Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 12,306 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I will be moving to the North Bend area this summer. I'm in the Coast Guard so that's where we're getting stationed for 4 years. We're originally from Michigan/Iowa and after living 4 years in South Texas (near the border) we are ready to leave this place as fast as we can!!!! Weather is too hot, too humid, never rains and it's dirty and the beaches are nasty too so we're excited to head to the Northwest.

We would appreciate any information on the area.

some questions we have are:
1. How is the housing market there? We're thinking about buying a house and possibly using that as a rental/investment property. After we leave North Bend I'll only have 6 years left in the Coast Guard.

2. Would it be better to live in one of the surrounding areas such as Reedsport, Bandon or Coquille?

3. Is it really as bad as i've read on some other forums? One of the guys i'm stationed with down here is originally from North Bend and says he loves it there, and two other guys that I work with have been stationed there already and also say they love it and want to move back there.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
I'd live in Coos Bay or Bandon personally, maybe somewhere between Coquille and Coos Bay. Perhaps Charleston, but not Reedsport. The commute is too long, especially during tourist season. North Bend and Coos Bay are pretty much one entity BTW. It's not Coos Bay and North Bend, it's Coos Bay.

I LOVE that area too, I just wouldn't recommend anyone to move there if you don't already have jobs, or need to worry about schooling for children.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 PM

9 posts, read 30,180 times
Coos Bay is a wonderful place to live, IF you have a secure job (like the CG)! It is simply beautiful here, even with all the rain. If you are outdoorsy, you will be in heaven... not just ATVs and the dunes, there is hiking, kayaking, fishing, you name it! The housing market is still pretty depressed, but the rental market is very hot, so buying a home would be awesome if you can (so many good deals) and renting it later should be no problem. Where to live really depends on what you are used to, and what you want. If you don't mind the commute, then you can find cheaper homes, often with acerage, in places like Coquille and Reedsport. Coquille is a 30 minute commute to Coos Bay, so keep that in mind. I guess it depends on where you will be stationed for work. Will your spouse be working; do you have kids? All this makes a difference in where you want to land. Jobs are scarce, especially good-paying ones. WI would be happy to answer any direct questions if you sent me a message. Good luck!

Also, there are so many micro-climates here- for instance the Empire district, near Charleston is very affordable because it is almost always fogged in and COLD! But 2 miles inland in Englewood is often 10-15 degrees warmer, and wind protected besides. I would advise living here for 6 months before you buy, and ask locals about the different neighborhoods. Everyone is so friendly and kind- you won't find a more down-to-earth town!

Last edited by Coldstream04; 02-12-2012 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: additions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon