U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 26,108 times

Advertisements

I've been reading many of the threads on City Data and the information is really helpful. But, I've yet to find much information on lakes in Oregon. My husband and I are looking into the Willamette Valley as a retirement location for several reasons -- Climate being a big one, and while my husband will be retired, I will need to work for a few more years and I think finding employment will be easier in the Valley. But we enjoy watersports -- namely boating and fishing. My husband prefers lakes over rivers, and we know there are some lakes in the Wilamette Valley. I'd like any information on those lakes you can contribute, including whether there are communities or housing developments on them.

Thanks for your help!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 19,339 times
Most of Oregon's lakes are in high Cascades and on the coast. It's not like the midwest -- Michigan or Minnesota -- with lots of heavily developed lakes packed around the borders with summer homes.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:43 PM

1,457 posts, read 5,727,716 times
Some parts of the Columbia River and Willamette are wide enough that they feel like being on a lake.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 AM

2,091 posts, read 8,697,543 times
isnt there a upscale housing development just out of Oregon City that built around a lake? I think I remember driving past it ( not through, its a gated community) and gasping at the houses surrounding this lake. I think they were all on like about an acre each......bit out of my price range!
Hag Lake out of Forest Grove has some nearby houses. I dont believe any are within walking distance of the lake itself, last time I was there, you couldnt even see any houses from the road around the lake at all. Doubt thats changed.
Im rackin my brain, but I think I have to agree with Cacarr, youd have to head to the coast or cascades. I know down my way, theres several homes along the lakes, in fact, several homes ON the lake (ya, houseboats) we looked at one that was a 3bdrm floating house, but figured w/3 kids, not a great idea. Its still up for sale though. Good price too! Under 150.000! But theres houses along/on Lakeside, Siltcoos (my inlaws own a house and a resort on that lake. ) Triangle, Loon, and several others.
Mdvaden has a good point too, might look into that!
best of luck!
Tiffany

Old 08-29-2007, 11:39 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,338,045 times
There really aren't many large boating lakes within the Willamette Valley.

Fern Ridge Reservoir just west of Eugene is a nice large boating lake. I know there are communities near the lake, but I think the Army Corps of Engineers (or some other gov't agency) owns the land around the lake so I don't believe there are any developments on the lake.

As for other boating lakes in the Valley, I can't think of any. There are some oxbows adjacent to the larger rivers, but I would call those ponds, not lakes.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM

Thanks for all the info. We'll be in the area in a couple of weeks to look around. We're really excited about this trip. My husband I think would really like to be on the coast, but from all the information I've read I'm concerned about finding employment. Oh well, we'll see. Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 47,393 times
Hi Garkat,

You might want to get a Thomas Bros. Map - Pacific Northwest. You can reach them at Rand McNally - Maps, Driving Directions, Travel Store or 1-800-899-6277. It is a very detailed book of maps and will show every lake, highway and road, national park, and recreation area. We have lived here for years and would hate to be without it. Then you can see where all the lakes are and fine your way around in any town. Costco had them and might still. They will run just below $20 at Costco and propbably $25 from other sources.

Many of the Oregon Lakes are in the Cascade Mountains that rise east from the Willamette Valley. Hagg Lake is SW of Forest Grove. There are homes all around it, but not right on the water. That is all "public" land, nice little parks. Then there is Foster Lake and Green Peter Lake outside of Sweet Home, a small town of about 9,000 with growth scheduled to come. SH is about 25-30 miles from Eugene. Good Fishing on both lakes and there are homes right close to Foster lake and pretty affordable by comparison to Portland area. Homes along the Willamette River are pretty spendy.

Priced between the W. River homes and SH are the areas around Fern Ridge Lake at Veneta, just west of Eugene. Then, south and east of Eugene there are Fall Creek Lake and Lookout Point Reservoir.

51 miles out of Hillsboro and 17 miles beyond Vernonia, there is Fishhawk Lake. A manmade lake with dozens of houses right on the lake. homesites are about 10,000 square feet and no fences are allowed (so anyone can walk along the lake edge). There are probably about 80-120 homes in that area. If you choose to buy there you will have an HOA fee just over $1,000 a year, but I THINK that includes sewer and maybe water. Pretty affordable. I think the C.O.P for Forest Grove lives there and commutes. Very pretty place, but the lake is small. NO power boats allowed. Paddle boats abound and there is a group there who celebrate extensively for Elvis's birthday, every year and fourth of July parade, on the lake.

Most other lakes are far from the metropolitan areas.

Get the map. You will be so glad you did. Then, also check out each place on google earth satellite views.

Hope you find something you love.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Thanks Lady Joyce. I'll have to get the book. You've given me some great information! Thank you!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM

8 posts, read 47,393 times
Hello again Garkat,

Someone mentioned the upscale lake in the portland area. It is called Lake Oswego and is a tiny town of total upscaleness. Lots of stately old homes around ithe lake, mostly on good sized lots. Nice restaurants and some stores. The older part of the town, not on the lake has some more affordable homes and they are within walking distance of the lake, shops and library.

A little known fact about Lake Oswego is that, many, many years ago,before all the spendy homes were built around it, it was called Sucker Lake. Probably no one really wants to remember that. The oft repeated joke is that when you dial 911 (the emergency number) Nordstrom answers (the upscale service oriented clothing store).

Have fun searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon