Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 45,605 times

Advertisements

I have loved the Oregon Coast for what seems like a lifetime and think it is the most beautiful place in the country. I have vacationed in many areas and driven the coast many times but would like to hear from residents, before making such a decision.

I would sincerely like to ask where people would choose given what is important to me:

Air quality
Quality built homes due to coastal living
Quality medical care within a reasonable driving distance

We will be moving there for the scenery, the weather we love and our general love for the coast.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 PM

54 posts, read 412,980 times
Default Rent for awhile first...

Ah....yes I agree the OR Coast is beautiful. I rented for an entire year outside of Waldport and decided (IMO) that the mossy, moldy, gray, misty, windy, and sandy days drove me nuts by the sixth month. It was a valuable lesson because I almost bought a home there. I recommend calling around to the rental agencies (after the vacation season is over) and ask for a long term rental. Test drive full time living at your dream destination. I will make the Oregon Coast my vacation destination but not my home. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 28,881 times
Air quality is probably the best in the country.
Only look at homes that were built by a contractor who is well established on the coast. Builders from the valley dont really understand what materials to use (siding for instance) and the houses start to rot out within a few years.
The wind can be pretty intense. steady 50mph in the winter is normal.
Medical care? HA! its a training ground for interns. Very few established doctors around, and they will not accept new patients. I went to the ER for a herniated disc, and they told me I had a big bowel movement going on. If you are in the retirement age group, plan on many trips to the valley hospitals/clinics.
Like wohelo said, great place to visit, but not to live.
(I have been here 10 years and moving out within 6 months. "the valley" i am refering to is Salem,Albany,Corvallis, Eugene, etc...)

Old 08-19-2007, 04:47 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
Medical care would depend on which community you live in. Here in the bay area (Coos Bay/North Bend) there seems to be enough medical care to go around. There is a hospital, medical clinics,dentists,and other medical offices.

Many people choose to retire here at the coast. There are many older homes and some new ones. It's just going to depend on what you can afford and what you like. There are lots of views of the bay or the beach.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:35 PM

174 posts, read 940,762 times
Like you were told, understand the gray cloudy days persist endlessly. And the wind can rip your head off somedays. And the rain goes on and on for weeks in the winter, washing out roads that isolate communities sometimes. We lived in Coos Bay for awhile and went inland to Coquille which is a nice little town. A little sunnier, less windy and a tiny bit drier maybe. Brookings would be the sunniest place but I think the costs of housing there are insane and there isn't anything of size close by for medical services though it is a big retirement area.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,178 times
Cool Looked into Ocean Highlands??

As a former Oregonian, back in Boise for business, I plan on relocating soon to Oceanside. The new Ocean Highlands area is really nice. The homes are Centex, a Portland based company, and are in a very nice location near Tillamook, Oceanside and the Cape Meares area. Hey, it will rain a lot, but this hillside location is really neat, with walking paths, lots of woods, and partial ocean views. I'm going to make an offer soon. I hope you will take a look too. Tillamook has a decent hospital, and Seaside is just north and Lincoln City just south. Highly recommend a look. I'm not a real estate agent, just someone who has done a lot of looking at real estate all up the coast.
Good luck. Happy hunting!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 PM

14 posts, read 65,409 times
the air quality is the best, ecspecialy in the smaller towns, like Coos bay, the air is right off the ocean, and there is little to no smog, depending on the size of the town. the quality of the homes are good, but I would suggest not to buy a home on a cement slab, because the dampness of the west coast can cause mold probelems.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:39 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
If you buy a house right next to the coast, make sure it is at least 50 feet above sea level. That will protect you from all but the largest tsunamis. Some houses right on the coast also suffer from hillside/cliffside erosion. Check with the country surveyor of lands to find out if your house-to-be is located in an erosive risk zone.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 PM

32 posts, read 169,819 times
The Samaritan Health System is where you should go for good health care. There is a small building in Lincoln City and in Newport, but the MAIN location is in Corvallis. They are a top notch hospital with (don't quote me on this) a neurosurgeon on 24hrs plus LifeFlight. Samaritan Corvallis is an hour drive from Newport (actually, an hour and fifteen minutes) and most of my neighbors in Corvallis gladly made the commute.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:09 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey5309 View Post
I have loved the Oregon Coast for what seems like a lifetime and think it is the most beautiful place in the country. I have vacationed in many areas and driven the coast many times but would like to hear from residents, before making such a decision.

I would sincerely like to ask where people would choose given what is important to me:

Air quality
Quality built homes due to coastal living
Quality medical care within a reasonable driving distance

We will be moving there for the scenery, the weather we love and our general love for the coast.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you
It snows relentlessly for 7 months a year on the coast, they also have major problems with garbage washing up. Air quality is terrible, all the smog that blows in from Portland. Scropions and snakes are everywhere. Crack is a big problem here, Ok Im kidding. I agree Oregon Coast IS the most beautiful in the country. Ill go on a limb, I have been to 32 countries around the world, and I think there may not be a more lovely coast on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon