Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonL View Post
I move about every 5 years, not because I can't settle, but because I believe life is too short not to enjoy what is out there ! I currently live in Texas, and my husband and I have also discussed our next move to be to Oregon or Washington. I have driven through both, and have stayed in a few areas. I simply don't agree with some previous posters statements about finding a job first, then live there. Absolutely not ! You find where you want to live, then start applying for jobs before you move, and if you find that you are just not getting any leads...maybe try town #2 on the list. I also think they assume you don't know how to budget or plan a move. Well, I have lived on the East Coast, West Coast, and Mid-West...and economy or not, if you want it to happen, you will make it work. I do agree with planning a road trip, whether you drive from Texas or fly into Portland for instance, rent a car, and stay a week. That is something my husband and I have always done. Between sites like this one, where you can get a lot of information about the good/bad of each area and a road trip...it really makes all the difference ! We have often found that places we thought we would like, we didn't...and places we weren't sure of...we loved ! I would suggest doing a lot of online research and narrowing your list to 4-5 places so you can focus on those. We tentatively plan to do things a little different this time. We would like to move in the spring, store our things, and stay in a decent RV park and explore for a few months before we actually settle on a place. The hope is to be settled in a home in our desired location by winter. Also, like California for instance, you can always drive to the nearby mountains for snow. We do always plan for moving/storage expenses, and 6 months of living expenses...3 months if either of us land a job.
Which is exactly the advice always given here. But take a look at some of the "planning to relocate" posts and see how many do not. No plan, no money and no thought as to how they will live once they get here. You have the right idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 02:55 PM

37 posts, read 95,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Which is exactly the advice always given here. But take a look at some of the "planning to relocate" posts and see how many do not. No plan, no money and no thought as to how they will live once they get here. You have the right idea.
I do think there are many who have unrealistic expections, but I find some responses to be so negative and with the assumption that the poster doesn't know how to budget, plan a move, or understand the job market. I am going to assume they do unless they indicate otherwise. I think a lot of those who don't seem to have any kind of realistic plan are just dreamers, and don't actually make the move. The one's that do and complain about it...well, its a life experience

Old 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,253 times
Quote:
I move about every 5 years, not because I can't settle, but because I believe life is too short not to enjoy what is out there ! I currently live in Fort Worth, Texas. My husband and I have also discussed our next move to be to Oregon or Washington. I have driven through both, and have stayed in a few areas. I simply don't agree with some previous posters statements about finding a job first, then live where you work. Absolutely not ! I say find where you want to live, then start applying for jobs before you move, and if you find that you are just not getting any leads...maybe try town #2 on the list. I also think they assume you don't know how to budget or plan a move. Well, I have lived on the East Coast, West Coast, and Mid-West...and economy or not, if you want it to happen, you will make it work. I do agree with planning a road trip, whether you drive from Texas or fly into Portland for instance, rent a car, and stay a week. That is something my husband and I have always done. Between sites like this one, where you can get a lot of information about the good/bad of each area and a road trip...it really makes all the difference ! We have often found that places we thought we would like, we didn't...and places we weren't sure of...we loved ! I would suggest doing a lot of online research and narrowing your list to 4-5 places so you can focus on those. We plan to do things a little different this time. We would like to move in the spring, store our things, and stay in a decent RV park and explore for a few months before we actually settle on a place. The hope is to be settled in a home in our desired location by winter. Also, like California for instance, you can always drive to the nearby mountains for snow.
I think you're situation is unique. Most people who are looking to relocate arent in a position to take off in an RV for a few months, drive around from place to place and leisurely find a new city to live in. I think if someone is considering Oregon as their home and they do not have several months or years disposable income then they absolutely should take job security into consideration, especially since Oregons unemploment is one of the nations highest. I guess I am looking at this from a perspective that younger individuals may have or people with families/children. Now if you are retired or have no job and more money that you know what to do with, your approach makes sense. For the average American trying to get a job, etablish roots and raise a family this simply doesnt makes sense

Old 09-05-2011, 04:12 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,253 times
Quote:
I do think there are many who have unrealistic expections, but I find some responses to be so negative and with the assumption that the poster doesn't know how to budget, plan a move, or understand the job market. I am going to assume they do unless they indicate otherwise. I think a lot of those who don't seem to have any kind of realistic plan are just dreamers, and don't actually make the move. The one's that do and complain about it...well, its a life experience
From what I have seen, most people posting here ARE asking what jobs can be found, how high is rent, what areas are affordable, how high is COL....kind of the purpose of this forum you know? What are being misconstrued as negative responses are actually pretty
realistic characteristics of our state and a lot of the tips and advice given by residents are valuable.
What I find amusing and often entertaining is when folks who dont even live here love to offer lots of advice about our city and state. While I may find Ft Worth appealing and a possible place to relocate I dont pretend to know squat about what that city is like until I actually ask people from there what they think

Old 09-05-2011, 04:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Sharon, maybe what you are seeing as negative is justified in that so many young people come here without a clue of how to support themselves and wind up on the streets.

Have you been to downtown Portland for example? Some play at being street kids, others really get stuck there because they have no where to go. Every so often the newspapers write stories about the growing numbers of families living in cars. Does this happen in other places? Sure. But it is so common in Portland that people feel it is something to be aware of when contemplating a move and not having a plan.

I really do not see where it's evident that people just assume posters do not have a budget or plan or whatever, they usually ask "Do you have a job?" or "Be aware that the job market is tough." It is helpful to ask if they don't mention it to be certain they become aware of the conditions here.

You may look at that as negative but it's more like fair warning. The situation in Portland may not be the same as the situation where you are or ever where. You really have to live a place and experience what goes on before you can make generalizations of how things are.

People often come on this forum and give advice based not on experience of living here but on other places they have lived. They do not understand that while Oregon may have the same or even lower unemployment stats than other states, other states do not have people flocking here to live. And then they have to compete with those already out of work for the few jobs available.

Negativity is not a bad thing when it's being used to be helpful.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:02 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,516 times
Wow, it is kind of amazing that someone would ask about the 'best' places to live in Oregon. Oregon is a very large state with many facets and climates. Like most places, there is a lot to love and to dislike. I love the Oregon coast and would live there but the winter climate might not agree with me. Portland is awesome but it's a city; don't know about living in a city again. The 'burbs are nice but are they so different from Ashland, where we now live? Ashland is lovely but is far from the beach. Bend is great but it has snowy winters which I don't like.
See what I mean? Take a trip out here and poke around to get a feel for what suits you. One person's 'best' place is another person's 'worst'. It is all subjective.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 8,353 times
thank you, every little bit of extra info helps, especially because we r bringing our kids with us,

Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM

30 posts, read 82,983 times
My wife and I bought a house in Lincoln County (Central Coast). We plan to retire there. My observation in this area is there are very few jobs. Almost no low skilled jobs ie: fast food, retail, jobs where little or no skills are required. Even when these jobs open up the pay scale is usually minimum wage due to it being an employer market. I also observed there are many volunteer jobs filled by retirees. These are jobs in most states that would be paying jobs but in Oregon they are not. People here are just trying to let you know that maybe in the town you now live in may have jobs available at places like Wal-Mart, Target, McDonalds, Burger King, etc. These jobs are seldom available and when they are there are so many people applying, your odds of being hired are very small. Plus they are usually filled by friends. We just wanted to let you know that if you think you will move here, take a low paying job to start and then move into something better, it more than likely won't happen.

Last edited by bar20; 10-10-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Sharon, maybe what you are seeing as negative is justified in that so many young people come here without a clue of how to support themselves and wind up on the streets.

Have you been to downtown Portland for example? Some play at being street kids, others really get stuck there because they have no where to go. Every so often the newspapers write stories about the growing numbers of families living in cars. Does this happen in other places? Sure. But it is so common in Portland that people feel it is something to be aware of when contemplating a move and not having a plan.

I really do not see where it's evident that people just assume posters do not have a budget or plan or whatever, they usually ask "Do you have a job?" or "Be aware that the job market is tough." It is helpful to ask if they don't mention it to be certain they become aware of the conditions here.

You may look at that as negative but it's more like fair warning. The situation in Portland may not be the same as the situation where you are or ever where. You really have to live a place and experience what goes on before you can make generalizations of how things are.

People often come on this forum and give advice based not on experience of living here but on other places they have lived. They do not understand that while Oregon may have the same or even lower unemployment stats than other states, other states do not have people flocking here to live. And then they have to compete with those already out of work for the few jobs available.

Negativity is not a bad thing when it's being used to be helpful.
It definitely doesn't sound easy to get going in Oregon if one decides to move there. I lived in southern California. The job market, foreclosures, just awful. Many living on the streets in San Diego. I definitely do not think that questions such as, "Do you have a job?" or "Be aware that the job market is tough," is negative at all. My original post was to give my perspective based on relocating which I have done a lot over the years. I have had a few responses to my post, which seems to have rubbed some people the wrong way, and that's fine. I am not giving advice on where to live in Oregon, only on general relocation. What really bothered me were comments that weren't just honest, but brutal in my opinion, and unnecessarily so...for example,

"You're both in your twenties, so that means little to no real experience. The types of jobs you're going to be looking for get 500 or more resumes, often from highly qualified people.

You can only live on the scenery and outdoor activity for so long, but it doesn't put food on the table or a roof over your heads."

I am offended by this type of comment because I have a daughter in her early 20's, who works hard and lives in an area that has a very difficult job market. She has considered relocating, and I would hope someone would just give her an honest answer and suggestions, without the assumption that she is young and clueless to the world around her.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
From what I have seen, most people posting here ARE asking what jobs can be found, how high is rent, what areas are affordable, how high is COL....kind of the purpose of this forum you know? What are being misconstrued as negative responses are actually pretty
realistic characteristics of our state and a lot of the tips and advice given by residents are valuable.
What I find amusing and often entertaining is when folks who dont even live here love to offer lots of advice about our city and state. While I may find Ft Worth appealing and a possible place to relocate I dont pretend to know squat about what that city is like until I actually ask people from there what they think
It's not the suggestions and realities of the difficult job market of some of the postings that bothered me, its the way in which some of it was written. Some very helpful and some just negative, in my opinion. But, what is great about city-data is that everyone is allowed to give their own perspective and opinions, whether agreed upon by all or not. In my original posting, I suggested ideas for relocating to a new area, which I have had plenty of experience, sometimes completely broke, not on where to specifically live or work in Oregon. Of course I don't know the answers to those questions. I don't remember reading anywhere on city-data that people who live in different areas should not post their opinions on a board regarding a city they have never lived. You are more than welcome to post any opinions which you think could be beneficial on the Fort Worth board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon