where to camp, etc. would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 05:50 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
I would switch the plan from maybe Portland, to Portland for sure. Camp at Champoeg outside of Newberg when visiting the Portland area.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 AM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
HI
I would try Phoenix RV Park in Salem and Silver Spurs out in Silverton both are Good Sam parks and close to the main roads, stay away from Salem RV Park on the south end of town, we stayed there once and it was not pleasant the other two are excellent..There is another nice one up by the factory outlets in Woodburn that is always busy and again right off I-5..
Good to the library and see if they have a copy of the Trailer Life campground books that list
all the camping grounds..
Hope you have luck finding what your looking for when you come out..
safe travels to you

Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Silver Falls and Champoeg State Parks have campgrounds

Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates
Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates

Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. We will check them out. I noticed mamh mentioned Good Sam parks. What does that mean?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Good Sam RV Club

I found the Moon Outdoors paperbook "Oregon Camping" as Costco. It is available through Amazon too. Great book. PM me if you want to borrow mine.

Brat

Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Orphan View Post
......... I noticed mamh mentioned Good Sam parks. What does that mean?
Let me google that for you

Old 08-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Good Sam Parks, meet the standards similar to what Triple A does with hotels..
They are very much like Triple A in that they offer services and travel advice..
The two parks I mention are both clean and well kept..Phoenix RV Park here in
Salem was our home away from home when we still in our motorhome and waiting
for our house to be finished...
Silver Spurs is also real nice as I'm in silverton at least once sometimes more and its always
full of guests and close to Silver Falls state park, Oregon gardens,(my favorite hangout)and shoping.
they each have web pages..
Good sam also publishes a magazine too
Hope this answers your questions.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 PM

One more 2 cents worths from me,
by staying in good local rv park you are going visit with a lot of local people who are parked there
awaiting houses to be finished , working in the area and get a better feel for the area verses staying in one of our state parks..
We are former full time RVers..We found our house here in salem just by accident and never looked back..
enough of my dollar two ninety eight nonsense..

Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
One more 2 cents worths from me,
by staying in good local rv park you are going visit with a lot of local people who are parked there
awaiting houses to be finished , working in the area and get a better feel for the area verses staying in one of our state parks..
We are former full time RVers..We found our house here in salem just by accident and never looked back..
enough of my dollar two ninety eight nonsense..
Thanks, mamh for the info! Someone else had mentioned Good Sam Parks to us when we were camping two years ago. We are not a fan of KOAs. We thought they would be like those. Sounds like it's a group of independents that have to meet a "standard" to be a Good Sam park. I didn't really get that from their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon