Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 PM

478 posts, read 781,269 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Corvallis since 1983, except for a few years in Bend and 8 months in the Seattle area from 2010-2011. When I returned to Corvallis last summer, it was just about impossible to get even an "ok" place to rent. I stayed with a friend for a bit, shared an apartment for a bit just to have a place at all, and then I was lucky enough to get a nice place because I knew the landlord from before and he had one of his places open up.

Oregon State University enrollment is the highest ever, and that's what has made the rental situation next to impossible. I'm just so glad to have a nice apartment.

This is a heads-up to anyone looking to rent here, and also I'd like to hear from others about any info or experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Yep.

Mediocre apartments at astronomical prices - if you're lucky.

There are a few things causing it. OSU has continued to grow, creating a lot of demand for rental housing. OSU has failed to build adequate new housing. Private companies have been bogged down in years of obstructionism by no-growth residents who don't seem to understand that buying a house doesn't actually give one dictatorial control over the entire city.

There is plenty of land available and plenty of interest in developing it, but some (not sure if there are really a lot of them or if it's just a few people who are exceptionally loud) would rather have empty overgrown lots (7th), abandoned buildings (Harrison), or parks beside other parks (Witham Oaks, where even leaving most of it as a natural area isn't enough).

Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Thanks Jason, the + on your rep came from me. OSU is just shrugging and saying it's not their problem--I say they should at least take part of the responsibility.

As far as development, I do love Corvallis and part of the reason is because it's not so open to big-box stores and developers ... but I think it's going too far here. I'm glad Home Depot is here now, and we could use a few more employers. I'm sure there are a lot of people who do like I do and go to Albany to buy some things because we don't have the same in Corvallis.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Agreed. It has gone too far. While I don't want unfettered growth and its resulting problems (I moved here from a town that was about the same size as Corvallis, but which had traffic problems that would rival most major cities), it is possible to arrive at some sane midpoint that lets the town grow and lets people find jobs and housing. Corvallis has gone way too far to the other extreme and is now driving people away.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 PM

758 posts, read 2,363,267 times
An upturn in the economy will fix this. The other thing no one has mentioned is the large number of people who have lost/abandoned their houses and are now in the rental pool - but their houses sit until resold.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 PM

An upturn in the economy will make more rentals available?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,469,687 times
Yes, because homes won't go into forclosure and there will be more people qualified to buy a house.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Yes, because homes won't go into forclosure and there will be more people qualified to buy a house.
We're talking long-term, then. Ok, I see the connection, and that will be good.

I still think OSU should take a more active part in this. Many of their students are having hardship because of it, too.

Last edited by OregonYeti; 01-24-2012 at 09:08 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,456 times
I've lived in Corvallis for 23 years now and like the small town atmosphere as well as anyone else but the student housing situation is getting out of hand. In my neighborhood a number of smaller houses have been torn down to build large single family dwellings to house students. I guess that's one way to get around the building code.

My wife and I have/are considering building a cottage behind our house to serve as a rental but I have some real apprehension about trying to get a permit.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 PM

I don't trust the students to respect rental property. Many of them do, of course, but many of them don't. My kids live with their mom in a house that we own. A guy next door to them got crazy and traumatized my kids in their own home. I am really hesitant to rent out any property I own seeing how some college kids (and yes some of them are kids) have no idea how to be part of a community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon