Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM

12 posts, read 20,436 times

Advertisements

We just got back from our 2nd trip to Oregon and LOVE IT! What a beautiful state. We are strongly considering a move to Silverton or Grants Pass FROM Houston TX. We know they are vastly different when it comes to size, cilmate, terrain etc but love them both. I need some feedback...Grants Pass seems like a great fit for us but I am wondering about the distance to a major airport as in getting their from Houston (where ALL our family is). Although the drive is AmaZinG from Grants Pass to Eugene (where I hear the airport is growing) its still several hours away. Thoughts on this???

Also We really like Silverton and would like some honest feedback as to life their.

We are in our 30's and have 2 small children, christian, homeschoolers, single income.

I am wondering also if I will feel cooped up either place. We really like to explore and enjoy the outdoors. We don't mind the weather..makes everything green...but sun if even for a few hours a day or a couple times a week is nice.

JUST OVERALL FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I don't think there is a direct flight to Houston out of Medford or Eugene (1-2 stops out of various hubs). There are direct - and much cheaper - flights out of Portland. Flights tend to be much cheaper out of Portland than the connections out of smaller airports (because you are paying for an extra, low-profit segment). You can use one of the trip sites to check a variety of fares and times out of various airports to compare the costs.

Given the state of the economy and the general profit margins of the airlines, I'd expect to see regional airports cut back on services/flights in the next few years. I'm not familiar with the Eugene airport, but my local airport has dropped down to 2 San Francisco flights and 1 Portland flight per day. While I'd like to support the airport, the added cost and the incredible inconvenience (we just had an 8 hour layover in SFO for a flight back from London) make me less likely to use it in future, which makes the flights even less profitable: your basic economic death spiral.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I don't think there is a direct flight to Houston out of Medford or Eugene (1-2 stops out of various hubs). There are direct - and much cheaper - flights out of Portland. Flights tend to be much cheaper out of Portland than the connections out of smaller airports (because you are paying for an extra, low-profit segment). You can use one of the trip sites to check a variety of fares and times out of various airports to compare the costs.

Given the state of the economy and the general profit margins of the airlines, I'd expect to see regional airports cut back on services/flights in the next few years. I'm not familiar with the Eugene airport, but my local airport has dropped down to 2 San Francisco flights and 1 Portland flight per day. While I'd like to support the airport, the added cost and the incredible inconvenience (we just had an 8 hour layover in SFO for a flight back from London) make me less likely to use it in future, which makes the flights even less profitable: your basic economic death spiral.

If airport access is important it would have to be Silverton. Delta pulled out of Salem about a year ago much to my dismay as it flew to Salt Lake and you could get anywhere. I agree that the smaller airports are downsizing and losing flights. I wouldn't count on Eugene's flights as part of a move. PDX is of course a safe bet.

I think you'd fit in either city. Silverton is only 9,000 people to Grants Pass' 35,000. So keep that in mind. Grants Pass will just have more to offer city wise as it is just larger. Silverton has Salem 20 minutes away though for easy access to lots of things. Silverton is a great small town. It is rare to have someone move there and not like it, but it is small town America. I think for a small town, Silverton has a lot going on.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 AM

899 posts, read 2,942,532 times
On direct flights, silverton is about an hour or a bit more from Portland Int and that too from Eugene but most flights east go threw Salt Lake City or Denver depending on the airline.
Go on line and check the airports out..
I for one like silverton and there is no reason to feel couped up here in the winter..Sure we have messy days that its easier to stay inside but so does every part of the country..There is a large home school community up here too..We just had about 500 homeschoolers and their parents at Oregon Gardens for Home School day..Its a day devoted to learning in garden and a ton of fun for those of us who volunteer at it..The kids and their families had a grand time too..Lots of laughter and squeels..
Well this is my 2 cents worth..
Good day to all

Old 10-23-2011, 06:38 PM

16 posts, read 30,029 times
Grants Pass is only 30 minutes from Medford Jackson County International Airport, which is the 2nd largest airport in Oregon. It was also just remodeled last year. It has direct flights to Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City and Denver. To get to Houston, you would have to connect, (probably through San Francisco) flights are fairly reasonable in cost. I live in Grants Pass and I think that it is a better city than Silverton. There is less rain down in Southern Oregon than there is in the Willamette Valley. Grants Pass is VERY much an outdoors city, we have the Rogue River, which is great for fishing and rafting. The Cathedral Hills Trail System for hiking and mountain biking. Also Josephine County has LOTS of places to camp. We have fairly long summers, 3-4 months. Normal Temp in the summer is 80-95 degrees with a week of 100+ weather. Winters get pretty rainy, but we don`t see snow on the valley floor very often. Hope this helps you in your decision!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about GP!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 PM

16 posts, read 30,029 times
Also: If you ever decide to put your children in public schools, MAKE SURE that you are in the Grants Pass School District #7, NOT Three Rivers School District. GPSD #7 is sooo much better than three rivers.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:40 PM

54 posts, read 293,902 times
hbtxgal
In your search for the right place to move, I vote for Grants Pass. It has somewhat better climate than what you'll find further north (Silverton) and the District #7 schools in GP have a very good reputation. Grants Pass has a lot to offer. Take a good look at it.
If you aren't near Portland, then you'll be dealing with a connector airport for flights out of the state. I have used the Medford airport and find it one of the better connector airports.
Good luck on your search,
minorbrew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon