Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM

37 posts, read 433,411 times

Advertisements

Doesn't seem to be too much on the downside from what I hear...maybe lack of jobs? And too much rain for those who don't like rain...a little traffic in Portland at the usual traffic times. Anything else that really bugs you or others about life in OR?

Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Oregon has mediocre public schools and an abysmally poor state system of higher education.

Police presence is nonexistent in many areas, the jails are revolving doors, and many crimes, like car theft, are never even investigated in the larger cities.

The large population centers rule the political process. Rural areas of the state are required to follow environmental laws, but cities are exempt. For instance, I can't do anything within 100 feet of the stream that runs through my property, but cities build streets and parking lots right up to the stream bank, and sometimes just install concrete culverts and pave them over. They want pristine waters, but dump their sewage into the river. I would love to see a law mandating that cities draw their drinking water downstream from their sewage outfall. You would see them get real serious about treating sewage!

Another thing that bugs me is the number of people building McMansions that don't have a clue how to spend money. They buy a catalog house plan and bulldoze a site flat on a hillside, no matter how unsuitable the site is to that house plan. People sit in their breakfast dining room, and stare out the windows at a cut bank. It's just tasteless and stupid. It's like Frank Lloyd Wright never lived. If I had $500,000 to spend, I sure wouldn't spend it on a cookie cutter pile of crap.

That's a few things to start. There are more.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
Democrat Governor and state goverment leadership if you are a Republican

Environmentalists if you are in the logging industry

Maybe, just maybe.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 PM

101 posts, read 608,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Democrat Governor and state goverment leadership if you are a Republican

Environmentalists if you are in the logging industry

Maybe, just maybe.
Sounds like positives to me.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 AM

37 posts, read 433,411 times
So, the colleges in OR are not impressive?

Old 08-24-2007, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 124,882 times
Oregon is a great state and I love living here. The coast line is an especially nice place to live. That said, jobs are hard to find especially here on the coast. I agree with Larry Caldwell about the "McMansions" popping up everywhere. I am not against people from Ca. or Nevada moving into the state but it seems that they bring in a ton of cash, buy up property and double the price in hopes of making a quick buck. This has caused the price of property to go through the roof making it impossible for average Joe's to purchase a home where they have lived and worked for years. Add that to the fact that the influxes of Californian’s and groups of extreme far left believers have instituted laws that are destroying the fishing and logging industry. Fishermen and loggers on the coast can no longer make a living and our small coastal communities are drying up. Now don't get me wrong, I am a conservationist. I believe we should protect our resources and not fish or log until there is nothing left, but the laws we have now go overboard. If you want to live on the Oregon coast you must either bring a job with you or be independently wealthy.
With all of that said, there is nothing like waking up in the morning and going for a walk on one of the many great Oregon beaches. I think Oregon has the best coast line in the U.S. and I have traveled up and down the East Coast, West Coast and Gulf Coast. The rocks and cliffs here are a sight to see.
-Fat Eddy

Old 08-24-2007, 11:49 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,635 times
Downsides? Too many folks from California moving in??

Old 08-24-2007, 11:57 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,483 times
Street people/panhandlers on the corners.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
So, the colleges in OR are not impressive?
I believe Larry is only referring to public universities. UO, OSU, PSU, OHSU and OIT have great reputations, but the public university system suffers from chronic underfunding. Researchers and professors have to secure funding via grants from the federal government or from endowments or foundations, and part of the grant money is earmarked for the university as kind of "overhead" so that the professor can have an office and help pay for department staff. Even with funding problems, the universities are top-notch in some subjects.

I don't know as much about the other public universities (SOU, WOU, EOU), but I have a relative who teaches at one of them and she is grossly underpaid.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
There is definitely an attitude in Oregon, and I guess the way to explain it is that other states have similar attitudes - anywhere in which you can buy one of those bumperstickers that say "Native" and have some state-specific phrase or image on them.

California, Colorado, Texas, Washington, Oregon all have that somewhat irritating pride-of-place that often pushes over into an arrogance. I like living here, but I don't think it confers some special grace on me. I love Portland, but I'm not blind to its faults - I just think the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon