Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 PM

107 posts, read 721,024 times

Advertisements

When someone expounds on a public forum unsubstantiated perceptions such as those above, someone just might be coming off as partisan, an apologist, an ethnic separatist, or even perhaps naive. For instance, the U.S. census categorizes the demographic of religion in California as 79% Christian, of which only 25% is Catholic.

Go to this history of THIS country, and reflect how having foreigners taxing us and demanding we support a foreign country was met in 1776. Basically, we founded a wonderful country, the United States of America. Posters on these forums, for every state, decry having all aspects of our country forced to conform to those of Mexico. Do you really think the people of Oregon want to change into that?

Old 09-17-2006, 12:38 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
When someone expounds on a public forum unsubstantiated perceptions such as those above, someone just might be coming off as partisan, an apologist, an ethnic separatist, or even perhaps naive. For instance, the U.S. census categorizes the demographic of religion in California as 79% Christian, of which only 25% is Catholic.

Go to this history of THIS country, and reflect how having foreigners taxing us and demanding we support a foreign country was met in 1776. Basically, we founded a wonderful country, the United States of America. Posters on these forums, for every state, decry having all aspects of our country forced to conform to those of Mexico. Do you really think the people of Oregon want to change into that?
You made the mistake of separating Catholics from other Chrisitans. Here's the census demographics for the entire US :

2000 Cencus:
All Christian Demoniations in U.S.: 79.8%
Catholic : 25.9%
Baptist : 17.2%
Methodist : 7.2%
Christian - no denomination reported : 7.2%
Lutheran : 4.9%
Presbyterian : 2.8%
Protestant - no denomination reported :1 2.4%
Pentecostal/Charismatic : 2.2%
Episcopalian/Anglican : 1.8%
Mormon/Latter Day Saints : 1.4%
Churches of Christ : 1.3%
Congregational/United Church of Christ : 0.7%
Jehovah's Witnesses : 0.7%
Assemblies of God : 0.6%
Evangelical : 0.5%
Church of God : 0.5%
Seventh Day Adventist : 0.4%
Eastern Orthodox : 0.3%
Other Christian (less than 0.3% each) : 1.9%
Total other religions : 5.2%
Jewish : 1.4%
Non-denominational : 1.3%
Muslim : 0.6%
Buddhist : 0.5%
Hindu : 0.4%
Unitarian Universalist : 0.3%
Others (less than 0.07% each) : 0.7%
No Religion/Atheist/Agnostic : 8.4%

"Religious bodies in Los Angeles Co. . . the most diverse number in the U.S. . . . among Christians, 71% are Catholics" [http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/c...lacounty.html].

Check out another USC study on number of religions in California; Roman Catholics over 50% of every county and over 60% of total population in every county in Southern California : [http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/demographics/]

" . . . historical importance of Roman Catholicism in California" [http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Americas/United-States-RELIGIONS.html] (broken link).

Suggest you do some reading before posting, Perdu. Otherwise your opinion is based on notions rather than facts; hurts your credibility.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:09 AM

107 posts, read 721,024 times
Welll you came out swinging (a baseball analogy, not an insult, I don't do "flame") from Los Angeles. Tell us, why do you think the people of Oregon should transmogrify into a replica of another country? The original poster had tired of the Mexican way of life, of which I assume she meant cultural assumptions, interpretation of laws and insistance upon a foreign language for all aspects of life, forcibly being imposed upon her in California. She was hoping Grant's Pass would not mimic this. Please write in terms of the present day, as that's what relocation is all about.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 PM

7 posts, read 46,169 times
Wink Minimum wage

Well,the minimum wage here in Monterey County and Salinas is $7.50 and the cost of living is 45% more than that of Grants PAss and it's surrounding areas! Plus you do have a much nicer outdoor type scenery than Salinas. There is NOTHING pretty about Salinas,too industrial,has nice houses in spots but becoming too crime ridden in many areas. We have 30 gangs in Monteey county. The local FOX network channel (KCBA) produced a special based onthe gang problem here called "The gangs of paradise". OF course,it focused on the Norteno and Sueno gangs here. I'd rather deal with hicks and a couple shootings a year than gang bangers,nightly drive by's and rude people every other day . Gang problems aren't that evident in my area,but a few incidents have happened. We have had a few home invasions a block or two from my home over the last few years. They are slowly moving into houses for rent here. When I was up in Oregon three weeks ago,my dad told me the neighbor across the street was surrounded by 5 police cars and a CHP officer. They made him put his hands up in the air and was arrested for something. We have had problems with this guy being too loud with parties and supposetly gang members coming by who were probably freinds of his. I'm just tired of it! At least Grants Pass doesn't have the AG and hopefully won't get one of those Day labor centers where illegals hang out to be hired,that's where the problems start. Gangs like to steal from those guys. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:20 AM

61 posts, read 275,750 times
Yikes! Well, I don't think anybody wants crime to be prevalent where they live, but what's it to you if somebody's culture, language, or ethnic background is different from yours? I don't care if people decide to speak spanish to each other, just like I don't I flip out when Deaf people sign to each other, or when people join Civil War reenactment societies, or go to Oktoberfest. Live and let live. I think it's pretty thick-headed to single out the ethnic group as the problem *of itself*, as that's never the real issue. Complaining about latinos increasing, making it "into Mexico", is parallel to complaining about black people moving into your area and "turning it into Africa".

- Chris

Old 09-19-2006, 09:43 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
This is, even for rhetoric's sake, an unfair statement to African-Americans, who are law-abiding American citizens, aren't xenophobic, and aren't trying to change every sign, correspondence, written and spoken word into the language of another country. When Oregon citizens find every billboard changed into the language of another country with no English alongside as has happened where I live, perhaps these statements will have resonance.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
Default Your into the wrong things..

Hola Idiota,
You are not welcomed up north or in California, you should not even be into 50's stuff. You are a ignorant ass munch and I hope I never see you at any Rockabilly shows. You Suck *****!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 04:25 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretschnbend View Post
Hola Idiota,
You are not welcomed up north or in California, you should not even be into 50's stuff. You are a ignorant ass munch and I hope I never see you at any Rockabilly shows. You Suck *****!!!
This is representative of the kind of behavior you will find among a small group of Oregon youth. Proper behavior and common sense comes hard to those that did not finish their education. I had an Oregon teacher once say, “you can keep your mouth shut and have people wonder what type of person you are or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.” Interestingly, I have not seen this kind of behavior in California. Having said all this, there are more nice people in Oregon than any other state.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:43 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
Personally, I work with kids, and have met kids/teens from all over America, and I have run into a few (FEW) with an attitude like that, but first off, the such described attitude is not something you see from only kids from/in Oregon, but from all over, including ones from California. Thank you for the last line you wrote, but I must say, I was offended on behalf of our youth with your first line. You made it seem as though an attitude like that is something youre only going to see from our kids here in Oregon, and not any other state. Teens attitudes/beliefs/values/etc. all over the country, and world for that matter, are going to vary. Youre going to have each end of the spectrum no matter where you live.
- I do have to say, I personally have no problem with anyones personal beliefs/culture/religion/etc. as long as they are not forcing it on anyone else. I do think if youre in America, you should be making every effort to speak English when out and about. I was a bit upset when my daughter came home from school and said it was Mexican heritage week and they were studing all about Mexico in school, food tasting/costumes/coloring flags/etc, and yet when she asked if there was going to be Japanese week, or American Indian week she was told no, they dont do it for any other culture but Mexican. That bothers me. Greatly.
As for gangs, we DO have them here. They arent as much of a problem as I hear they are in California, but there are gang related crimes including murder. Oregon isnt immune to it just as every other state isnt.
Oregon is a wonderful place to live, with breathtaking scenery (that we pay for with lots of rain) gracious people (mostly) and a fairly laidback way of life. We do have our problems here, just like everyone else, as wonderful as I feel my homestate is, its not a trouble free paradise. Just come here with your eyes open.
Good luck,
Tiffany

Old 09-20-2006, 12:16 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
I wanted to clear something up real quick after re-reading my post. - I do NOT have a problem in the fact that the schools have Mexican Heritage week, my problem is that its ONLY Mexican Heritage week, not any other culture. Personally, I think it would be grand to have Heritage week for each and every culture there is. With as many different backgrounds there are in America, I think it would be great to teach our kids something about all of them. Heck, my kids have a strong Finnish background, but know nothing about Finland or Finnish way of life other than what we as a family teach them at home. Whens Finnish Week at school? Summing it up, why have Mexican Heritage week at school, but none other? Isnt everyones heritage equally important? Thats my bother. -
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon