U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:25 PM

15,296 posts, read 15,368,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibusurfer View Post
Just because you have a degree does not make you any smarter IMO... I chose to get mine for personal benefit. Even my neighbors are smart enough to realize that if you work you can have what you want (or at least a goal), but you HAVE to WORK!! They know they are not entitled to anything unless they work hard for it.
Somewhere along the years people have forgotten that core principle, and it is spreading (already in cities it seems) to our youth culture. So having that attitude of not mooching off the government is somehow not "progressive" or "forward thinking"??? IMO I feel that is personal responsiblity and the way it should be!!! I am so tired of hearing how past generation just didn't "get it".... They built this country and have to be shaking their heads in disgust to what we have done to it!!
I am educated and conservative!! Apparently that is shocking nowadays :-)
Welcome to the 21st century. The jobs that supported the 20th century are gone. They have been mechanized, automated and offshored out of existence Instead of hiring 50 weak minds and strong backs to dig ditches, one guy on a backhoe does the job. Instead of hiring 3000 people to work in a factory, 300 work there and machines do most of the work. Finger work has been offshored to China or Viet Nam in search of low dollar skilled workers.

The fact is, half the population is below average. Anyone graduating in the bottom half of their high school class has a pretty bleak future ahead of them. The economy will never again support enough menial jobs to employ those people.

America is in the midst of an inexorable move toward a welfare state. Deploring that fact does no good. Instead, you should be focusing on ways to keep the lower class from degenerating into a criminal class supplementing their meager benefits with illegal activity. The earned income tax credit is an example of how benefits can be structured to go to people who are working but still below the poverty line.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 AM

69 posts, read 173,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Welcome to the 21st century. The jobs that supported the 20th century are gone. They have been mechanized, automated and offshored out of existence Instead of hiring 50 weak minds and strong backs to dig ditches, one guy on a backhoe does the job. Instead of hiring 3000 people to work in a factory, 300 work there and machines do most of the work. Finger work has been offshored to China or Viet Nam in search of low dollar skilled workers.

The fact is, half the population is below average. Anyone graduating in the bottom half of their high school class has a pretty bleak future ahead of them. The economy will never again support enough menial jobs to employ those people.

America is in the midst of an inexorable move toward a welfare state. Deploring that fact does no good. Instead, you should be focusing on ways to keep the lower class from degenerating into a criminal class supplementing their meager benefits with illegal activity. The earned income tax credit is an example of how benefits can be structured to go to people who are working but still below the poverty line.
In some states such as New Mexico, even the Middle Class does not hire newbies who are also in the Middle Class, especially if the newcomer is Conservative. I get the sense that this may also be happening in Oregon due to its history of liberal politics. That may be why this poster decided to go live in a rural town.

For the OP, back in 2010 the Libertarian and Constitutional party voters were 3% of the total vote for a new Governor. Yet Republican Dudley lost to democrat kitzheber by 1.5%. So if they had all voted Republican, then Chris Dudley would be the Governor.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM

43 posts, read 99,407 times
Boy that would have made Oregon politics exciting hHavin a repuplican governer in Oregon I mean, people in Portland/Will Valley would go bonkers and the rest of the state would laugh at them!!!.Instead we got kitzhaber again

Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM

2,301 posts, read 4,217,713 times
So what I get from this thread is that "rural conservatives are uneducated" and "urban liberals want to mooch off of the government."

I would suggest that we all have a lot more in common with each other as Oregonians than this leads readers to believe.

But how about this--rural conservatives mooch off the government with their ag subsidies?

And how about this--urban liberals are uneducated (have you heard some of the Occupy people speak on TV? Duuuuummmmmbbbbb!!!)

Here's another one--I'd bet rural conservatives want poverty-stricken schoolchildren (even inner-city kids) to get free hot lunch.

Last one--Don't you think urban liberals appreciate someone like Baxter Black, the Cowboy poet? After all, he appears on that bastion of liberal radio NPR fairly regularly.

Let's face it: we're suckers. We've been hoodwinked into believing exaggerated media portrayals of the urban rural cultural divide, and hoodwinked by our politicians that you can't trust the other guy. Do we have differences? Yes. Should those differences make us hate each other, or should we be seeking common ground? We can do it differently here in Oregon. We're already different from the other 49, in mostly good ways. We just can't be sucked in by the temptation to hate any longer.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:10 PM

297 posts, read 683,264 times
This is from 2009, but shows the data...

"A state analysis shows that overall, 16 percent of high school graduates from rural counties attended state universities last year compared to 22 percent from urban counties."
Oregon universities see urban-rural divide | OregonLive.com

More recent...

"About 31.2% of people in Oregon’s urban counties have a bachelor’s
degree or higher, compared to 19.5% in rural counties."
http://www.ous.edu/sites/default/fil...1IBRuralEd.pdf

Map showing Democrat vs Republican voting in Oregon...
CFM Strategic Communications - Oregon Insider: State Lobbying

Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,997,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
So what I get from this thread is that "rural conservatives are uneducated" and "urban liberals want to mooch off of the government."

I would suggest that we all have a lot more in common with each other as Oregonians than this leads readers to believe.

But how about this--rural conservatives mooch off the government with their ag subsidies?

And how about this--urban liberals are uneducated (have you heard some of the Occupy people speak on TV? Duuuuummmmmbbbbb!!!)

Here's another one--I'd bet rural conservatives want poverty-stricken schoolchildren (even inner-city kids) to get free hot lunch.

Last one--Don't you think urban liberals appreciate someone like Baxter Black, the Cowboy poet? After all, he appears on that bastion of liberal radio NPR fairly regularly.

Let's face it: we're suckers. We've been hoodwinked into believing exaggerated media portrayals of the urban rural cultural divide, and hoodwinked by our politicians that you can't trust the other guy. Do we have differences? Yes. Should those differences make us hate each other, or should we be seeking common ground? We can do it differently here in Oregon. We're already different from the other 49, in mostly good ways. We just can't be sucked in by the temptation to hate any longer.
& :script:

Old 02-10-2012, 05:39 AM

15,296 posts, read 15,368,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12MILBID View Post
Boy that would have made Oregon politics exciting hHavin a repuplican governer in Oregon I mean, people in Portland/Will Valley would go bonkers and the rest of the state would laugh at them!!!.Instead we got kitzhaber again
The Republicans have a problem finding anyone who can get through the Oregon closed primary process. Dudley was a joke. Who would pick an NBA basketball player with no record of public service for governor? Yet, that's who the "core" Republicans nominated. The standing joke was that Dudley was about as qualified to be governor as Kitzhaber was to play NBA basketball.

The Oregon legislature has some very fine Republican senators and representatives. The Republican leadership is competent, and works well with the Democrats to run the state. They don't seem prey to the national Republican mania for social engineering. It's a mystery to me why the party doesn't recruit them to run for statewide office. That's where Kitzhaber came from. As Senate President he had a reputation for building coalitions to pass constructive legislation, so people thought he would make a pretty good governor.

As for Republican governors, they have a pretty good track record. Vic Atiyeh served during the 1980-1982 recession, and he set out to recession-proof the state by broadening the economic base. He was a little Lebanese rug merchant from Portland who picked up his sample case and spent as much time in the Far East as he did in Oregon, setting up trade contacts all over the Pacific. He brought many international corporations and thousands of jobs to Oregon, at a time when that was desperately needed. He was re-elected to his second term with the largest voter margin in 32 years. Even the Democrats agreed the guy earned his paycheck. Unlike Dudley, he had 18 years in the Oregon Legislature to familiarize him with the way things work, which gave the voters confidence in his competence.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 AM

306 posts, read 375,406 times

But no matter how educated we get there will always be a bottom half of a class even if they all got 3.5 or above. I think that is a growing problem today too many folks with degree demanding top wages and there will never be enough of those jobs unless we are all willing to pay alot more for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon