Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,562 times

Advertisements

I am a french citizen and partnered with an American citizen. We both currently live in europe, France, as I, being a french citizen, have no green card and my parnter can't go back to his country without having to leave me here.

I have been teaching French as a foreign language for several years now and would like to find a position where I could use that skill which could be either teaching or translating. I am totally fluent in english as I am also an english teacher in a french university.

Please help us out.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CV 2011.txt (3.4 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Fdutent; 08-22-2011 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: add my resumé
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,750 times
The first problem you will have is finding a school (or anyone for that matter)that will be willing to sponsor a visa for you. With today's economic situation, many foreign language classes are being trimmed or completely eliminated which makes the likelihood of finding a sponsor even smaller. Your best chance would be at an expensive college-prep private school that would be easier to find in a large city or a town with lots of money in the population. Schools for example could be EF International Academy in New York state or through Sabis International. An optional approach to get you to the States and eventually with a green card would be to work for a French-speaking company with offices in the US or for a French speaking consulate or embassy. New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, perhaps Denver or Seattle come to mind as possibilities. Very unlikely any opportunity for French language work in Oregon. You might also contact an American or International school in Europe that would expose you to American students and might possibly lead eventually to an opportunity in the US. Try calling the American School of Paris in St. Cloud to see if they have any pointers for you. Bonne Chance!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 PM

504 posts, read 2,176,191 times
School budgets here have been slashed heavily in the last several year, but even worse lately. It's not a good situation, I'm afraid.

As mentioned, you might try private schools, possibly even small community colleges in rural areas. Sometimes being in a big city means more competition.

I hate to say it, but if it's not on a standardized test (ie reading and math, science), it's getting cut, or has been cut.

I grew up in Louisiana, which has a Cajun French speaking population. There used to be exchange programs between native French teachers and such there. But that's probably long gone too. Still, you might look into it if you're open to that. There's also the French Caribbean area, so maybe there's work translating in the US close to there (Florida?).

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site is the federal government job website. You could try there too.

I met someone once who translated English to German for a big computer company. You might try that too. Bonne chance!

Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
There's this (the French American International School of Portland). I know nothing about it but it worth a look.

French American International School: Home

Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM

758 posts, read 2,372,404 times
"There's this (the French American International School of Portland). I know nothing about it but it worth a look."

As I recall, they filed for bankruptcy about a month ago, so I don't know whether they will be opening this year.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Oh, I missed that. I think one of the posters on the Portland forum had a job offer there. Ouch!!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 AM

181 posts, read 455,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
"There's this (the French American International School of Portland). I know nothing about it but it worth a look."

As I recall, they filed for bankruptcy about a month ago, so I don't know whether they will be opening this year.
I just Googled this out of curiosity, and it's actually the Portland French School that closed, not the French American International School. Portland French School in Southwest Portland to close | OregonLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon