Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Having left Oregon to "make a life" that was not available to me. I do not miss the politics. When you are going against the common sense of the rest of the nation "its the principle of the matter" that counts, Logic be damned. Oregon's economy is like a slowly sinking ship. You can bail it out. But you can't seem to stop the crew from punching more holes in it. Someday in the middle of Portland there will be a statue of a guy with a fuel nozzle in his hand "Champion of the People" will be on the plaque.

Good luck, Last one out please turn out the lights.
We'll be there right after Texas (http://www.hamell.net/2011/08/why-rick-perry-would-make-a-great-president/ - broken link).

Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Most pump jockeys are really quite incompetent and untrained in emergency preparedness.

There was a well documented case that occured in California when one inattentive station attendant failed miserably while carrying out a routine gas transfer operation....

Gas Station Explosion Scene - The Birds Movie (1963) - HD - YouTube

Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Here's a challenge:
Cite just one instance of catastrophe like that happening in Oregon.
We'll wait.
And wait some more.
What?
You can't find anything?
How can that be?
With all these "minimum wage idiots" pumping our gas you would think that gas stations would be exploding all over the state!
Every day!

The above poster had to show us a MOVIE FROM 1963!
Well documented my arse. It's not even real!

This really just boils down to some people's neurotic control issues.
When they are told the can't do something, they get there hackles up and spew out all kinds of unsubstantiated nonsensical arguments about why it's so wrong that they are not getting their own way.

I fail to comprehend why having to possibly wait a couple of extra minutes to have someone else pump your gas is so terrible.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-20-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe they should install self-service kiosks in all supermarket centers and eliminate checkers altogether. Day and night. Who needs them. Who needs counter-persons at McDonald's... they just get your order wrong anyway.
That's a decision left to the business and I like it that way. Certain tasks are still left to be performed by person out of necessity, not out of regulations.

Elevators used to be operated by attendants. They still are OUT OF CHOICE at tourist spots with the attendant functioning as a guide sometimes.

I'd have issues if the state said we can't have self serve checkouts, user operated elevators or Redbox. I'm surprised Oregon didn't come up with BS that movie rentals must be staffed to ensure no under age customers receive rated R movies as a BS cause to ensure unskilled laborer jobs.

If a business wants to employ people to handle the task of what Redbox does, then more power to them. Back in the days, pump attendants were necessary unless the owner wanted to operate on a honor system, because the pump didn't have automatic shut-off, so the attendant was the gatekeeper in making sure the driver only got what he paid for.

Now much of the dispensing function has been computerized and the only reason for human intervention is because the process of inserting the fill is not robotized yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Here's a challenge:
Cite just one instance of catastrophe like that happening in Oregon.
More like, cite some data proving having pump attendants prevented enough incidents to validate state's argument based on hazardous nature of gasoline.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Quote:
More like, cite some data proving having pump attendants prevented enough incidents to validate state's argument based on hazardous nature of gasoline.
Why?
Everyone is crying about how hideously inadequate the gas pump attendants are.
Prove it.
Don't turn the argument around because you can't prove it. That's a rookie play.
Win it.

The fact that there are no cites or news stories of gas stations constantly exploding into fireballs across the state indirectly proves how safe they actually are.

I would think that someone who has the experience of pumping gas into hundreds of tanks a day is much safer than some soccer mom or eighty year old guy that does it once a month.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-20-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 11:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Why?
Everyone is crying about how hideously inadequate the gas pump attendants are.
Prove it.
Don't turn the argument around because you can't prove it. That's a rookie play.
Win it.

The fact that there are no cites or news stories of gas stations constantly exploding into fireballs across the state indirectly proves how safe they actually are.

I would think that someone who has the experience of pumping gas into hundreds of tanks a day is much safer than some soccer mom or eighty year old guy that does it once a month.
not true! it's apparent that we are creating a race of squeege-carrying zombies that will eventually have to be destroyed anyways.

Link between gasoline fumes and brain damage established in lab mice; human corollary suspected | The Northstar Journal

Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
I fail to comprehend why having to possibly wait a couple of extra minutes to have someone else pump your gas is so terrible.
I fail to comprehend why having to possibly wait a couple of extra minutes to have someone else pump your gas is so important,valuable to society or necessary.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
This thread cracks me up... I've got a friend who's lived his whole life in Oregon, real smart capable guy who owns his own landscaping business, real good with fixing things--yet whenever we drive to Washington he doesn't want to try work the damn gas pump. "Can you fill the tank man? Those things are so confusing..."

It's not that hard--48 other states seem to manage with no problems and even stoned teenagers can figure it out how to fill a tank. But we're not paying anymore for gas in Oregon, so who really cares? It's just one of those weird only-in-Oregon things that you're expected to accept unconditionally if you decide to stay in the state. It's sort of like the US not using the metric system unlike every other nation on Earth at this point in time. Don't question it though--ever.

On the bright side, the self-service ban does provide plenty of employment---to the hardworking Mexican immigrants(all legal of course!) who staff the gas pumps in my neighborhood. "Lleno por favor..."

Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 PM

286 posts, read 521,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I fail to comprehend why having to possibly wait a couple of extra minutes to have someone else pump your gas is so important,valuable to society or necessary.
Post number 9 by hamellr addressed this;
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
And yet it created 8,00 jobs in the matter of six months. Gas prices didn't go up drastically (in fact at all,) as was claimed by those against the law. Right now it's estimated that 7,600 people work as Pump Attendants across the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
All repealing this law would do would increase the number of people on welfare, and the number of homeless on the streets.

BTW - the law was enacted in 1955 and has survived four separate ballot measure attempts to have it repealed.

If you don't like the law you have three choices, get a motorcycle, create your own company and go to the card-loc places, or have your own gas pump installed at your home.
I’m curious, if the law was repealed creating 7,600 more unemployed, would you blame them like Herman Cain does?!?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Yes - I would. This is not valuable work.
Give me a break.

You might as well ask if the hobo standing at my intersection holding a sign asking for money is working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon