U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,426 times

Advertisements

My husband had a back surgery in 2001 at Legacy Emanuel Bloodless surgery Clinic. He woke up 3 times during the surgery. The Neurosurgeon who was to perform the surgery said it was going to be a 12 hour surgery. 6.5 hrs into the surgery they came and got me and the children and told us there were "complications" we all thought he died... my husband has been in horrific pain all these years...now 2012! The assistant did ALL the talking and the surgeon stood quietly behind him. They were worried my husband had a blood clot in his leg. And then joked about him cussing them out while screaming at them to stop cutting on him he can feel it. After the surgery the surgeon retired and I just found out he died in 2008.He was an affiliate of this hospital for 50 years. All I know is that the Assistants first name was Scott. The surgeon was a teaching neurosurgeon for all the hospitals in Portland. The doctor led us to believe
that the pain would diminish in 18-24 months. Never did, actually it got worse over the years. Pain management was all we could seek after the surgery. The surgeon would not release my husband to go back to work, said his career was over in 2002. We filed for SSD/SSI and the surgeon refuse to back his case for disability. We never knew why. In Oct 2008 we moved from the coast and found a new doctor in Grants Pass. In Nov 2011 x-rays were taken and showed no spinal fusion, no metal rods and a shriveled piece of disc still in L4-L5. But he has a 6-8 inch scar to prove that was something done. We managed to get the operation notes and everything in it was vague, not definitive at all! Never mentioned the complications that we were told happened other than L1L2L3L4L5 had a little bit of this and that shaved off. We only knew that L4-L5 was to be fused, and L5 fused to S1, nothing more. The new ortho-surgeon is so puzzled that he has ordered mri/ct scan, just so he can see what damage was done. If anyone has experienced anything like this, can you please help me understand what went wrong? We never signed any paperwork for any other resident or doctor to perform the surgery but the surgeon. So that's why were wondering if a "ghost surgery" took place! I know we can't sue a "dead man" but if the hospital hid this all these years I must know how to find out! Help if you can
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM

10,830 posts, read 18,603,072 times
You need to find an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice asap before the statute of limitations becomes an issue.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:16 PM

14,930 posts, read 36,654,740 times
At teaching hospitals you don't have to agree to let an intern/resident do the work. I would reread your admissions paperwork but they typically address this issue. If people only allowed "qualified" surgeons to do the work we'd never have new doctors. At some point new doctors have to gain experience. Now that said...they are supposed to be standing right there supervising and teaching.

Waking up during surgery is common. Anesthesiology is really hard as people all react differently to it. If they give your husband too much then that's bad. Too little he wakes up. It isn't easy and the liability is huge which is why they make big bucks.

I agree that you need to find an attorney that specializes in medical malpractice so you can get clarification about what happened with your husband's surgery. They can help you sort through it all.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,899,168 times
Please take the advice of the others who are telling you to hire an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice. I have seen similar cases to your husband's as a former medical claims adjuster. You will not have a of receiving either answers or compensation on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: