Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 AM

69 posts, read 186,573 times

Advertisements

For those of us stuck in overpopulated metro areas on the Coasts .... looking for a "small town experience" .....

I have been to Bend and Ashland many times .....

I haven't seen these towns compared on this web site, and I wonder if they hate each other because they are truly "different." (i.e. Yin-Yang, for example)

Nevertheless, how would you compare Ashland and Bend in terms of ....

1. Unemployment Rate (and, I mean jobs in the city limits of Ashland due to its cultural uniqueness, not counting Medford jobs in big box stores and blue collar work, although I have no issues working in these environments.)

2. Ongoing Construction and Landscaping Jobs ..... i.e. the State of Oregon and Bend will not extend their urban growth boundary so there are no jobs in these fields ..... 13% unemployment .......

3. Do employers only hire Students at COCC and SOU, or would they consider someone who is older and a transplant who would also take minimum wage???

4. The people ...... Bend and its City Council has this really strange obsession with promoting its breweries, and they also have a drug problem and even meth. I don't do any of that stuff, and am looking for a place with no drugs, no meth, and an emphasis on health and wellness.

5. What is the level of commitment of folks to mountain biking, running etc. In both places, are there places to work-out and clubs and meeting groups for outdoor sports?

6. Level of philanthropy and sense of community. 80,000 in Bend is a lot of people. 20,000 in Ashland is smaller, do people interact more?
Where is it easiest to make friends, of any age?

7. Level of Spirituality, Buddhism, and Alternative Religions. I don't sense any of this in Bend, it just seems like an overcrowded area with high population density of Rich, Conservative Californians, who can afford vacation homes, and are always in a hurry speeding on 97. Is Ashland more laid back?

8. The presence of Artists, Photographers, Musicians, and Writers. Between Bend and Ashland, what city is highest? And, I do NOT mean bands who travel from other towns and charge $50 in Bend, like Peter Paul and Mary. Where is there a higher percentage of self-employed writers, artists, musicians, and photographers?

9. Does the Ashland City Council and Ashland Mayor respond with interest to concerns of their constituents? In Bend, they don't, and are very inept, since the people wanted the boundary extended so they can go back to work, but the City Council has deferred it yet again.

10. Are these questions irrelevant, considering that the towns are in reality quite similar, and/or impossible to compare?

Thanks in advance .....No need for every respondent to answer all of them, of course.......

Dear folks,
I will change my question - I am looking for a City with a SENSE OF COMMUNITY, where the locals WANT to get to know the newcomers, and one feels "welcomed" right away.

I'm not sure if Bend meets these criteria, since the City is poorly planned with many streets, US highways, and a freeway cutting parts of the city away from each other.

And, the Rich, Liberal folks on the west side are snobbish, and don't like the Conservative, Poor folks on the east side. That's ridiculous. And, it's the sort of attitude that many of us leaving Big Metros are trying to get away from (like Lake Oswego and Bellevue vs. the rest of Portland and Seattle, respectively).

And, many Bend residents are part time, rich Republican Californians or Portlandians, who have second homes in Bend, and aren't there full time. Furthermore, the city does not even have a University.

If someone moves to Ashland, is there a definite sense of community consisting of a *PERMANENT* population, and how easy is it to make friends?

Typical question, of course, all over city-data on many forums for many cities. Thanks.

JR1

Last edited by Marka; 02-16-2012 at 04:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 AM

381 posts, read 1,016,013 times
Strangely enough, my missus and I found a small-town feel in an unlikely place. We'll be moving there in a couple of weeks.

When we were sniffing around in Rockaway Beach, it's full-blown winter, which means few-to-no tourists. Most of the folks walking on the beach are the permanent residents. We spent literally hours talking to folks who cheerily explained (once we asked) how long they've lived there, what the town is like, the city politics and such... it's a very small-town feeling.

As far as jobs, I already have one, and I can take it with me there: I'll be telecommuting for most of the week, driving in (90 minutes each way in my 33mpg econobox) once or twice a week. This allows me to keep a foot on the beach and a foot in the industry.

We'll be renting for a couple of years to see how it works out - whether or not we want to grow old in the town, whether or not the telecommuting thing will work, etc.

It'll be a fun and interesting experiment, to say the least.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
It sounds like you already have your mind made up; your posts seem pretty anti-Bend.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It sounds like you already have your mind made up; your posts seem pretty anti-Bend.
Was just about to highlight this.

People may not be responding because it's hardly a question at all. More of statements/leading statements to a forgone conclusion. That and a strait bashing of Bend.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
I'm having a difficult time following your posts. As other's stated, it feels more like an all out bashing of Bend. I guess I'll take the bait and see if you truly are asking questions or just trying to push your anti-bend agenda. My responses are in blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRidge1 View Post
Dear folks,
I will change my question - I am looking for a City with a SENSE OF COMMUNITY, where the locals WANT to get to know the newcomers, and one feels "welcomed" right away.

I'm not sure if Bend meets these criteria, since the City is poorly planned with many streets, US highways, and a freeway cutting parts of the city away from each other. First of all, I think Bend actually meets all of your criteria above. I moved here 3.5 years ago and immediately felt welcomed. My husband & I have made more friends in our time here than any other place we've lived since our college days. There are tons of community activities, whether you like street festivals, outdoor concerts, volunteer opportunities, outdoor activities, etc. I've met many friends by just walking up to them and striking up a conversation. Bend is pretty small, and a nice mix of transplants from all over the country.

And, the Rich, Liberal folks on the west side are snobbish, and don't like the Conservative, Poor folks on the east side. That's ridiculous. And, it's the sort of attitude that many of us leaving Big Metros are trying to get away from (like Lake Oswego and Bellevue vs. the rest of Portland and Seattle, respectively).Sure, you might find those stereotypes in Bend, if you really look, but they are mostly just stereotypes. We live on the east side of town, are pretty damn liberal, and consider ourselves middle-class. Our friends are a mix of people, and that makes it's beautiful and interesting! The attitude you speak of comes from you "metro's", if you want my honest opinion.

And, many Bend residents are part time, rich Republican Californians or Portlandians, who have second homes in Bend, and aren't there full time. Furthermore, the city does not even have a University.Rubbish! Again, you will find this, but by and far Bend residents live here full time. Your feeding into that stereotype. In regards to the University, I'm not sure where you're going with this. Plenty of small towns don't have one. What's your point?

If someone moves to Ashland, is there a definite sense of community consisting of a *PERMANENT* population, and how easy is it to make friends? Can't answer this one, as I don't live in Bend, but again, your ideals about Bend are off, IMHO.

Typical question, of course, all over city-data on many forums for many cities. Thanks.

JR1

Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,717 times
Quote:
Dear folks,
I think you're looking for a different civic culture than what the regional zeitgeist in Oregon offers. Many Oregonians are somewhat reserved and they do not "neighbor" the way that Midwesterners and some East Coast residents do. We tolerate almost everyone, but get excited about interacting with almost no one. When you form a real friendship here it's because you've earned it over time. Oregonians can be passionate about the cities and towns they call home, but if you're searching for Mayberry or Lake Wobegon, it ain't here.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,013 times
Not so sure about the East Coast, but I've found a decent amount of neighbors who I have come to know in fairly quick order. The only exception I can think of is the apartment complex I'm about to move out of... mostly because the folks here are in and gone before a year has passed, so it's hard to form neighborly relationships in such a transient setting.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
I live in Ashland, and I would say that most of the inhabitants are wealthy, exurban (from coastal California), white, educated, a bit full of themselves, trendy (Buddhisms, Feng Shui, Yoga,etc.), civic-minded, pretty generous, fitness-oriented, and not very religious. Jobs are few and pretty far between. With Medford it is a larger pool, but even that comes nowhere close to maintaining the Ashland lifestyle. That lifestyle is funded by imported money, for the most part. Great climate, scenery, and outdoor stuff though.It appeals to people who are looking for the perfect place, and have the buck to decide without much regard for employment.

I cannot speak for Bend, but it sounds like a nice place. Draws many of the same type people, of which apparently you are one. Flip a coin!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 PM

69 posts, read 186,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I think you're looking for a different civic culture than what the regional zeitgeist in Oregon offers. Many Oregonians are somewhat reserved and they do not "neighbor" the way that Midwesterners and some East Coast residents do. We tolerate almost everyone, but get excited about interacting with almost no one. When you form a real friendship here it's because you've earned it over time. Oregonians can be passionate about the cities and towns they call home, but if you're searching for Mayberry or Lake Wobegon, it ain't here.
Hey - I Agree with that, great comments. Yes, the East Coast, and also north to Seattle, Washington, and south to the Bay Area in California. From my visits to Oregon, it's clear that Oregonians are definitely very introverted.

JR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I live in Ashland, and I would say that most of the inhabitants are wealthy, exurban (from coastal California), white, educated, a bit full of themselves, trendy (Buddhisms, Feng Shui, Yoga,etc.), civic-minded, pretty generous, fitness-oriented, and not very religious. Jobs are few and pretty far between. With Medford it is a larger pool, but even that comes nowhere close to maintaining the Ashland lifestyle. That lifestyle is funded by imported money, for the most part. Great climate, scenery, and outdoor stuff though.It appeals to people who are looking for the perfect place, and have the buck to decide without much regard for employment.

I cannot speak for Bend, but it sounds like a nice place. Draws many of the same type people, of which apparently you are one. Flip a coin!

Thanks .... appreciate it .... flipping a coin might be the only way to find out.

However, obviously, neither Bend nor Ashland have self-sustaining economies, and depend on money from elsewhere (mostly California and elsewhere in Oregon according to the Forbes Migration Stats web site). So, one would need to tellecommute or else wait months or years to get a job.

Forbes -

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Last edited by Marka; 02-16-2012 at 04:55 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
Quote:
Hey - I Agree with that, great comments. Yes, the East Coast, and also north to Seattle, Washington, and south to the Bay Area in California. From my visits to Oregon, it's clear that Oregonians are definitely very introverted.

JR1

Thanks .... appreciate it .... flipping a coin might be the only way to find out.

However, obviously, neither Bend nor Ashland have self-sustaining economies, and depend on money from elsewhere (mostly California and elsewhere in Oregon according to the Forbes Migration Stats web site). So, one would need to tellecommute or else wait months or years to get a job.

Forbes -

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

I am not sure I would say the economies are not self-sustaining. But rather the inflated housing market depended upon equity nomads. And we know how that turned out. Telecommuting is also common. Nomads are the biggest challenge and they have pumped prices up far beyond the reach of local wage, at least in Ashland. But the tsunami of bubble-rich folk had diminished markedly. And, things are settling back closer to normal. Ashland is still a bit high, but finally starting to settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon