Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:15 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Temperature is the only thing that affects freezing; wind chill only affects how the air feels.
I stand corrected It still feels cold I'm probably thinking of our 22 degree weather that feels likes its 12...LOL Brrrrrrr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Temperature is the only thing that affects freezing; wind chill only affects how the air feels.
Wind chill also increases the exothermic transfer rate causing water to freeze faster.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
A relative of mine recently moved to 'The Virgin Islands', due to health reasons. Said the temps are usually in the 80's.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
A relative of mine recently moved to 'The Virgin Islands', due to health reasons. Said the temps are usually in the 80's.

Sounds lovely...except for the potential of hurricanes. After being through my first and biggest Tornado that is possible...I'd prefer to not knowingly go into a hurricane area. I realize that all coastal areas are at risk but at least I know I can go inland. It is hard to run away on an island....LOL!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 PM

14 posts, read 73,122 times
I have lived in Astoria for 3+ years now and it usually freezes one or two times per year. They are out there with the salt trucks right away and most people have studded tires or chains. Me? I just stay put on those few icy days/year.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,397 times
To answer the original question? If you want to stick with the coast... I chose Rockaway Beach, but that may be a bit small for your tastes. Seaside has a hospital and clinics, as does Tillamook. Tillamook is about an hour south of Astoria.

As for the freezing thing, I can see how ice/rime/freezing-rain would be a thing, especially since it's at the mouth of the Columbia (and the gorge). Also, average temps don't account for spikes and one-offs that occasionally comes along.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,475 times
I lived in Astoria for 5 years (I live in Corvallis now), all I can say is you had better be prepared for lots of rain and cool temperatures pretty much year around. The chamber of commerce gives an annual rainfall figure of 78" per year but during the time I lived there it never rained less than 100".

It's a nice old town, and it's kicked back but it's also a long ways to anywhere. Just sayin' - be prepared.

Not for nothing is it roughly the same population today as it was 100 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon