Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,754,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Don't bad mouth the retirees, who are the only people in Oregon with a guaranteed income. If it weren't for the retirement community, Roseburg would be dead.

Unfortunately, a percentage of the retirees are urban expats with a box full of money and a truck full of stupid. A bunch of them built multi-storey McMansions, and came to the belated realization that they are too old to climb stairs. They can't sell the place in the current market, so they remodel the den into a bedroom and live on one floor, never seeing the rest of their house.

I don't have any more against the Subarus than I have against all the 4WD cars and pickups on the road. Where do those people think they are going? I just buy a spare set of rims with good winter tires. I put them on in November and swap them out in March.
Hey, that post was an equal opportunity slam. Nothing against retirees, in moderation, I like them much better than some of the other species of miscreants we attract. If someone wants to start a thread about the upside of living in Oregon, I'll gladly look on the sunny side. Just following orders...

I cannot agree on the Subarus...a plague, and abomination, a malodorous scourge on the land..... and...... I really want one!!!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Don't bad mouth the retirees, who are the only people in Oregon with a guaranteed income. If it weren't for the retirement community, Roseburg would be dead.

Unfortunately, a percentage of the retirees are urban expats with a box full of money and a truck full of stupid. A bunch of them built multi-storey McMansions, and came to the belated realization that they are too old to climb stairs. They can't sell the place in the current market, so they remodel the den into a bedroom and live on one floor, never seeing the rest of their house.

I don't have any more against the Subarus than I have against all the 4WD cars and pickups on the road. Where do those people think they are going? I just buy a spare set of rims with good winter tires. I put them on in November and swap them out in March.
I am a retiree but I can't afford a McMansion let alone a truck full of stupid.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 PM

478 posts, read 784,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Hey, that post was an equal opportunity slam. Nothing against retirees, in moderation, I like them much better than some of the other species of miscreants we attract. If someone wants to start a thread about the upside of living in Oregon, I'll gladly look on the sunny side. Just following orders...

I cannot agree on the Subarus...a plague, and abomination, a malodorous scourge on the land..... and...... I really want one!!!!!

Love your humor

Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

Subaru is an excellent car. Great for backwoods driving in the Snowbelt. A highly regional vehicle, though

Old 06-09-2011, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,564 times
Default EX-Convict??

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
I hate having to wait for some ex-convict to finish his cigarette before he starts pumping my gas. Yes, sometimes its nice to not have to get out of the car, when you are in a hurry it is rather cumbersome when you could just get it done yourself in .25 of the time.

Just yesterday, we were at Chevron, and the attendant said it would be a 10 minute wait for gas because they had to change shifts on the computer. Ridiculous.
EX-Convict?? Really? So sorry if your used to pumping your own gas but deal with it. Also theres lots of jobs for gas attendents..and jobs is a good thing..I had a job pumping gas before now i am a ast. manager for a big company..and guess what..im not a convict either..so deal with it and dont complain about people who actually have to work..if you were in that big of a hurry you probably gone to another station.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM

218 posts, read 376,531 times
Default I'm moving to Oregon as well

Hey everyone! I didn't know if anyone still posts or even reads on this Blog but I figured what the heck right? I am orignally from California as well ( Southern) my whole life till I was 18, moved to Arizona, went back to california then back to Arizona in 2007. I have 2 kids under 10 and I am happily married, have my Bachelors in Business Admin. My husband and I really want to relocate to Oregon since I personally have friends there who keep telling me how wonderful it is with their kids there and the quality of life. I am going to visit in September and see if I fall in love haha. We wont be moving till June/July next year after I am done with my school. Every day I find things to read about Oregon, places to go, places not to go. I just love reading about it. I know this orginal post was before the big dip in the economy and when housing was HUGE and exspensive. I am looking on other cites for Apartments, housing, rentals ect and in Salem and surrounding areas the prices are fairly resonable for now right? hahah. I can't find much on the schools for my kids and if public or private or charter is a better option. I have found a few schools that are highly rated but thats by reviews not by educators. All the info is greatly appreciated. Have a great day.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,754,711 times
Hi Az,

I would do a search or post a new thread to get info on what you want to know. Your post is way down in a "what's the downside" thread that will probably not get much exposure, nor fully answer your questions.

FH

Old 10-24-2011, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,463 times
LOL Good LONG thread. So yeah, I'm looking to move to Oregon area for health reasons. I was looking online using terms "Fall in Oregon" and came across some great pictures. Can anyone shed some light/experience on some decent places to live in which we can enjoy fall folliage every year?

I was born in Oregon but parents moved to East coast when I was a baby. Bummer

Criteria isn't all that stringent except of course the usual low crime.

Could care less about politics
Children are grown so "good schools" isn't an issue
Fall Folliage
Cold weather (for my health problem)
3/2 house less than 300k or so? Is that even possible? Or rental less than 1100/month

Thank you very much. If I've hijacked this thread, can mods put this in a new thread?

I look forward to getting to know you.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,135 times
Oregon seems to sound like a lot of places

so what is specifically good / bad about Oregon ?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,135 times
McMansions are everywhere (as is the accompanying bad taste).

I plan to escape Planet of the McMansions ... and Oregon appears to beckon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon