Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM

284 posts, read 498,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Portland (and suburbs), Bend, Eugene, LaGrande all have public transportation. The smaller cities may have some, but it'll be limited. For instance Roseburg has a public bus, but it's part of the entire County and not just the city.
I'll turn my sights to Bend and the bigger cities then. I'm going to avoid Portland for the while because I just don't think I'll be a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
Often you can find a place to live within walking distance of your place of employment. Another option would be to find accommodations with a safe bike route to work.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:37 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
For bus service, Corvallis is pretty nice. The buses go just about everywhere and they're free to ride (sort of - everyone has to pay for bus service on their water bill). I think the Linn-Benton loop still costs money though.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
For bus service, Corvallis is pretty nice. The buses go just about everywhere and they're free to ride (sort of - everyone has to pay for bus service on their water bill). I think the Linn-Benton loop still costs money though.
Sweet. I'll keep that in mind.

Now I'm bouncing back and forth between renting a van and bringing my (very few) belongings with me or leaving them here with a friend and taking a bus then sending for them when I settle in. Either way would probably cost about the same...

Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
Sweet. I'll keep that in mind.

Now I'm bouncing back and forth between renting a van and bringing my (very few) belongings with me or leaving them here with a friend and taking a bus then sending for them when I settle in. Either way would probably cost about the same...
Salem, Corvallis, Eugene all have bus service. Corvallis and Eugene's service is better than Salem's as they have the large universities there. I assume Bend has bus service but I don't know how good it is.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Salem, Corvallis, Eugene all have bus service. Corvallis and Eugene's service is better than Salem's as they have the large universities there. I assume Bend has bus service but I don't know how good it is.
Bend does have a bus service. I looked it up. Whether it's good or not... I dunno. There's a community college out there too.

I'm leaning towards Salem or Eugene, possibly Bend. I saw on a different thread that it might be difficult to get a rental in Corvallis because of the glut of university students?

I have a couple of things to do on this end before I can send out applications. But they will go out by the end of this week, and we'll see who bites.

I'm pretty stoked about heading back home. I've missed the PNW.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Bend does have a bus service. I looked it up. Whether it's good or not... I dunno. There's a community college out there too.

I'm leaning towards Salem or Eugene, possibly Bend. I saw on a different thread that it might be difficult to get a rental in Corvallis because of the glut of university students?

I have a couple of things to do on this end before I can send out applications. But they will go out by the end of this week, and we'll see who bites.

I'm pretty stoked about heading back home. I've missed the PNW.

The Corvallis rental market is very tight as the University has record enrollments. When people can't get jobs they go back to school. I know Willamette has been bulging with students here in Salem and they are a small, expensive, private school.

Salem is easily the most affordable of those three cities. Chemeketa Community College is in east Salem and there are apartments right across the street from it. The strip where CCC is in Salem (Lancaster) is just crazy ugly. Salem has beautiful areas of the city and Lancaster is not one of them. Ugly but cheap. There is a lot within walking distance of CCC.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Salem is easily the most affordable of those three cities. Chemeketa Community College is in east Salem and there are apartments right across the street from it. The strip where CCC is in Salem (Lancaster) is just crazy ugly. Salem has beautiful areas of the city and Lancaster is not one of them. Ugly but cheap. There is a lot within walking distance of CCC.
Ugly I can handle as long as it's safe. I'm tired of living in unsafe neighborhoods. In Virginia, I had to resort to the not-so-great parts of town for affordable living and I got heartily tired of hearing gunshots and sirens. One good thing about small town living is that I haven't had to put up with that nonsense for a long time.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Ugly I can handle as long as it's safe. I'm tired of living in unsafe neighborhoods. In Virginia, I had to resort to the not-so-great parts of town for affordable living and I got heartily tired of hearing gunshots and sirens. One good thing about small town living is that I haven't had to put up with that nonsense for a long time.

Safe is subjective. I'd feel totally safe in that area. You can go to crimereports.com and the Salem PD puts all of our crime stats on there. I think you will see mostly theft around the campus. Most of our assault/gang activity is on the east side but farther south towards McKay High School.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,612,650 times
Linn Benton CC is actually located in South Albany, so Albany is another city you should consider. I think it's about 45-50K population, relatively affordable, and probably doesn't have the rental occupancy issues that Corvallis has. Not sure if there's bus service there, though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon