Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 PM

12 posts, read 64,065 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are hoping to relocate to Oregon sometime next year. We are Southern California natives, but the cost of living here is killing us!!!! In addition, we're looking for a slower-paced lifestyle that is conducive to raising a family.

I am part-time freelance writer and a stay-at-home mom to our 18-month old daughter. My husband is a web developer but hopes to keep his current California job and telecommute from Oregon when we move. Because both of our careers allow us to work from home, we are not looking for a city with any particular industries or job opportunities (though, perhaps some IT companies nearby would provide a nice "back up" for my husband).

Qualities of our Desired City
  • -affordable (for us, that's about $1200/mo for a 2 to 3 bedroom house or condo)
  • -safe
  • -pretty (doesn't have to be breathtakingly scenic, but needs to be clean and green... preferably with some nice walking trails or outdoor spaces)
  • -family-friendly (plenty of parks, safe places to walk, local activities and events for children, etc.)
  • -located near decent shopping; at the very least it must have a Trader Joes or the equivalent (a place where I can purchase reasonably-priced, real food); a Target is nice, though not necessary!

Other (Not As Important) Qualities
  • -My husband and I actually do like semi-rural areas! We don't want to live in a one-stoplight town, but we do enjoy having farms nearby-- or even within a reasonable driving distance
  • - I enjoy gardening (specifically growing fruits and veggies), so a climate that is garden-friendly would be nice, though not necessary
  • -nearby museums or other attractions are a plus
  • -I'm trying to prepare myself for the gray, but--hey-- I'm a Californian! Perhaps one of Oregon's sunnier cities would be a good option?

Bend and the Portland suburbs (Beaverton, etc.) top our current list of potential cities/areas. I visited Portland a few years ago and did like it-- though I do not want to live in Portland, proper; it is a bit more urban than what we are looking for. I have not visited Bend, but it seems to be a nice city.

I am open to learning more about any other Oregon city that meets my family's criteria! I'd also love to hear more about Bend and the Portland suburbs. So, Oregonians, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by wavesofgrace; 09-24-2011 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Have you taken a trip up I-5?

Medford/Ashland is California-lite, and is sunnier/warmer during the summer than Portland.

Check it out, it's a great area.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
$1200 a month most places in Oregon will get you a nice house with amenities, like pool and office space. Ashland is more expensive, but you may be willing to downsize your house in exchange for the ambience of Ashland, which really is delightful. The climate is very mediterranean, almost a perfect match for Provence in France.

You should also check out Cottage Grove and Eugene. Local trivia: the Row River in Cottage Grove is pronounced like the fight, not like boat propulsion.

The Willamette Valley, from Cottage Grove to Portland, is one of the great garden spots of the world. You can't grow frost sensitive crops like citrus and bananas, but it will grow almost any other crop in the world.

Pretty is everywhere, if you are careful where you settle.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:52 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Corvallis isn't the most affordable, but I think it meets a lot of your criteria.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
I would suggest you visit Bend if you are considering it. While Bend is beautiful, it's not "green" in the way most people picture Oregon. We are in the high desert, so it's more sagebrush, juniper and pine trees than moss, dense forest, etc. There is obviously snow in the winter, and some years there can be snow on the ground for a few weeks, but generally it melts in a few days. It does seem to fit what you are looking for, with the exception of IT jobs and gardening. If your husband is able to bring his job though, that's a great thing. Gardening, on the other hand, can be pretty difficult, especially if you live on the more desirable westside of town. I'm an avid gardener, but it requires a lot of time and work to have a productive crop. I have hoophouses that I built to keep the warmth in and extend the season so I can hopefully get some tomatoes. The one thing about Bend is the fact that we can have a frost pretty much anytime of the year. Overnight lows, even in the summer, are generally the mid-40s to mid-50s. It makes gardening a challenge!

In terms of other things on your list, Bend has decent shopping, tons of trails, lots of free festivals (especially in the summer), and somewhat affordable housing. There's a small museum south of town that has quite a bit of kid activities too. The economy is Bend has been hit hard, so unfortunately some of the things that were here (children's museum) are no longer. Bend is a good sized city, but we are surrounded by rural lands. Drive 10 minutes out of town and you are it's pretty darn rural.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
You didn't mention this, but do you need to be near a major airport? That may limit your choices somewhat.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
You didn't mention this, but do you need to be near a major airport? That may limit your choices somewhat.
Good point about the airport! I'm trying to convince my mom to retire and follow us to Oregon. If she ends up coming with us, the need for a nearby airport will not be very significant.

In regards to cities like Bend and Medford, how close are the nearest airports?

Old 09-24-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the very helpful replies!

I certainly intend to research the cities mentioned: Medford/Ashland, Eugene, and Corvallis...

And I am aware that Bend is in the high desert. If I'm honest with myself, the Bend terrain might be a bit too different/harsh for me-- but I'm willing to pay a visit. Who knows? It could be a refreshing change!

How do Medford/Ashland and Eugene compare? What unique things does each area have to offer? I really like hearing the Oregonian input... Of course, the Medford and Eugene city websites are going to portray their cities in a positive light, so it's extremely helpful to hear the local opinions!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:50 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Medford has an airport, with the following destinations:

Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Phoenix (seasonal)
Salt Lake City
Portland
Seattle/Tacoma
Denver
San Francisco

Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eugene is bigger, more of an established city than Medford, which has grown a lot over the past 20 years. Eugene is wetter, and also a college town (U of Oregon).

I would really recommend going straight up I-5, and visiting all of the cities along it, along with Corvallis, and maybe even head home down the 101, you shouldn't be disappointed with any of the trip.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 34,804 times
Bend's nearest airport is about 20 minutes north...super short drive. As far as the "beauty" of Bend, honestly, you can't beat it. If you stay on the West side you are still in the pine trees. The Deschutes River runs through town and you are a short drive from MANY lakes and trails...plus, Bend is a great place to raise a family (especially if your husband already has a job!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon